The NEW tender and outboard MUD DISASTER... Got to love outboards !

NormanS

Visit site
What sort of tender do you have and does the Danforth hold it in soft mud against the current?

John

My dinghy is just an Avon Redcrest, and that little Danforth has held it in anything that it has been asked to. As shown by the tests on Fortress anchors, which apart from being made in light alloy, are very similar in design to Danforths, the holding in mud is exceptionally good. Mine is more often used in sand.

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
My dinghy is just an Avon Redcrest, and that little Danforth has held it in anything that it has been asked to. As shown by the tests on Fortress anchors, which apart from being made in light alloy, are very similar in design to Danforths, the holding in mud is exceptionally good. Mine is more often used in sand.

I'm going to take a peek at both today. Was looking at the water yesterday at sunset, Beautiful perfect little moment with me longing to be floating. until I remembered what happened the last time and that I need to have an anchor and the engine solved.

A channel in YouTube (Just about sailing) suggested I was over prepared, I should have gone with a leaky Avon Seagull combination and that tragedy with never have happened.

JohnGC

Visit site
As I've said above, my small Danforth pulls my 10mtr ketch out against the river current and wind on the genoa sheet winch.

Thanks both.

John

mogmog2

www.spidery.force9.co.uk
I could not gain ground against the tide and wind. the tide was bad enough, but the wind just takes you where it wants and leaves you there.
I'm interested in this as I've spent all winter doing a 1 mile round trip out into Girt Rithe from Emsworth, right near where this happened. We have a venerable Avon Redcrest and a temperamental Mercury 2.2. On occasions I've rowed (most of) the half mile always against the tide due to the mooring, into 20kt of wind with whitecaps (quite laden, with two people - probably helps). Not fun, but doable. However, Greg was unable to make headway. I was wondering if the windage of the larger diameter modern tubes contribute to this? Reason for raising it is not how hairy-chested I am, but that our dinghy will need replacing at some point and that could be a consideration to find a late Redcrest rather than a brand new dinghy. Avon's rowing performance is universally slated, but maybe with newer dinghies the provision of a means of rowing is token really? I'd rather have a wet bum than be constrained by the boat...
Thoughts?
Anyone got any direct experience of going from small old tubes to the larger new ones?

mogmog2

www.spidery.force9.co.uk
A channel in YouTube (Just about sailing) suggested I was over prepared, I should have gone with a leaky Avon Seagull combination and that tragedy with never have happened.
LOL. I have immense respect for my Avon (floating paddling-pool). And a love-hate relationship with my little outboard, which isn't quite as bad as a Seagull.

mogmog2

www.spidery.force9.co.uk
That was also my thinking but the thing is, a 2kg Bruce type is circa £15 while the 1.8kg Fortress FX7 is 10x that. At that price differential it's worth asking if the Bruce types have been used successfully or otherwise by our fellow forumites.

John

I've got a small Bruce and a grapnel. I could do some tests in mud. Would be from a pontoon. Any ideas for making them less subjective using commonly available items? My spring balance only goes up to 5lb which I wouldn't think is enough.

GregOddity

Visit site
I'm interested in this as I've spent all winter doing a 1 mile round trip out into Girt Rithe from Emsworth, right near where this happened. We have a venerable Avon Redcrest and a temperamental Mercury 2.2. On occasions I've rowed (most of) the half mile always against the tide due to the mooring, into 20kt of wind with whitecaps (quite laden, with two people - probably helps). Not fun, but doable. However, Greg was unable to make headway. I was wondering if the windage of the larger diameter modern tubes contribute to this? Reason for raising it is not how hairy-chested I am, but that our dinghy will need replacing at some point and that could be a consideration to find a late Redcrest rather than a brand new dinghy. Avon's rowing performance is universally slated, but maybe with newer dinghies the provision of a means of rowing is token really? I'd rather have a wet bum than be constrained by the boat...
Thoughts?
Anyone got any direct experience of going from small old tubes to the larger new ones?

It's been a while since I rowed in smaller tubes but if I remember right there is a tad less windage. The problem in my case was just being at the wrong moment in the wrong place with everything against me. The wind picked up quite a lot and the tide was at its worse and I did rowing as a sport in my youth. That is why it was such a humbling moment for me. It’s the first time I was not able to stop a boat and take it where I wanted. We were also 2 on the boat so it was way heavy plus a rather large engine for its size. I would not have expected it, well I did not expect it at all that tide and wind could remove control if I had to row.

GregOddity

Visit site
I've got a small Bruce and a grapnel. I could do some tests in mud. Would be from a pontoon. Any ideas for making them less subjective using commonly available items? My spring balance only goes up to 5lb which I wouldn't think is enough.

Well you’re close to me, we can test it together if you want. I know I do NOT want to take a mud bath again, and I'm about to write to the harbour master to complain about the temperature of the mud, it’s inadmissible that they keep it at freezing point.

