The Forum Burgee.

MrB

Visit site
How about the original design but a little bolder and the stem of the glass spelling "YBW"? Or just keep it as it is as we all know the tipsy mouse is the forum moniker.

l'escargot

Visit site
I've had considerable support off forum from people who want an alternative design but who don't want to offend anyone or start a war so I'm happy that an alternative design is worth investigating. Ultimately the desire for an alternative design is actually the driving force behind making the mouse more available so be careful what you wish for.

As for a cheaper version of the mouse - the general mood was that quality was lacking and needed bringing back up to speed. Not that people wanted to see a cheaper version. We can only do as we are told. It isn't practical to offer lots of variations on something which by Haydn's own admission only sells in limited numbers.

If you don't want an alternative then buy the mouse.

Henry :)
Have you thought about taking it outside of the mobo forum or are you looking for a mobo specific burgee?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
So obviously, every one still wants the mouse, except maybe a bit bigger and with some better string.

Henrys attempt to change everything seems to have failed.

How about letting my guy make the far superior flag and send it off to Henry, for delivery. Henry can put the toggle on in his spare time, giving him a sense of worth and far more involvement in the process.

The original concept of the flag, was that every one put a little effort in, to make life easier for the supplier, An unpaid forum member. OK technology has changed since when I started, so of course things will now be easier. What is the point of changing the whole ethos of the flag to a free MBY advertisement. We all know who we are and the mouse is ours.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
To try and encompass all forums we should have an image of God living aboard a rickety sailboat going down the Thames trying to decide which anchor to put out while getting his varnish spilled by a mobo's wake! You could put this in a cocktail glass on a globe with a dead mouse on it.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
I wonder if I just need to make a cut & paste.

Some people like the mouse design. That's great. We are ensuring it's survival and making it easy to buy on-line. Haydn, I couldn't care less whether it comes with a toggle or not but several people have said they want a toggle so at this stage a toggle it shall have. I had to post a thread the other day to find out how best to deal with toggles on a motor boat so clearly the idea didn't come from me.

I'm not fitting toggles, sewing in people's names or doing any other work. Just processing the order, putting everything into an envelope supplied by myself, sticking on a label affixing the correct postage then putting said package in the post box. Not because I'm lazy but because for this to be sustainable it needs to be easily passed from volunteer to volunteer when required. Set up in a way whereby any one of a number of people can run things without undue demands on their time.

The downside with me getting involved is I'm going to look at producing another flag. One which encompasses the whole ybw forum rather than just the motorboat forum which, as I understand it, is what the mouse burgee represents. Just as when the mouse was born the design process is on-going over a little while to gauge opinion and ensure it meets the needs of those who want it. If you don't want it then ignore all discussion, your mouse will still be produced and made available. You will even be able to buy a window sticker !

I have had a lot of support off forum from people who share my concept of a second flag but who, out of politeness or a desire not to cause a war on here choose not to post. It's not one or the other, it's both.

P4Paul

Visit site
Henry,

I agree with you that there should be the option of a fully encompassing burgee open to everyone to purchase and fly, linking it to the YBW forum seems a perfectly sensible thing to do.

Can you confirm that anyone and everyone would be able to purchase a burgee from you. By Haydn's own admission in post#94, he refused to supply the 'mouse' to some forumites.

prv

Visit site
One which encompasses the whole ybw forum rather than just the motorboat forum which, as I understand it, is what the mouse burgee represents.

Nope :)

The Tipsy Mouse started off in the Mobo forum, but it has long since spread to Scuttlebutt and PBO as well. On the annual Cherbourg meets which are all raggies (though I'm sure mobo folk would be welcome too) the majority of boats fly the Mouse - it's how I find "our lot" among the pontoons when I arrive. Last year one boat had a great big one home-made from one of those blue builders' poly-tarps and some yellow tape - nice idea, though the noise of it in the wind was fierce :)

When I did the initial batch last year I posted in all three forums, and got plenty of response from all three. I think it would be a pity for things to split into Raggie and Mobo versions.

Pete

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Henry,

I agree with you that there should be the option of a fully encompassing burgee open to everyone to purchase and fly, linking it to the YBW forum seems a perfectly sensible thing to do.

Can you confirm that anyone and everyone would be able to purchase a burgee from you. By Haydn's own admission in post#94, he refused to supply the 'mouse' to some forumites.

If your payment goes through and you live in a standard UK post charge area you will get what you order. There is no vetting other than the payment process.

For people outside the UK standard charge areas we will need to sort out costs to get people their stuff. I'm hoping we can handle international orders, this is after all a international forum.

I have taken on board the comments re: the dominance of the YBW and we are looking at a couple of alternatives. Appologies that designs take a while to appear, it isn't me doing the artwork.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

One of the earlier designs was mocked up on a blue background.
For me thats better than the white background but its got to look different from the blue mouse design and this doesn't. How about red or maroon background and changing the www.ybw lettering to white. Then you'd have red, white and blue in the same burgee which is never a bad thing but might annoy our Scottish members!

l'escargot

Visit site
To encompass the whole ybw forum rather than just the mobo section and to see if something more modern, possible more obviously ybw can be created.

But it appears to be the other way round from here - the existing one does encompass the whole forum already, whereas the discussion about your new burgee seems to be firmly ensconced in the Mobo section...

henryf

www.911virgin.com
But it appears to be the other way round from here - the existing one does encompass the whole forum already, whereas the discussion about your new burgee seems to be firmly ensconced in the Mobo section...

To be fair that's because I tend to only visit the motorboat section and it is very active. As a cross section of views (we have quite a few wind powered posters in here) it gives the feedback needed at this stage.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
For me thats better than the white background but its got to look different from the blue mouse design and this doesn't. How about red or maroon background and changing the www.ybw lettering to white. Then you'd have red, white and blue in the same burgee which is never a bad thing but might annoy our Scottish members!

The impression I got was that people didn't want to advertise YBW.com so blatantly. A revised suggestion will follow.

Whitelighter

Visit site
Right then. This is what I was thinking for a general ybw forum pennant / sticker to run alongside the mouse burgee.

ybwflag_zps321fcc17.jpg

What do you think ?

It looks like an advertising flag

And a bad one at that. No hint of a club. Not even the full web address - though I doubt you can read that up a mast or on an arch

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Just to make it clear. The mouse was available to all forum members, regardless of what boat they had.

There were some rumors in the early days, that it was just for the mobo's and it took a while to over come the myth.

There was never any vetting of customers. The only person that did not get one was Happy One who was demanding one urgently and being abusive, but did not send his address or any money. If I remember right, he finally got one at a later date.