There is certainly a shortage of good secondhand boats at present as you will see.

Poignard

Visit site
[...]
This boat ownership lark.....it's all sunny weather, puffy tradewind clouds, bikinis, mankinis (if that's your thing) and Pina Coladas....
I can't say I've noticed that

My boat ownership lark is more like: vile weather, grey overcast skies, fleeces and thermals, and hot soup . . . . :D

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I can't say I've noticed that

My boat ownership lark is more like: vile weather, grey overcast skies, fleeces and thermals, and hot soup . . . . :D

You missed the bits out about crawling upside-down into inaccessible places and spending hours polishing and painting and getting antifoam out of your hair.

doug748

Visit site
this particular goose has been well and truly strangled.

Note: this will mean loss of business for all the associated commercial enterprises: boat yards, sailmakers, surveyors, engineers, gas fitters, chandleries, restaurants, cafes, etc... These are all hard-working people who have contributed to making the years spent in Falmouth amazing. I am sorry for them too. I wonder if any of them realise the impact this may have on their businesses.

Sad day for the region and the town.

(and sad for us, as we really love the place)

Yes. The people at Falmouth have previous from the time they initially arrived a few years ago. Many will remember that a similar attitude was taken up by Salcombe, some years ago and it took 10 years to shake off their stinking reputation.

Fortunately there are lots of anchorages and other alternatives around Falmouth, for the visitor.

Visit site
Mooring charges.
Ports and marinas run by a local authority have somewhat lagged behind privately run marinas in charges .
Private companies running marinas need to make a profit and provide a return of money borrowed on the open market, thry have to keep up with costs.

Recent R4 report on a harbour in the West country. Once a busy commercial fishing port, now only two boats remain active . The protective harbour wall is literally falling down exposing properties to wave action.
Previously all maintenance was funded from the fishing fleet. Who is going to cough up now, local rate payers or HMG.
But wasn't a certain political event going to rejuvenate OUR fishing?

Visit site
Yes. The people at Falmouth have previous from the time they initially arrived a few years ago. Many will remember that a similar attitude was taken up by Salcombe, some years ago and it took 10 years to shake off their stinking reputation.

Fortunately there are lots of anchorages and other alternatives around Falmouth, for the visitor.

I suppose the nice thing about boating is that there is one quick, "Don't get angry, get even" trick. On a flood tide, in the dark, open your holding tank.

TiggerToo

Visit site

but that does not really help the rest of the economy of the town. At the moment, the hospitality is helped significantly by the presence of the university students, but the other stuff (marine industry and associated) is sort of dependent on residents with some spare cash. If these are pushed elsewhere (e.g. Plymouth, in our case), they are going to suffer.

Yes, sure, I will carry on visiting. It is a delightful area, but that is not the same thing, for the local economy.

robertj

Visit site
I hope you're right: I might even buy one. Upon what do you base your thesis? Panic at rising interest rates?

well the whole world governments are printing money at an alarming rate. Global debt soaring, huge financial losses globally.
who will pay for this?
It definitely won’t be the elite or the man of straw but the good old working and middle classes.
when money is tight what goes first, food, stability, housing or luxuries?
Social credit and the NHS plan will certainly hit ordinary people hard.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
soon there will be plenty all very reasonably priced craft for sale.
you might be right, hope it works for you, but what I’ve learned is not to wait too long as time marches on and each summer of sailing is precious. That’s not something that comes sharply in to focus unless one can easily recall Ted Heath being usurped by Margaret Thatcher……

robertj

Visit site
you might be right, hope it works for you, but what I’ve learned is not to wait too long as time marches on and each summer of sailing is precious. That’s not something that comes sharply in to focus unless one can easily recall Ted Heath being usurped by Margaret Thatcher……

I totally agree. It’s definitely going to crash that’s predictions from a large portion of the economists. Time is of essence, get it now while one has time.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
What's your reason for thinking that, Sandy ?
Been a while since I looked at this thread.

Here is my thinking:
  • Overseas travel is going to open up as the perceived risk of COVID passes;
  • People will have their honeymoon summer with their new boat. It might be sunny or it might pish down with rain;
  • The cost of running a boat, e.g. marina fees are going to be higher than expected;
  • The cost of maintaining a boat will be higher than expected in terms of cash and time; and
  • Getting cold and wet will not be everybody's cup of tea.
After a year or so a lot of boats will be back on the market.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
would that be me?
(I didn't know you regarded me as your pal... but would be happy to count as one... ? )

Anyhow. Back to the important issue. Yes, I am livid. We have essentially been kicked out: I could not justify a 30% increase. We have very reluctantly have to move somewhere cheaper.
Not who I was thinking about unless you have two usernames and another boat.

You know we both lust after a Boreal 47.