There is certainly a shortage of good secondhand boats at present as you will see.

Visit site
As I have said many times before the only thing that matters is getting the boat to where you want it in the condition you want. The asking price is only the starting point. The boat in Croatia is "cheap" because it is not a desirable boat there and a few years in the Med will not have done it any good. The difference in base price will soon be eaten up with costs to view, hassle with surveying, buying, getting the defects sorted, £15k for transport to UK and VAT on all your costs. It is only when you have got all those costs realistically totted up that you can see whether it is worth pursuing or not.
Zašto ne ostaviti ga tamo?

Visit site
That's us. Nothing much to do with the 'Rona though.

We sold our last boat and started going for two weeks charter in Croatia every year instead but prices went up significantly every year and eventually doing that became too expensive yet despite that the coasts and marinas became so unpleasantly overcrowded it was a no brainer to give that up and buy another boat here in the UK.
I suppose the issue with Croatia is that almost all Austrians and an awful lot of Germans keep their boats there to save having to have an icebreaker if they otherwise keep a boat in the Baltic. No shortage of customers. At the moment I feel that keeping a boat in the UK in the south in a marina will cost me c 10-12 k £ per year. That's several weeks of charter in Hrvatska, where the water is warmer and the beer + food a lot cheaper.

jac

Visit site
But IS there? On a couple of the websites I've been watching a lot of boats NOT being sold. Perhaps they are not "good"?
I'm also looking to buy and i think both points are true, it just depends on the boat.

I'm looking at probably fairly mainstream boats - 35-38 feet - £50k - £60k tops so my search is a bit wider than that.

I see your true mainstream AWBs, 1990's plus then a vaguely well equipped one in decent condition will go quickly and there are few available.
Your boats OVER 30 years old without modern accommodation, that look a bit tired and are perhaps lacking modern equipment are lounging round for ages. especially if they are examples of some long defunct manufacturer.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Prices are going up massively. JR has a 2007 Oyster 53 for sale for £475k boats of this vintage three years ago were around £320K. Boats depreciate by abut 8% in real terms over time so when inflation reaches 8% boats stop going down in price in cash terms. We however have a boost owing to the difficulty of importing boats and the costs of new boats rising well above the price on inflation.

I disagree that this is a short term fad, the fundamentals are that boat prices have bottomed out.
Neither of the two Oysters on his site have gone up in price since listed. In fact the 56 has been reduced since it first appeared in mid 2019.

Oyster 45s have not gone up either.

Ive been tracking the price of these marks for some time. Your claim is wildly incorrect. Sorry!

oldgit

Visit site
Zašto ne ostaviti ga tamo?

"Zašto ne ostaviti ga tamo?"

For some, far to hot in summer , certainly no impromptu days out or lets just nip onto on the boat for quick run out with a few chums.
As for the long disproven "cheap flights" myth and 150 more chances of getting catching C****. ?

Visit site
"Zašto ne ostaviti ga tamo?"

For some, far to hot in summer , certainly no impromptu days out or lets just nip onto on the boat for quick run out with a few chums.
As for the long disproven "cheap flights" myth and 150 more chances of getting catching C****. ?
Certainly, flights are not cheap now. For me it's difficult to cost the utility of just "being able to pop down to the boat on a whim". I'm lucky in that I am just 30 mins from Hamble and Soton. The fleshpots of Portsmouth and the culture of Gosport are not far either.

Visit site
QUite. Ignoring the fact that Stanst ead is only of use to a small proportion of the population, add in the extras like bags and the coasts rocket. Also, Trieste isn't much use for anywhere other than the Kvaerner Gulf.

TiggerToo

Visit site
Don't say that to a few pals of mine who are livid at that the marina they use has done with their prices and berthing after 10 year of loyal custom!
would that be me?
(I didn't know you regarded me as your pal... but would be happy to count as one... ? )

Anyhow. Back to the important issue. Yes, I am livid. We have essentially been kicked out: I could not justify a 30% increase. We have very reluctantly have to move somewhere cheaper.

doug748

Visit site
Don't say that to a few pals of mine who are livid at that the marina they use has done with their prices and berthing after 10 year of loyal custom!

would that be me?
(I didn't know you regarded me as your pal... but would be happy to count as one... )
Anyhow. Back to the important issue. Yes, I am livid. We have essentially been kicked out: I could not justify a 30% increase. We have very reluctantly have to move somewhere cheaper.

I think I have dropped the thread here, is it a UK marina that has hoisted up fees by 30% ? In the Solent?

doug748

Visit site
Indeed, I note that Falmouth are putting rates up by up to 30% according to CornwallLive:

".....Pleasure boat users in Cornwall’s largest seaside town will be a faced with a huge price hike from now on, and the pandemic is to blame.

Yachts, fishing boats, motorboats, and every other pleasure craft using Falmouth Harbour will have to pay 30% more for using moorings, berths and boat parking.

Falmouth Harbour authority said the price increase was necessary because of rising costs through the pandemic............"

+ the Fowey paddling tax, discussed elsewhere. Looks like they are keen to strangle the Golden Goose.

Visit site
The pandemic is being blamed for everything. I bet they haven't paid their staff 30% more. Inflation is only c5% so they are extracting the urine. Another good reason for me to sit and watch still. I think it's going to be next year that I seriously look at a boat- if ever.

TiggerToo

Visit site
+ the Fowey paddling tax, discussed elsewhere. Looks like they are keen to strangle the Golden Goose.
this particular goose has been well and truly strangled.

Note: this will mean loss of business for all the associated commercial enterprises: boat yards, sailmakers, surveyors, engineers, gas fitters, chandleries, restaurants, cafes, etc... These are all hard-working people who have contributed to making the years spent in Falmouth amazing. I am sorry for them too. I wonder if any of them realise the impact this may have on their businesses.

Sad day for the region and the town.

(and sad for us, as we really love the place)

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Mooring charges.
Ports and marinas run by a local authority have somewhat lagged behind privately run marinas in charges .
Private companies running marinas need to make a profit and provide a return of money borrowed on the open market, thry have to keep up with costs.

Recent R4 report on a harbour in the West country. Once a busy commercial fishing port, now only two boats remain active . The protective harbour wall is literally falling down exposing properties to wave action.
Previously all maintenance was funded from the fishing fleet. Who is going to cough up now, local rate payers or HMG.