The Truth About Sailing On The Algarve

Heckler

Visit site
Re: 2019 Light Dues.

Closer to red 22 than green 23. In the shallow area. You must be just opposite the sand bar.

As I was coming through close to 21 at low tide, there was a skipper on a boat that I lightheartedly asked if he reckoned I'd get through. Was it you? My boat is a Prout 35, there is a Lagoon 380 next to me now.
Am in Bruces now, lifted yesterday

nortada

Visit site

We are flying into Faro on Tuesday 22nd October so will arrive back before Brexit and not have to ‘’flash’ our residencia documents to gain access to Portugal.

However, when/if Brexit happens it might be useful if inbound Brits (with or without residencia) report their experiences.

My Instinct suggests (deal or no deal), little will change.

capnsensible

Visit site

We are flying into Faro on Tuesday 22nd October so will arrive back before Brexit and not have to ‘’flash’ our residencia documents to gain access to Portugal.

However, when/if Brexit happens it might be useful if inbound Brits (with or without residencia) report their experiences.

My Instinct suggests (deal or no deal), little will change.

I saw a yacht with your name on in a marina on that coast a couple of weeks ago. Was going to nip over and ask, but the boat was locked up. Would be a coincidence?

Wont mention marina for obvious reasons. :encouragement:

nortada

Visit site

I saw a yacht with your name on in a marina on that coast a couple of weeks ago. Was going to nip over and ask, but the boat was locked up. Would be a coincidence?

Wont mention marina for obvious reasons. :encouragement:

I assume you saw a boat called Nortada❓

My boat is not called Nortada so it weren’t me. As many know, Nortada is the prevailing northerly wind on the Portuguese West (Silver) Coast. Believe it is also known as the Portuguese Trades so not too surprising that boats are named after it.

Clearly I am not bothered if you wish to identify the marina you visited.✔️

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site

Ah well that's solved then. The boat is in the very pleasant Marina at Ayamonte.

:encouragement:

As said before, we have a family house in Ayamonte and think I may have seen that boat.

Agree, Ayamonte is a good marina, very secure and with pleasant, helpful staff. Unlike Villa Real, it is out of the main flow of the Guadiana so much safer. It also has all of the advantages of being right on the Portuguese/Spanish border.

The entrance use to be shallow but it has been dredged so it is surprising there are not more boats in there.

capnsensible

Visit site

Was there for two weeks end April early May and it was its normal quiet. However a couple of weeks ago it was the busiest I've seen the place. Even allowing for the annual migration, it seems to be doing well.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

A few years ago, the Junta marinas stopped the annual and winter discounts so lots left. Port America in Cadiz and Ayamonte (the only ones we occasionally use) were about half full but since the discount has been reinstated, they're filling up again. When we passed Ayamonte this summer, it looked very busy. Have never used Vila Real marina, but do dinghy over sometimes when anchored off.

capnsensible

Visit site

Ive always reckoned Villa Real to have a very difficult Marina. The current can be nasty and a boat bender. Have only been in once on a larger motor boat I was teaching on and they would only let us enter at slack.

However, a couple of weeks ago it looked full.

Visit site

Ive always reckoned Villa Real to have a very difficult Marina. The current can be nasty and a boat bender. Have only been in once on a larger motor boat I was teaching on and they would only let us enter at slack.

However, a couple of weeks ago it looked full.

About 15 years ago I kept La Roca there for several weks in a berth by the wall, only possible because of her centre board and even so we were "aground" at low water. The price was very reasonable and we had fun ( especially on spring tides).

Heckler

Visit site
Re: Marina de Lagos??

Marina de Lagos is fuller than it has been for many a year but not with British flagged vessels.

How is it where you are❓

Same here in Albufeira, although a few are on their way south, perhaps the time of year?

RAI

Visit site

Never understood why Ayamonte isn’t more popular❓
It’s safe that is more than be said for Villa Real when the Guadiana is in spate‼️
Only the annual fee in Ayamonte gets a big discount, otherwise the daily rates for the seasons is a bit expensive.
Vila Real is full, cheaper, but only really accessible at slack water for strangers.