There's a rat in ma kitchen !

Mike_S

Visit site
There\'s a rat in ma kitchen !

What am I gonna do ?!

Well, not exactly a rat, I'm just looking on wikipedia to try and work out what it is but whatever it is, I got somewhat of a shock when I went down to the boat this afternoon to fit my new solar panel. Haven't been down for a couple of weeks and needed to just start the engine up for a while. Anyway I took the cover off and noticed loads of fluff on the back seat, then spotted a nice fresh turd on the carpet /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif, by which point I'm wondering whether I'm looking for a duck in the cuddy or something. Opened up the cupboard under the sink to get some kitchen roll to clear up the mess (which is in the main cockpit area, not cuddy) and there's 2 eyes looking at me, attached to a jet black furry creature about a foot long. I don't know who jumped the most, me or it !!

I then spent the next half hour clearing everything out of the cupboard as it's clearly been trying to nest everything up, as well taking a few nibbles of a sponge that's in the cupboard. I thought it had gone and hidden behind the water bottle, so sent the wifes' camera phone round the back to see if it was there, nothing /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Took the bottle out and sure enough, nothing there. Looked all round the cupboard and couldn't find it, which meant it's legged it into the hull /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cleared up the mess, fitted the solar panel and got all the seat bases out of the boat ready to come home. I'm checking the mooring lines when SWMBO shouts "It's there, on the pontoon", pointing further down. I missed it, so went for a wander and spotted it *under* the walkway, using the steel support "I" beam on the side to run along. It ran back towards our boat and tried to hop across, seems to have been getting on through one of the engine bay vents in the side. Got a good look at it then so I'm trying to work out what it is now. From wikipedia it's either a european mink or a ferret. Description is it's got jet black fur, just over a foot long with a 5-6" long tail so if anyone's down at CBYC towards N pontoon (ie right down the end) and sees something black and ferret like running around near WhiSkiNWater, try and point it in a different direction as I'm not taking in non-paying guests /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

graham

Visit site
Re: There\'s a rat in ma kitchen !

I think its probably a mink as its been spotted on the pontoons before. Personally I would get some traps as it may take an interest in your upholstery /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

damo

longkeel35.org.uk

Could still be a rat /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif If it is then MAKE SURE YOU GET RID OF IT.

Check sea cock hoses and electrics /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

sarabande

Visit site

PM RogerRat, or I'll lend you a brace of mink hounds.

Because mink have very small stomachs and a short digestive tract,, they have to eat about a dozen times a day, with consequential transit time of about 3 hours and about 20 excretions a day. They have endo- and ectoparasites, carry enteritis bugs and distemper (watch out for domestic dogs and cats), and even botulism, as well as various pnuemonia strains. Toxoplasmosis is also found when mink have been eating food/faeces contaminated by cats.

Definitely call RR, and notify the marina authority too.

LizzyD

Visit site

I know there's loads of mink in the Bay area. We have traps all around our club. I think they belong to the council - the traps not the mink. I asked the trap man what happens of they catch one. He told me that it's returned to their depot and they put some lead in its ear.

Lizzy D

Mike_S

Visit site

I'll ring the yacht club tomorrow and let them know, the last thing I want is a nest of the damn things living in the boat. I'm fairly convinced it'a a mink having spent the last hour on the net looking at every relation to the otter known to man. It's certainly not a rat anyway, it's far too furry.

Thanks for the heads up on the distemper though, we take the dog out on the boat all the time. Boat will be coming out of the water in January so we'll give it a damn good steaming out when we clean it, the carpets need dealing with anyway.

It looks like this anyway

mink2.jpg

Mike_S

Visit site

Well, that's what I thought. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SWMBO tried tempting it out with a mince pie, I suggested biscuits /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Allan

Visit site

When I lived in Surrey some animal rights idiots let out most of the animals from the local mink farm. They destroyed a large portion of the local wildlife. A friends father owned a tree nursery nearby and they even attacked his dog. That was over 30 years ago and I heard a couple of years ago there are still some in the common land nearby.
Allan

Mike_S

Visit site

A friend said that's where the bay mink have originated from, some farm miles away that was 'liberated' by the animal rights peeps. Downright nuisance.

Have called the club and am waiting for a call back, pest control officer req'd to deal with the little visitor.

Mike_S

Visit site

Trap set this morning /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pest control bloke's words were "oooh, they're having a party on here aren't they" /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif