The right way to do cockpit speakers!

prv

Visit site
PRV - if they are mounted on solid wood then onto the glass - is that the proper and will it increase their output especially base which is almost non existent.

Hey, I'm no expert :)

I tried mine again the other day; the yard was less busy so I felt more free to turn up the obscure Country songs on my phone :). Sound itself seemed ok to me, bearing in mind I'm no audiophile, but I must admit it could have done with going a bit louder. If anyone else is fitting them I'd definitely second the makers' advice (which I only found after fitting mine :( ) to put two on each channel.

Pete

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Hey, I'm no expert :)

I tried mine again the other day; the yard was less busy so I felt more free to turn up the obscure Country songs on my phone :). Sound itself seemed ok to me, bearing in mind I'm no audiophile, but I must admit it could have done with going a bit louder. If anyone else is fitting them I'd definitely second the makers' advice (which I only found after fitting mine :( ) to put two on each channel.

Pete

Thanks Pete - before I lug them out to Greece I think I will try installing them on much heavier wood - under the kitchen table - and see what its like! I am not sure that they are up to reproducing Wagners Ring Cycle though - perhaps to the relief of my wife:ambivalence:

prv

Visit site
For the person commenting about the base, i think that the bigger/heavier the piece of timber you attach to, the better. I know that's certainly true of the speakers you attach to window panes - the bigger the sheet of glass, the better the audio.

Certainly makes sense. They sound very tinny if you just press them against a small offcut, sound ok (except perhaps volume) on my cockpit side.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Certainly makes sense. They sound very tinny if you just press them against a small offcut, sound ok (except perhaps volume) on my cockpit side.

I suspect that my test with fairly thin 8 mm ply was not fair, so the acid test will be when epoxying onto the cockpit sides - 10 mm solid laminate - probably down a foot level to avoid people getting the "Die Valkyrie" up their juxty.

I take it that the epoxy took ok on the clear plastic base? Did you just use epoxy filler type or liquid with some thickener in? I don't wan to make tooo much of a mess as its a center cockpit boat.

prv

Visit site
I take it that the epoxy took ok on the clear plastic base? Did you just use epoxy filler type or liquid with some thickener in? I don't wan to make tooo much of a mess as its a center cockpit boat.

I roughed the base up first with some 60-grit sandpaper, and used my standard mix of epoxy with microfibres. Obviously you want something very rigid, no gluing it on with sikaflex!

Pete

Martin_J

Visit site
I'm interested in how they sound because I have a pair of waterproof speakers that I had not got around to fitting...

These could be a more subtle way forwards..

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Chris.. It sounds from your last question that you proposed to epoxy the plastic part of the speaker direct to the back of the cockpit side..

Didn't the instructions (and other postings) suggest that they are screwed to the block of wood that is then epoxied to the GRP..
http://www.vidsonix.com/vx3/images/transmounting.pdf

Yes I was, and that how PRB did it, but it does make sense to be able to dismount them (if they went wrong) at a later date. I was thinking that the more layers you have the less well the vibrations would be transmitted. They mention MDF or Douglas fir 1 ich thick. But a square of 1 inch thick ply would do - MDF is very dense but dreadful in a marine environment!

I will be fitting them on my visit to Leros in early March - so I will report back on how they sound....

Visit site
Built mine into my Centaurs coamings, have fired them up and they're loud - all four of them set in their bins inside the coaming;

WP_001050.jpg

WP_001052.jpg

Still dont quite understand how those vidsonix work but fair play if they do, fwiw i've gone the fusion route with zoned music, cockpit, saloon and forpeak.

other pics here: https://picasaweb.google.com/110182886418433827802/SpeakToMe?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Chris_Robb

Visit site
When we bought Ariam, she had a pair of smashed-up speakers in the sides of the cockpit. I put the damage down to charter use, and replaced them with new ones.

