The Truth About Sailing On The Algarve

nortada

Visit site
I stand to be corrected but i dont think im altogether WRONG. This tax is certainly intended for Portuguese registered vessels but foreign vessels become liable for it after staying (give or take an exact number) 183 days. After that number of days within a calendar year your British registered boat is liable. It can be avoided if you take it out of the country within the 183 days (forgive me it may be 181 i didnt google the exact number). When the boat returns the clock resets and it also resets again at the end of the calendar year which is why a short stay in Spain right in the middle of the year is appropriate if you wish to avoid the tax. Ive no idea how much the fine is if you dont self declare but its certainly worth being aware of (regardless as to whether or not they currently pursue for the tax it IS due under their law) and as such it might be a mistake to assume its never monitored especially if you own a motorboat. The boat does not need to remain out of Portugal after 183 days. The law simply states that any vessel that stays for that number of days continuously in a calendar year is liable (whether at the beginning or end of the caledar year) so 2 long stays in portugal each less than the 183 (or 181 whatever it is) ensures the tax is not liable. Just a heads up but having kept a boat in Portimao for 12 years or so im pretty certain the information is not exactly wrong.

Sorry if I caused offence but as is well known, the law is pedantic, not pretty much right.

Interesting this all came up in Portimao, because in 2004 a number of Portuguese lawyers in Portimao, who owned power boats, took issue with this tax because although it was a federal law, enacted in 1978, no mechanism was set up to administer it so it was left to regional interpretation. The case went all of the way to Lisbon but as often in Portugal, no final resolution was ever forthcoming. As I knew some of the personalities involved they gave me some of the background.

To be specific, a foreign registered vessel could be in Portuguese Waters for 364 days in a calendar year and provided it left Portuguese Waters on the 182 day and didn’t return for a couple of days it would never become liable for this tax.

As a guide I checked my latest receipt and for a 40HP engine the cost was €65. Originally the boat’s dimensions were also taken into account but in recent years this is no longer the case.

As GHA points out, the real issue is, does anybody know, first hand, of a boat being asked to pay circulation tax❓

My answer is no but if the issue is continuously raised (with the tax authorities) the situation could change and not for the better.

Last edited:

GHA

Visit site
My answer is no but if the issue is continuously raised (with the tax authorities) the situation could change and not for the better.

:encouragement:
So often in cruising it's better to act like a small victorian child when dealing with the authorities - keep quiet and speak only when spoken to. :)

greeny

Visit site
I've been there in Portimao since the marina opened, so going on 18yrs now. As I said earlier, i was asked to pay but they found i was not liable as the boat had left the country and come back in again. The intent was certainly there to enforce the tax but they couldn't. Also my engine was not large enough to qualify. This was several years ago and I don't know anyone else who has been asked since or indeed paid.

nortada

Visit site
I've been there in Portimao since the marina opened, so going on 18yrs now. As I said earlier, i was asked to pay but they found i was not liable as the boat had left the country and come back in again. The intent was certainly there to enforce the tax but they couldn't. Also my engine was not large enough to qualify. This was several years ago and I don't know anyone else who has been asked since or indeed paid.

This could tie in with the 2004 incident when there was an attempt to collect the circulation tax all over Portugal, including the offshore islands. Subsequently it was agree that it could have such a negative impact, it should not be repeated. As I recall, at the time, it made the national Press and TV.

Long time ago.

Visit site
This could tie in with the 2004 incident when there was an attempt to collect the circulation tax all over Portugal, including the offshore islands. Subsequently it was agree that it could have such a negative impact, it should not be repeated. As I recall, at the time, it made the national Press and TV.

Long time ago.

Long time ago indeed and even then that was the only place. Those of us with ssr. vessels in Sotavento were not troubled,as already said let sleeping dogs lie but don't forget fishing licences and light dues.

GHA

Visit site
Long time ago indeed and even then that was the only place. Those of us with ssr. vessels in Sotavento were not troubled,as already said let sleeping dogs lie but don't forget fishing licences and light dues.

How to get a fishing license :cool:, from the port office at Faro marina next to where you get the light dues.

And slight drift about paying for it - I've just got a Revolut bank card which lets you transfer money via IBAN for free, card costs a fiver. Just paid boatyard fees, took a day to go through, exchange rate is tiny bit below visa rate. Don't even need the card to turn up, create virtual card to pay.

PortFishLicense.jpg

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?503562-Alcoutim

Read the police are active. Is the at Culatra, Alcoutim or everwhere?

If a border check, even though there is no formal border between Spain and Portugal, would it be more likely in the Guadiana?

Is this an isolated event (getting the stats up to date) or a more general activity to fit in with the summer hols.

Whatever, a good reminder to get your light dues; at €2 it is hardly likely to break the bank!

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?503562-Alcoutim

Read the police are active. Is the at Culatra, Alcoutim or everwhere?

If a border check, even though there is no formal border between Spain and Portugal, would it be more likely in the Guadiana?

