There is certainly a shortage of good secondhand boats at present as you will see.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
The drop in sailing participation numbers often been lamented - if we have hoards of new participants, that should be encouraged and welcomed!
Don't say that to a few pals of mine who are livid at that the marina they use has done with their prices and berthing after 10 year of loyal custom!

Tranona

Visit site
Well, not a lot but I think I spy a Bavaria 37 for 52k and a Golden Hind ( one for Tranona's there) asking c 29k.

Both my boats in one post!. I sold my 37 like the one listed here for £43k in 2015. Charter boat so not quite as pristine, but similar level of equipment and same layout. See it is under offer.

The GH was on my list and would have been close to top if it did not have that awful ketch rig, which really does not suit the boat, no matter how well it was done. Pity because the rest of the boat is at a level that I hope mine will be when I have finished and spent a somewhat similar amount to the asking price. It has been on the market on and off for 3 or 4 years. Can only guess it is the rig that is holding it back. An equally nice one went last summer with and asking price £5k less - missed that one because of travel restrictions.

oldgit

Visit site
Princess P40. 2002.
UK boat £165.00 reduced to £155.000. Under Offer.

Princess P40. 2002.
Croatia. £104.000.
Fly in the ointment 20% BREXIT tax. :(

j24jam

Visit site
Princess P40. 2002.
UK boat £165.00 reduced to £155.000. Under Offer.

Princess P40. 2002.
Croatia. £104.000.
Fly in the ointment 20% BREXIT tax. :(

UK Boat is inc UK VAT, Croatian boat is ex EU VAT and has 50% more engine hours... Comparing apples with oranges...

SailingDog

Visit site
Bank of England predicting biggest fall in living standards for 30 years. Prices are rising fast everywhere. Lets see how much longer people feel comfortable splashing out without an equal uplift in wages/pensions.
You wouldn't suppose the benefits of being a member of the EU was kicking in among other things making it easier to sail to France and so on.

SailingDog

Visit site
Once international holidays are back to normal you won't be able to give away your boat.
OK for a few years yet then, the 'normal' you hark back to has gone, Covid, Brexit and falling living standards have seen to that. Boat ownership will be influenced far greater by these rather than trips to foreign parts.

oldgit

Visit site
UK Boat is inc UK VAT, Croatian boat is ex EU VAT and has 50% more engine hours... Comparing apples with oranges...

£50 K difference buys a lot of fruit as does that £20k Brexit tax to get in into UK
The UK boat has a history of 8 owners , present owner only having had boat for about a year and a lot of money spent on engines / fuel/ control systems for unclear reasons, also tales boat had been grounded in the Solent.
Its was long drive up to see that boat, got a copy of the survey .
There are apples and there are apples ? :)

Tranona

Visit site
£50 K difference buys a lot of fruit as does that £20k Brexit tax to get in into UK
The UK boat has a history of 8 owners , present owner only having had boat for about a year and a lot of money spent on engines / fuel/ control systems for unclear reasons, also tales boat had been grounded in the Solent.
Its was long drive up to see that boat, got a copy of the survey .
There are apples and there are apples ? :)
As I have said many times before the only thing that matters is getting the boat to where you want it in the condition you want. The asking price is only the starting point. The boat in Croatia is "cheap" because it is not a desirable boat there and a few years in the Med will not have done it any good. The difference in base price will soon be eaten up with costs to view, hassle with surveying, buying, getting the defects sorted, £15k for transport to UK and VAT on all your costs. It is only when you have got all those costs realistically totted up that you can see whether it is worth pursuing or not.

Sailing steve

Visit site
Wonder how many who have bought in the UK recently were previously annual Med charterers?

That's us. Nothing much to do with the 'Rona though.

We sold our last boat and started going for two weeks charter in Croatia every year instead but prices went up significantly every year and eventually doing that became too expensive yet despite that the coasts and marinas became so unpleasantly overcrowded it was a no brainer to give that up and buy another boat here in the UK.

oldgit

Visit site
As I have said many times before the only thing that matters is getting the boat to where you want it in the condition you want. The asking price is only the starting point. The boat in Croatia is "cheap" because it is not a desirable boat there and a few years in the Med will not have done it any good. The difference in base price will soon be eaten up with costs to view, hassle with surveying, buying, getting the defects sorted, £15k for transport to UK and VAT on all your costs. It is only when you have got all those costs realistically totted up that you can see whether it is worth pursuing or not.

Have always purchased boats as seen and lying.
Worst case scenerio a few days suffering in the sun with some decent food and wine to get over the disappointment of finding a pile of sun damaged unloved old poo .
Can do that here but in the cold rain and damp ie. Hartlepool and Penarth. :)
No flights to Split at the moment.

Last edited:

Beneteau381

Visit site
Surely the fact that owners are not putting their yachts on the market might suggest they are finding it is all sunny seas and F4 - and that a yacht is a better place, actually due to travel restrictions - the only place, in a Covid stricken world. Yes the world is opening up - but its hardly back to normal and we have son of Covid hanging around outside the door and the threat of other variants in the future. One's home might be your castle but the yacht offers a fortress on the water(better than some resort in the Costa Brava)

The Fat Lady has not sung yet.

Jonathan
Always look at history, 1918 flu followed the same pattern, also the way virus works. Why kill the host when the purpose isto reproduce. I suspect that it was manmade, extra bits stuck in and that is why it spread like it did, then evolution has ruled and the norm for a std virus is coming back.

Birdseye

Visit site
I looked at yachtsnet.co.uk web site earlier today and they do not have any boats for sale. Yachts for sale at Yachtsnet - UK sailing yacht brokerage and boat sales

Any other agents as badly off as this one.
I suspect there are quite a lot for sale but what has collapsed has been the advertising system. Lots of boats are being sold privately by word of mouth whilst many brokers arent sending out emails or even advertising but getting walk in cistomers the next day.

Visit site
A lot of the boats we have sold in the last two years in the UK have been to people brand new to boating.

I don't think many of those that have taken up boating will sell up once they can go abroad easily again, so cannot see a big drop in values when things 'go back to normal'...

We all got hooked at some point and are still playing boats...
Some of us are watching and waiting still

Visit site
Prices are going up massively. JR has a 2007 Oyster 53 for sale for £475k boats of this vintage three years ago were around £320K. Boats depreciate by abut 8% in real terms over time so when inflation reaches 8% boats stop going down in price in cash terms. We however have a boost owing to the difficulty of importing boats and the costs of new boats rising well above the price on inflation.

I disagree that this is a short term fad, the fundamentals are that boat prices have bottomed out.
Let's see and revisit the issue in a year?