The NEW tender and outboard MUD DISASTER... Got to love outboards !

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
Re: UPDATE !

I have to assume that when you bought the fuel you decantered it into a jerrycan before putting it into your outboard. Any chance that your jerrycan was contaminated?

Nope, we just filled the new tank and then filled the car with the same fuel. The fuel was left in the kitchen so as to remain at a constant temperature and not allow condensation. We forgot to buy a jerrycan...

Bouba

Visit site

Nope, we just filled the new tank and then filled the car with the same fuel. The fuel was left in the kitchen so as to remain at a constant temperature and not allow condensation. We forgot to buy a jerrycan...
So it’s an external fuel tank? Any chance that it is contaminated? Have you repeated the experiment that the mechanic did?

Bouba

Visit site

If the mechanic connected your fuel tank and it failed but his tank was good. Is it possible that the tank has a problem eg the vent blocked or the fuel line or connector faulty ?

GregOddity

Visit site

So it’s an external fuel tank? Any chance that it is contaminated? Have you repeated the experiment that the mechanic did?

I decided not to. I'm going to take the rest of the fuel and take the all thing directly to the main dealer next week. It cant be contamination, the tank was new in the shop, and the engine run fine for a few hours, then it started dying and dying untill it just would not start again. Im gonna let the Mariner Engineers run it for a few hours and see what happens. With me watching.

Bouba

Visit site

Once I took my jerrycan and topped up my boat. Little did I know that the man who was tasked with looking after my fuel and other boaty stuff decided to sell most of my fuel and to top up the can with water. That left me stranded up an African river.

GregOddity

Visit site

If the mechanic connected your fuel tank and it failed but his tank was good. Is it possible that the tank has a problem eg the vent blocked or the fuel line or connector faulty ?

I checked and rechecked, bled the line, pressure was fine fuel was flowing and the cap was well open, something I learned at a young age after some rather lengthy rowing on account of forgetting to open the vent…

GregOddity

Visit site

Once I took my jerrycan and topped up my boat. Little did I know that the man who was tasked with looking after my fuel and other boaty stuff decided to sell most of my fuel and to top up the can with water. That left me stranded up an African river.

Hehe haa Africa is a different planet. I remember someone saying "let's go to the beach" and 6 piled into a renault Diane and drove for a day and a half to get to said beach where we slept at the house of someone that knew a friend of a friend therefore we were family.

Daydream believer

Visit site

"touch wood" I have never made that mistake in all my years of Driving( some 22 years) . And even then Greg still checks....and re checks everything. Its like working with Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory. sometimes :rolleyes:

I was only taking the Wee Wee!!! But apparently it happens all the time & when i had a petrol car & a diesel van I must admit I did pick up the wrong pump on more than one occasion. Fortunately realised in time.
Last year I filled the club tractor with petrol but some idiot had filled the diesel cans with petrol & as I had to lift the cans up high I could not see what i was pouring into the funnels.
Did not go down well with the safety boat crews who had to push the boats out until I had bled all the tanks & fuel system dry & refilled.

Last edited:

MonniotC

Visit site

Hehe haa Africa is a different planet. I remember someone saying "let's go to the beach" and 6 piled into a renault Diane and drove for a day and a half to get to said beach where we slept at the house of someone that knew a friend of a friend therefore we were family.
With 6 people in a Renault Diane, one and a half days driving would be about the same as Croydon to Brighton. Although you'd probably have to get out and push it up Handcross Hill.

GregOddity

Visit site

With 6 people in a Renault Diane, one and a half days driving would be about the same as Croydon to Brighton. Although you'd probably have to get out and push it up Handcross Hill.

Hehe that is a very good comparison, but we went form Mwanza to Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania. Then across to Zanzibar. Hell of a good time when you’re young. Only broke down 4 times, making the trip back last 3 days.