Is this an isolated event (getting the stats up to date) or a more general activity to fit in with the summer hols.

Whatever, a good reminder to get your light dues; at €2 it is hardly likely to break the bank!

Second time for us in 6 months on the moorings off Faro, Ria Formosa. No idea whether current checks are local or widespread. We pay €11.50 for light dues (Taxa Farolagem) 12 months "coastal" use.

nortada

Visit site
Second time for us in 6 months on the moorings off Faro, Ria Formosa. No idea whether current checks are local or widespread. We pay €11.50 for light dues (Taxa Farolagem) 12 months "coastal" use.

Haven’t heard of checks anywhere else.

Interesting you pay €11.50 for 12 months when the going rate (in Lagos) is €2 for 6 months❓

And yes you can have 2 x 6 month licenses to cover the year.

Ps Have you seen my latest on VPN in the Lounge❓

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?503849-VPN-Again❓

I am currently in Walton, any feedback from your end❓

Last edited:

Graham376

Visit site
..........Interesting you pay €11.50 for 12 months when the going rate (in Lagos) is €2 for 6 months❓

Ps Have you seen my latest on VPN in the Lounge❓

I am currently in Walton, any feedback from your end❓

Can't be bothered with 2 x visits to capitania, easier to pay 12 months.

Yes have seen the VPN discussion, we use tvcatchup.com.

Most likely warmer in the UK at the moment, low to mid 20s here with cool 20kt wind. Haven't bothered moving off the mooring yet, busy social scene:)

nortada

Visit site
Can't be bothered with 2 x visits to capitania, easier to pay 12 months.

Yes have seen the VPN discussion, we use tvcatchup.com.

Most likely warmer in the UK at the moment, low to mid 20s here with cool 20kt wind. Haven't bothered moving off the mooring yet, busy social scene:)

Hi Graham,

Thanks the info.

Yes now entering our 7th week with no rain here at Walton - fortunately we have a local water supply so shouldn’t run dry. At least another week of no rain is forecast so I am surprised that the UK, as a whole, isn’t on water rationing.

As I said in the Lounge, am looking at TVCatchup.com for the first time so as a newbie, would appreciate any tips.

I anticipate others are in the same boat.

Like the weather but miss the red wine and the good folk so will be more than ready to return to God’s Country come The Fall.

Bye 4 now.

N

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com
Currently in Chipiona and heading for Ayamonte. Then planning to go anchor near Culatra. We are new to this part of the world - do we need to check in/pay for "permit/light dues or whatever? Or simply go to Culatra and enjoy next weekend's blow? Thank you for advice and info.

Graham376

Visit site
Currently in Chipiona and heading for Ayamonte. Then planning to go anchor near Culatra. We are new to this part of the world - do we need to check in/pay for "permit/light dues or whatever? Or simply go to Culatra and enjoy next weekend's blow? Thank you for advice and info.

Everyone entering Portugal by boat should go to the Capitania do Porto and pay light dues (Taxa Farolagem) but many don't bother until they get pulled by PM and told to do it.

Just drop your hook and enjoy.

P.S. Aren't you heading up the Guadiana before Culatra? If you have bridge clearance would be a shame not to.

GHA

Visit site

Just go and enjoy lovely Culatra :cool:

Very unlikely to have anyone come want to see the light dues, if you're really keen you can get the bit of paper in Faro.

Any south swell and the Faro lagoon entrance can get very feisty on the ebb.

Heckler

Visit site

Go to Ayamonte, we came over the bar last month at 4 hours before HW, we draw 1.6m, go and see Honest John in Ayamar Chandlery and buy what you need, last chance to buy stuff at reasonable prices. Go up the Guadiana and tie up to the pontoon at Alcoutim and chill and explore, dont get stuck there at 10 euros a night! Then go to Culatra. Leave the Guadiana at hi tide or slightly after, the ebb should push you all the way to the entrance to Rio Formosa and you should get there at about low tide for an easy entrance, better to go in with the flood if any south in the wind. Make sure your anchor well dug in at Culatra! We have never done any formalities at Culatra, saving them for Bruces Yard where Joana does them for you. If you want to get your light dues, get the ferry to Olhao and then walk across the road with all your papers and passport to the Capitanairio. Easy 5 minute job if the place isnt full of fishermen. After Culatra go up towards Faro to Buoy 21 and park there, lovely and peaceful and 10 mins in the dink to faro marina under the LOW railway bridge, no you cant get a yacht in there! The Capitainario is there as well by the marina.. We have used both places to pay light dues. Watch the shallow patch by the green on the bend just by the main port on the way to Buoy 21!

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com
Thank you for the very helpful info. We are on a kind of recce trip as well as making our way to overwinter berth in Albuferia. Now at anchor outside marina at Mazagon and head for Ayamonte on Monday all being well. Visit to Ayamar Chandlers is on the must do list. Will do Guadiana up river trip in Spring as meeting folks at Culatra.
We really appreciate all the advice and hope to reciprocate some time. Cheers