Despite reasonable care, during the first season the starboard one got broken, the second season the port one. The location is just too susceptible to being leant on, kicked, and elbowed, but there's nowhere else that would be any better, at least not with space behind for mounting. Also, during the occasional boisterous passage when the top of a wave might land in the cockpit, I was acutely aware that apart from a flimsy cone, a flush-mounted speaker is really just a big hole in the fibreglass.

I decided that this winter I was going to glass up the holes (you may remember a thread about how to get a seamless finish on the gelcoat). We don't use the speakers all that much, so if no holes meant no speakers, then so be it. However, I was planning to try out a pair of transducer speakers to see if I could get the best of both worlds.

Well, today I glassed up the big speaker holes (gelcoat tomorrow) and installed two of these on the inside of the cockpit coaming nearby:

ghostply.jpg
ghostlftsm.gif

( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281366153847?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT )

They work really well!

I didn't want to try turning them right up and subjecting everyone in the boatyard to Brad Paisley at maximum volume, but at normal listening level they sounded just as good as the conventional ones to my untrained ear. Neither bass nor top-end are noticeably lacking, and the sound is crisp and clear.

I mounted them using thickened epoxy. The transparent plastic disc unscrews, so I glued this in place on its own and let it set hard. Then screwed the working part back on and soldered the cables. It's important that the plastic disc is mounted absolutely rigidly in order to transfer the vibrations accurately - if it can rattle against the surface you'll get a loud buzz instead of the proper sound, and I imagine if you mounted it using silicone or sikaflex the rubberiness would absorb the high frequencies. Rock-hard epoxy/microfibre mix is ideal.

This is such a better way to do cockpit speakers. No big holes or vulnerable plastic grilles, just sound coming from seemingly nowhere (if you put your fingers over where the transducers are you can feel a slight vibration). The piece on the inside is fairly small, robust, and waterproof - mine are in a coaming void where they're safe from harm anyway, but if you had them in a locker these would survive much better than an open-backed speaker as often seen.

Just thought I'd let people know.

Pete

Pete, I have just fitted mine - (4 fitted in parallel) Epoxied the plastic disks straight onto the cockpit structure at knee height, on to solid laminate - no wood pads used. I am much impressed by the results, as I was worried by earlier mounting on 12mm ply which sounded frankly pathetic. This sound louds, not good enough though for drawing room hifi ($70), playing classical music. The base is weak and the paying of an Organ concerto resulted in vibrations in regions that even Heineken would not have reached! It certainly benefitted from being mounted on a very strong rigid structure.

So I am happy - and ecstatic at not having to cut holes for speakers. Thanks for the heads up. These really do work acceptably.

Martin_J

Visit site
Just fitted the Vidsonix... Epoxied a couple of wooden discs to the underside of the cockpit floor (since that's where the pre-installed speaker cabling terminated) and then screwed the speaker mounts to the wood.

Didn't turn the music fully up but was definitely a nice sound in the cockpit and surprisingly little in the aft cabin.. Good so far!

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Just fitted the Vidsonix... Epoxied a couple of wooden discs to the underside of the cockpit floor (since that's where the pre-installed speaker cabling terminated) and then screwed the speaker mounts to the wood.

Didn't turn the music fully up but was definitely a nice sound in the cockpit and surprisingly little in the aft cabin.. Good so far!

Martin - have used mine for 2 months now cruising the Greek Islands. I was worried about the sound initially - I was playing from an Ipod through a VHF converter to my ancient Pioneer radio. For some reason things like guitars or harps were utterly distorted. I played the same from a CD and perfect. They are pretty good though they lack some base response vibrations but make up for that by the vibrations round the cockpit!

There is one problem, the radio when playing Wagner not even at full blast (trying to drown out the incessant boom of the discos in Bodrum) it blows the trip fuse! I will have to put a more powerful trip in perhaps.

Unlike you, I gets loads of sound inside especially in the quarter berth passage to the aft cabin! Her in doors cant escape!