The shoreline

Wansworth

Visit site
At low tide there was a small beach within the harbour a stones throw from the Cafe Bar Marina,so anti fouling and fixing the rudder drew a small interested crowd.Waiting for the incoming tide the bar offered cold beer and peanuts.Thats all gone now.The inner harbour is now a marina with no access without a code,there are no sand beaches to fix things at low water for that you pay for a life in a travel hoist.The fishermen are in another dock behind another fence .Once there was time to stop and chat as they prepared their boats for the Tuna season off the Azores cutting the poles to fit .Thats all gone as a tide of concrete has covered the shoreline separating passers by and sailors behind fences.Muxia you could row ashore on to the beach between the net menders to the bar now the marina a desolate place is a good stroll to the village centre.Where the water met the shore was always an interesting place with activity and social life,shipbuilding boat repair and maintenance,fishing and net mending now it all partitioned off on vast esplanades of tarmac…..very neat but lacking that life the shoreline had.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
If you do buy a boat you are going to find things have changed and your dream no longer exists. Perhaps you need to think about it a little more in terms of your expectations and what is likely to be available and indeed how much it's all going to cost once you have the boat.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com

you could row ashore on to the beach between the net menders to the bar now the marina a desolate place is a good stroll to the village centre.Where the water met the shore was always an interesting place with activity and social life,shipbuilding boat repair and maintenance,fishing and net mending now it all partitioned off on vast esplanades of tarmac…..very neat but lacking that life the shoreline had.
Muxia, shoreline also sadly known for a lot less romantic past

Screenshot_20240119-125850_copy_505x230.png

Last edited:

Wansworth

Visit site
The central government splashed out literally asphalt and concrete in such volume to smother the coast of death in roads and parking space and marinas and docks as a political payment for not getting their action regarding the Prestige right,unfortunately in my mind making it all a bit Disneylandish,although te people living there probably appreciate the modern convenience

fisherman

Visit site
Falmouth in the 70s. One old ex fisherman had a two storey boathouse with its own slip, kept his 28ft in it overwinter. He and his sister had tea and saffron buns there after shopping on a saturday morning. Toby West's yard, a treasure house behind his shop. The view from the water was redolent of the towns history. All 'naice waterside flats' now. Up and down the Fal and Helford, hardly anywhere you can access the water for free.

mikefleetwood

Visit site
Falmouth in the 70s. One old ex fisherman had a two storey boathouse with its own slip, kept his 28ft in it overwinter. He and his sister had tea and saffron buns there after shopping on a saturday morning. Toby West's yard, a treasure house behind his shop. The view from the water was redolent of the towns history. All 'naice waterside flats' now. Up and down the Fal and Helford, hardly anywhere you can access the water for free.
Recently, I noticed the "Bosun's Locker" has ceased to be a warren of warehouses by the waterside full of an "Aladdin's Cave" of all sorts of boaty bits that a young man could while away many an hour "just looking". There is now an outdoor cloths shop (carbon copy of many others) with just a couple of shelves of boating bits. When did that happen?

fisherman

Visit site
What is now the Front, pub, I remember as a chandlers. There are more leisure boats now. Maybe the chandlers was for the busier commercial sector. Nautibits gone. Islington Wharf Cornwall boat parts gone. There was a chandlers in the High street as well, up from PoW pier. There was a chandler by the Posharden roundabout, Falmouth Chandlers?

fisherman

Visit site
I think that may be the one that was at Ponsharden. It seems starnge looking at the proliferation of the leisure side. Do we not buy as much stuff now?
Ahbut, we all buy online don't we. I got paint sent from NI, cost the same as the chandlers twenty miles away. Just saved me the trip.

KevO

Visit site
Graham at Falmouth Chandlers is a gem. No clothing there, just everything else 😁. And if he doesn’t have what you need there and then he can get it for the next morning. He will spend 20 mins sorting through box after box to find those exact 6 tiny screws you want and his prices are excellent. No blister packs, just great customer service.

penberth3

Visit site
Recently, I noticed the "Bosun's Locker" has ceased to be a warren of warehouses by the waterside full of an "Aladdin's Cave" of all sorts of boaty bits that a young man could while away many an hour "just looking". There is now an outdoor cloths shop (carbon copy of many others) with just a couple of shelves of boating bits. When did that happen?

At least 5/6 years ago.