the scottish midge

glmuse

Visit site
We are new to this forum, but are fellow trailboaters and friends of the Newports who have used the forum for advice on launching and mooring in Southampton and the Isle of Wight for our holiday in June. Cindy will probably be posting soon for advice on anchorages and moorings in the Western Isles of Scotland for our holiday in August. I am posting now for far more important information which I hope you can help with. How to keep from being savaged by 'Culicoides Impuctatus' aka the Scottish Midge. It is so notorious it has its own webpage!!

Cindy being immune to all insect bites is still keen to go to the Islands for our holidays; I being the McDonalds of the Mosquito World am not so keen!

So, any info on how to avoid the 'wee little beastie' - or even better; old family insect repellent recipes, places to avoid, alternative offers of crewing on transatlantic yacht (the ocean holds far less fear for me than the Highland Midge) would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Geraldine

Geraldine

tcm

Visit site
Re: garlic capsules

I found that these work! You have to scoff a handful of them every day for a week beforehand. if this fails, getting really quite drunk deadens the itching.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Now take note Kim. This newby has just jumped straight in, all bared with problems and difficulties. Unffortuatly our resident scotish reporter is no longer with us. Cant say I've ever found the infamous Scotish midge a problem. Maybe been there at the wrong time. But with most encumberants Human or otherwise. Plenty of Scotch Whiskey usualy scares them off. Another Whiskey and there not noticed anyway!
There are more than enough blends to chose from up there. Take three times a day. A bit like Antibiotics. Well It's the same thing really. Just different street cred!!

Dont forget to order your Burgee. PM me.

Haydn

G

Sorry, mis-read that. Thought it said scottish minge. Don't know anything about midges!

Ohdrat

Visit site
Hi well I find the best way is to plan land based outings when there is a good breeae.. they're not mutch cop in blow ..

Citronella candles on deck (not sposed to use them in confined spaces) work too

If forced into Jing infested bogs/woods etc use Skin So Soft body spray from Avon.. no joke it really works!

the Midges only really come out to play after about June this far north (Ross-shire) as the still can't cope with the night temps until then or their breeding cycle hasn't kicked in yet..

If you are anchored off rather than tied up you almost certainly wont have any midges visit you on board .. at least I've never had that problem.. they really don't seem to be greatly into seafaring at all.. even in harbour tied up along side in the height of the midge season I've never seen them around.

G

As long as you dont drop below 30kts they can't catch you ;-)

athew

Visit site
Geraldine

Midges don't like sunshine. Midges don't like wind over 2 or 3 knots. Midges love damp overcast still weather and live around clumps of heather, grass and trees – although they can seemingly appear from nowhere. Midges love to appear in the gloaming ( just before the sun sets). You can apply midge repellant but they seldom stay still long enough . . . Lots of places are even midge free.

So don't let them spoil some of the best sailing waters up here. You won't encounter them everywhere and could get away with missing them altogether during your hols. But 'be prepared' – my old mum swears at // sorry, swears by lavender water. Jungle Juice is popular ( for keeping the midges away, that is ) and if you are ready for them they're not so bad.

A

glmuse

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your advice (bit disappointed at the lack of alternative offers to crew on a translantic yacht though...), so armed with my garlic pills, Citronella candles, Skin so Soft (Does the Avon Lady still ring the door bell?) and a boat that can probably just about outpace the Midge, we will head for the Western Isles, find a spot close to a distillery and hopefully spend a blissful fortnights holiday midge free.

I still think I will tuck my trousers into my socks though - just in case!!

Cheers

Geraldine

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Well did'nt we do well .
Kim.
Newby.
And all good advice.
Please can we have. A bottle of whiskey. Or a thanks would be just as nice.
.------ Instead of all horrible grumblings.When we have not got all things quite right.
Oh kim. Oh holly one. Please help us from going assunder. And show us the Holly grail. Cos once in my life I did flounder, and say the wrong thing at the time. But please can I be forgiven. Just once in a while.

Geraldine. We have this Troll under the Bridge on here. It's called the Mighty Kim-a-toljah/ Hussain/ Binladin. Pick at will.
But he keeps picking at us and making us all very misserable. Please HELP.
Now you must go to the west coast of scotland. It's a wonderfull place. No Big seas Or winds. Or Kim- otallas to muck up the place. Dont worry, spend a few weeks around here. Then go off without worry. It wont be the Midges you fear!!

Dont forget to order your Burgee. PM me.

Haydn