The Truth About Sailing On The Algarve

Visit site
Ria Formosa.
In yesterday's CM there was an article with a photo showing a sea policeman afixing a notice to the mast of a yacht illegally anchored off the harbour of Culatra. They said that the PM are concerned by the increasing numbers of yachts "mainly foreign" anchored in that area. I rang the PM and was told that anchoring between the yellow buoy and the shore is totally prohibited.
I went into the Policia M in Olhão yesterday and was given a copy of a document dated 25 Oct.18 which says in, effect, that any boat not removed within 30 days will be deemed to have been abandonedand to belong to the state.
The lagoon was occupied for years by a number of boats, some liveaboard,but a couple of years ago they were removed and further anchoring prohibited. That plus the the area up to the harbour is what is now being enforced.
I have a photo showing the area which I shall try to post.

Attachments

• Policia M.jpg
    Policia M.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Not surprised the PM are taking action, there have been various moves to tidy the islands up, including demolishing illegal houses, many of which had been there for decades. The pool had become a bit like a travelers encampment and we met a German guy this summer who had been arrested for refusing to remove his boat.

GHA

Visit site
An odd post cropped up in another forum as well about the big 2 masted Proa having been stolen and anchor chain cut - saw the masts last weekend from Olhao, anyone know if it's still there?

nortada

Visit site
Is The Algarve Weather Changing?

In addition to activities on the water, every Wednesday during the winter months (Oct - Mar), we have a walk somewhere in the Western Algarve.

Many of these walks, cross small rivers but for the past few years the water in these rivers has been diminishing to the point that this winter they have been largely dry. The almond blossom was again early as was the appearance of the pine processionary caterpillar.:disgust:

So it would appear that the Algarvian winter is getting shorter.:encouragement:

Possibly, more noticeable to boaties, where as winter used to be blessed with predominately northerlies. Again, for the past few years south-easterlies have become increasingly frequent but although it is blowing hard today, there have been fewer winter gales.

Are we seeing a lasting change or is this just a blip.:confused:

Well Brexit cannot be blamed:rolleyes:

Sorry, just following the current BBC practise of including that dreaded word in every report - how ever irrelevant;)

Last edited:

DownWest

Visit site
Re: Is The Algarve Weather Changing?

Nortada
I lived there from '75 to '05 and the weather patterns varied a lot. The Levant often blew in august and was a legit reason for bad temper and other upsets.
Once in a while we had really bad rain. Washed away bits of villages in the hills and a few cars down Carveiro beach. I notice that has happened recently in Albufeira. Before they channeled the river, usually dry, under the square and the Sol e Mar hotel, floods and drownings in the town were not unusual. The ironmongery down there had tide marks on the walls with dates. Some above head hight.
The camara used to build a single red block wall each year under the Sol e Mar hotel, where the gulley exited, to stop dossers etc from using the opening. The first rains blew that away, as expected.
The whole coast was very different back then, Albufeira was still a fishing village with asperations and a little cinema that the local nobs had reserved seats in. Power cuts were frequent and we all got to come back the next day when the Towering Inferno got interupted so often that it was only half way at midnight...

It was fun back then on a very basic level, I left when it got a lot less fun. Different if you arrive now, as you start from another point.

Oh, and Dr. Calaça, who I used in the early days, had the second car in the town...He wasn't very good, I diagnosed my hepetitis before he did.

In seem to be rambling :eek: so will exit. Dinner to cook.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
2019 Light Dues.

I hear that Light Dues this year have been increased from €11 to €70 per annum❗

I wonder if the dispensation to pay for just 6 month’s (€2 in 2018) still exists❓

nortada

Visit site
Re: 2019 Light Dues.

€70 sounds more like circulation tax than light dues.

Agree, currently in the UK but I got it from 2 different sources in Portugal.

Thing is, light dues are paid at the maritime police station, whereas circulation tax is paid at the fiscal office so a mix-up should be impossible.