JohnGC

Visit site

Possible methods that spring to mind.

1. Run the warp over a block and hang weights on it.

2. Hang a weight on the warp to make it sag, then measure how high you can lift the weight by pulling horizontally(ish).

You'll need to control the "scope" to get a reasonable comparison and I don't think you can expect much more than a rough idea doing it this way.

Have fun.

John.

mogmog2

www.spidery.force9.co.uk
I just keep wondering if this had happened close to Chichester harbour how would I ever be able to stop the drift to open water.
Row at 90 degrees to the flow to get out of the current and land anywhere if it's properly serious.
In Chichester harbour that could mean you're really miles by land from your destination. But you'd be safe & dry and you can take stock.

JohnGC

Visit site
Row at 90 degrees to the flow to get out of the current and land anywhere if it's properly serious.
In Chichester harbour that could mean you're really miles by land from your destination. But you'd be safe & dry and you can take stock.

We had this problem with our old dinghy in Canna (without the mud). Rowed ashore, carried the dinghy up-wind and tried again.

John.

GregOddity

Visit site
We had this problem with our old dinghy in Canna (without the mud). Rowed ashore, carried the dinghy up-wind and tried again.

John.

Ok, I really must protest, without the mud is not valid, you MUST have mud, always. I have done that once or twice. The last time if I remember right I had a friend make a 65km 3am trip around a peninsula to go get me from the WRONG side of the river Sado in Setubal, Portugal. Prop hit something in open water, (i'm guessing it was a log) and broke quite a few bits and bobs on the motor, started rowying, good oars fiberglass fishing boat, but the tide was having none of that so we angled and went to the "other side". no ferry at 3am, you have to go all the way around, it's about some 65 km detour..

Last edited:

JohnGC

Visit site
Ok, I really must protest, without the mud is not valid, you MUST have mud, always. I have done that once or twice. The last time if I remember right I had a friend make a 65km 3am trip around a peninsula to go get me from the WRONG side of the river Sado in Setubal. Prop hit a something in open water, (i'm guessing it was a log) and broke quite a few bits and bobs on the motor, started rowying, good oars fiberglass fishing boat, but the tide was having none of that so we angled and went to the "other side". no ferry at 3am, you have to go all the way around, it's about some 65 km detour..

The committee didn't see your protest flag - protest rejected!

Actually I have held the dinghy against a gentle tide in mud by shoving the oar vertically into the mud and bracing it against the tube. But you need to hold it and can't do much else on your own and there is a worry of loosing the blade (clip together oars).

John

GregOddity

Visit site
The committee didn't see your protest flag - protest rejected!

Actually I have held the dinghy against a gentle tide in mud by shoving the oar vertically into the mud and bracing it against the tube. But you need to hold it and can't do much else on your own and there is a worry of loosing the blade (clip together oars).

John

yeah, I've done that a few times with strong wooden oars. You plant it in the bottom and it's a pillar. I tried with the Zodiac ones on the mud, I stopped immediately so I would not lose an oar.

doug748

Visit site
Thoughts?

Rowing a laden Avon into wind and tide, hats off to you.
I don't think it would be possible on the typical newer style of dinghy because the oars often barely reach the water, they are constrained by the fiddly fittings and are fragile into the bargain. Seago used the Avon style rowing fitting for a long time which at least meant you could ship longer oars but I see the new ones have the sad brackets.
With the new styles you are often better off paddling, as long as you have some crew.

Everything I have ever found with boats boils down to intended use, personal preference and compromise.
If you generally sail alone or + 1, want space exploration quality, regularly bring the dinghy aboard and deflate it, and suspect you may be doing some rowing; then it may well be Avon.
If your outboard is reliable and you don't mind always using it, you have crew, won't be giving the thing too hard a time, make longer trips and a dry ride is top priority; then a newer style may suit.

After trying every combination, over time, I have come around again to an Avon Redstart with partial solid floor.
PS
When I had a long commute like you, I used to keep a large, rough tender at the Yacht Club and something smaller always on the boat.

Last edited:

Stemar

Visit site
yeah, I've done that a few times with strong wooden oars. You plant it in the bottom and it's a pillar. I tried with the Zodiac ones on the mud, I stopped immediately so I would not lose an oar.

I've seen people use an oar as a lever against the stern of their dinghy to move across soft mud, but you need a solid dinghy and solid oars. When I got stuck, I tried it, but the plastic dinghy simply folded.

GregOddity

Visit site
I've seen people use an oar as a lever against the stern of their dinghy to move across soft mud, but you need a solid dinghy and solid oars. When I got stuck, I tried it, but the plastic dinghy simply folded.

Thats what I tried, but stopped before it folded or it would simply break it. They simply cannot be used like a wooden oar. Or as an Oar in general. A bit too short, a bit too fiddly, a bit too fragile.