The Truth About Sailing On The Algarve

nortada

Visit site
Re: 2019 Light Dues.

The fee is not only for lights but also for buoyage. I suspect that for many people the buoys are more important than the lights but the entrance to a channel can be a bit tricky too although I agree that lighthouses are less important than they used to be.

Very true but as we know buoyage around The Algarve is sparse at not always that reliable - as visitors sometimes discover!

For many years entry to The Guadiana was a case in point but of late it has improved.

In this case I suspect Spain & Portugal hold each other responsible but little comfort of you end up on the training wall (on the Spanish side)

GHA

Visit site

Very true but as we know buoyage around The Algarve is sparse at not always that reliable - as visitors sometimes discover!

For many years entry to The Guadiana was a case in point but of late it has improved.

In this case I suspect Spain & Portugal hold each other responsible but little comfort of you end up on the training wall (on the Spanish side)

Doubt if any of that will get you a discount...... "But I don't look at the lights or buoys, I should pay less!" ;)

nortada

Visit site

Doubt if any of that will get you a discount...... "But I don't look at the lights or buoys, I should pay less!" ;)

Agree.

Better still don't sail in the dark after beer '0clock. Rather than pick up one of their's I would prefer to drink from my pot. Then there all all of those 'bits of string' in the water so after dark, if not in the bar, I will be at least 5nm off shore all around the Iberian Coast.

But back to topic - As said before, it will be interesting to see how emandvee44 gets on at the Portimao Capitania?

See Greeny managed to get a good deal; wonder where that was?

Last edited:

emandvee44

Visit site

But back to topic - As said before, it will be interesting to see how emandvee44 gets on at the Portimao Capitania?

M & V just back from the Capitania - do not go there! - They will charge €70 for 6 months for foreigners, and I asked them to confirm that it was for 6 months, not one year. The very nice lady did say sorry, but what could she do.

Ours is due in June so may look at other options:) (like leaving the country)

Cheers,

Michael.

greeny

Visit site
Bad news so where did Green go❓

Paid 8.50 for a portuguese registered rib earlier this year. Last time I paid for the SSR sailing boat was last year around June time and it was 11.50. It's obviously gone up now. Both these payments were at Portimao but sounds like they've increased their prices as have the rest. I'll recheck the paperwork for the rib next time i'm down at the boat.

greeny

Visit site

M & V just back from the Capitania - do not go there! - They will charge €70 for 6 months for foreigners, and I asked them to confirm that it was for 6 months, not one year. The very nice lady did say sorry, but what could she do.

Ours is due in June so may look at other options:) (like leaving the country)

Cheers,

Michael.

Thanks for that warning. I'll keep away from Portimao this year. Don't understand where the 6 months came from though if the list published earlier in the thread is correct. I'll make some discreet enquiries and try to find out.

Visit site

Thanks for that warning. I'll keep away from Portimao this year. Don't understand where the 6 months came from though if the list published earlier in the thread is correct. I'll make some discreet enquiries and try to find out.

I took it straight from the Diario da Republica so more correct would be difficult to find. As has been seen in the past not all Capitanias are efficient.

crashtack

Visit site

Faro is much cheaper, I paid €11.50 this Morning for a year.

Also, to Nortada, 5nm is optimistic!! I got caught up in a lobster pot 80 miles offshore last year, on the way back from Madeira to Cascais. The West coast can be an absolute nightmare for Sailing.

nortada

Visit site

Faro is much cheaper, I paid €11.50 this Morning for a year.

Also, to Nortada, 5nm is optimistic!! I got caught up in a lobster pot 80 miles offshore last year, on the way back from Madeira to Cascais. The West coast can be an absolute nightmare for Sailing.

Nice one cashtrack wonder how long before Faro wise up?

Lobster pot 80nm off shore! Not your day. What depth was that in? Any lobsters in the pot?

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com

Currently sitting in Capitainerie Albufeira and getting whamoed for €70 for a year. Oh well, we do not pay much for Portuguese public services.

Visit site

Arrived in Faro the other day.

I've already come acoros the lobster pot mine fields sailing between Spain and Porgual. I thought it was crazy that they extend right from the beach to nearly 12nm off shore with gaps of only a few hundred meters.

That was nothing compared to turning into the channel to head up to Culatra, only to discover 5 small boats just floating around inside the entrance fishing. What the hell are they thinking?

Still, I think this one beats the lot. Making my way up the narrow channel from Culatra to Faro, and I see a fisherman setting his net across the width of the channel. WTF??!

I think it's time to buy a nice big rope cutter for my prop just in case.

Heckler

Visit site

I've already come acoros the lobster pot mine fields sailing between Spain and Porgual. I thought it was crazy that they extend right from the beach to nearly 12nm off shore with gaps of only a few hundred meters.

That was nothing compared to turning into the channel to head up to Culatra, only to discover 5 small boats just floating around inside the entrance fishing. What the hell are they thinking?

Still, I think this one beats the lot. Making my way up the narrow channel from Culatra to Faro, and I see a fisherman setting his net across the width of the channel. WTF??!

Where are you? Am near buoy 21

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Where's your sense of adventure?:) We sailed from Faro to Guadiana yesterday and thought there were fewer pot and net markers than usual but, they're not much of a problem anyway as they use weighted lines and don't have pickup buoys on long floating lines, unlike the UK. As for the nets in the channel to Faro, it's fairly deep water and the nets are bottom weighted so not an obstruction.

nortada

Visit site
Floating Lines

Where's your sense of adventure?:) We sailed from Faro to Guadiana yesterday and thought there were fewer pot and net markers than usual but, they're not much of a problem anyway as they use weighted lines and don't have pickup buoys on long floating lines, unlike the UK. As for the nets in the channel to Faro, it's fairly deep water and the nets are bottom weighted so not an obstruction.

Only place I have picked up lines is around Portimao where they like to string nets between two buoys. :(

Cutter doesn’t touch them so it is over the side with a bread knife. :disgust:

Visit site

I read, almost weekly, that the PM have removed ilegal nets and from time to time, caught and fined the culprit - did you report the case ?

Visit site

Where are you? Am near buoy 21

Closer to red 22 than green 23. In the shallow area. You must be just opposite the sand bar.

As I was coming through close to 21 at low tide, there was a skipper on a boat that I lightheartedly asked if he reckoned I'd get through. Was it you? My boat is a Prout 35, there is a Lagoon 380 next to me now.