No doubt the truth will soon out.

Visit site

No-one will be surprised to learn that there is some confusion about the amount to be paid The €2 is supposed to be for foreign pleasure boats in transit. Those of us here more or less permanently should pay according to the table
Embarcações nacionais de recreio para navegação oceânica – € 56;
Embarcações nacionais de recreio para navegação ao largo – € 28;
Embarcações nacionais de recreio para navegação costeira – € 11, 50;
Embarcações nacionais de recreio para navegação costeira restrita – € 8, 50;
Embarcações nacionais de recreio para navegação em águas abrigadas – € 6;

Graham376

Visit site

As we're moored adjacent to the PM launch, it's difficult to claim we're only in transit so pay €11.50 p.a. The 12 months starts from date of payment. Fortunately, the PM aren't interested in circulation tax which can be avoided by being out of the country for a couple of days at the end of June/early July.

greeny

Visit site

Sounds right.I paid 8.50 for my Portuguese registered rib 3 weeks ago. I think my sailing boat cost 11.50 last time I paid.

nortada

Visit site

No-one will be surprised to learn that there is some confusion about the amount to be paid The €2 is supposed to be for foreign pleasure boats in transit. Those of us here more or less permanently should pay according to the table
Embarcações nacionais de recreio para navegação oceânica – € 56;
Embarcações nacionais de recreio para navegação ao largo – € 28;
Embarcações nacionais de recreio para navegação costeira – € 11, 50;
Embarcações nacionais de recreio para navegação costeira restrita – € 8, 50;
Embarcações nacionais de recreio para navegação em águas abrigadas – € 6;

Thanks for this detail. Rather than just charge €2 for 6 months, it looks as if somebody has read the rules!

Sound like the best move would be to go somewhere (Portimao?) where they have yet to read the rules. That or stress that you want just a 6 months worth of light dues.

greeny

Visit site

It does seem ironic though that they charge light dues of 56e for ocean going and 11.50 for coastal vessels when there are far more lights and buoys near the coast than out in the ocean. I guess they needed to draw demarkation lines based on boat category somewhere but it seems the wrong way round to me. But sometimes "our's is not to reason why", just pay.

nortada

Visit site

It does seem ironic though that they charge light dues of 56e for ocean going and 11.50 for coastal vessels when there are far more lights and buoys near the coast than out in the ocean. I guess they needed to draw demarkation lines based on boat category somewhere but it seems the wrong way round to me. But sometimes "our's is not to reason why", just pay.

Agree.

The following has been reported at Lagos:

Many folks will have heard of the increase in the cost of Light Dues for Portuguese waters.

All foreign flagged recreational vessels will have to pay 70Euros this year for Light Dues.

Portuguese flagged vessels will pay a rate based on their seafaring capabilities, up to and including 70Euros.

Looks as if somebody in Lagos has read the rules. Hope they are not retrospective!

Would have thought this could contravene EU Rules on all EU citizens being treated equally?

As the appears to be some differences in the Algarve, I wonder what is happening on the West Coast.:confused:

At a local level, a trip to Portimao could be the order of the day. :encouragement:

Graham376

Visit site

Agree.

The following has been reported at Lagos:

Many folks will have heard of the increase in the cost of Light Dues for Portuguese waters.

All foreign flagged recreational vessels will have to pay 70Euros this year for Light Dues.

Whilst this could be true, we have had so much wrong information and scare stories originating from Lagos I will wait and see. I'm in UK at the moment so can't visit the Capitania. Do you have a link to official information?

stranded

Visit site

Whilst this could be true, we have had so much wrong information and scare stories originating from Lagos I will wait and see. I'm in UK at the moment so can't visit the Capitania. Do you have a link to official information?

Just tried to pay my €2 light dues in Nazaré and they have said that they think it now 70 but they too seemed surprised and want to check so can I come back tomorrow. Will update then.