The Church of Double Clipping

mikegunn

Visit site
I’ve only experienced one hose/hose tail failure and in that event the joint was double clipped! Fortunately it was an outlet connection from a fresh water tank which dumped its contents into the bilge. I never did manage to ascertain the order in which the respective clips had slackened their grip. Nor do I know how I could have prevented the incident, other than by regularly checking all clips for security, which I doubt many of us do. The obvious solution, to me anyway, is to only use one clip. Then, if the joint ever leaks there can only be one guilty clip. Having said all that, I recently had a clip fail through corrosion after only three years in position. That clip was one of two clamping a PSP seal around a stern tube. If the second clip had failed for a similar reason I could have had a serious problem. I think I might change all the clips on seacock tails to bolt head type clamps, as they would appear to be more substantial than the worm drive items. One, more reliable clamp should then be sufficient.
Mike

Daydream believer

Visit site
A Forumite PM'd me on this subject & quickly put me in my place re some mistaken comments that I had made
He did include a video which I had notced was in the public domain so I think that he can hardly object if I post it here. It will possibly help a couple of doubters on what product to use in the future. clips
;)

Last edited:

davidej

Visit site
Sand the barb down to the same diameter as the rest of the spigot, cut the pipe at 90 degrees, and push it right up to the body of the (?) pump. Don't forget to put the clips on so that they face opposite directions (i.e. you have to use a screwdriver in opposite directions.)
IMHO that is very bad advice. .The barb will do much more to retain the hose than a second jubilee clip would ever do.

Stemar

Visit site
My 2 penny'th is that one good clip is better than two cheapies from B&Q, which have no place anywhere near a boat. Anyway, you do have a wooden bung near the critical (could sink the boat) ones anyway, don't you?

Second tip is to use a socket rather than a screwdriver, especially when undoing one that's been there for a while. Vastly reduces the likelihood t of swearing and risk of blood loss.

Rappey

Visit site
Take a close look at the barb
There is no barb. It's a very weird size machined part that screws into the engine block. The rubber hose i have may also be a little big.
To fix means removing and then a major task bleeding the cooling system. I'm putting on a new circulation pump soon so will fix it then.

Bouba

Visit site
There is no barb. It's a very weird size machined part that screws into the engine block. The rubber hose i have may also be a little big.
To fix means removing and then a major task bleeding the cooling system. I'm putting on a new circulation pump soon so will fix it then.
Is it because there is no water pressure at the joint ?

Rappey

Visit site
Is it because there is no water pressure at the joint ?
The bmc 1500 has a bolt on the back of the head. It is where the van heater exited the engine. From what i remember its a strange thread size. A spiggot was machined to screw in and allow a hose to be attached. Its always seeped a little as available hoses are either to small or big.
Cant beat running a heater as its free heat.

flaming

Visit site
I've long had a policy of not getting involved in hose clip threads. The video Daydream Believer posted is mine, though that is not me you see in it! JCS is my family firm that I've been running for just over a decade now, and we've been making clips since the 60s and under our own brand since the early 80s.
However, I'm also steering the company towards a much more active presence in both the marine market, and also on social media, so it does sort of feel like it might be time to stick my head above the parapet.

There are a lot of misconceptions about hose clips, and hose clamps (and even that there is a difference between a clip and a clamp) that we come across everywhere we sell them. Several are present on this thread.

If there is an appetite for me to talk about hose clips, then I'm very happy to, but equally I have no wish to stick my nose in where it is not wanted.

Bouba

Visit site
I've long had a policy of not getting involved in hose clip threads. The video Daydream Believer posted is mine, though that is not me you see in it! JCS is my family firm that I've been running for just over a decade now, and we've been making clips since the 60s and under our own brand since the early 80s.
However, I'm also steering the company towards a much more active presence in both the marine market, and also on social media, so it does sort of feel like it might be time to stick my head above the parapet.

There are a lot of misconceptions about hose clips, and hose clamps (and even that there is a difference between a clip and a clamp) that we come across everywhere we sell them. Several are present on this thread.

If there is an appetite for me to talk about hose clips, then I'm very happy to, but equally I have no wish to stick my nose in where it is not wanted.
Go for it...

Plum

Visit site

It is always good to see businesses post here when they aim to help, advise and educate rather than directly promote their products.

Tranona

Visit site
Jubilee clips aren't so good around by the worm, so alternating where the worm is goes some way to improving on this. At least that is what I have heard in the past. Certainly get some distortion in the pipe sometimes so might be true. Better clips are available.
Suggest you watch the video in post#43 which shows exactly the opposite of "what you have heard in the past".

There is no support either technically or empirically for "double clipping", nor any evidence that stainless steel clips of the type shown in the video are inadequate for any hose clipping on a boat.

Plum

Visit site
Jubilee clips aren't so good around by the worm, so alternating where the worm is goes some way to improving on this. At least that is what I have heard in the past. Certainly get some distortion in the pipe sometimes so might be true. Better clips are available.
I do not agree as there is no evidence to support your claim or the authority of "what you have heard in the past"

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
My point is that failures of a single clipped hose joint in far more adverse conditions than a seacock just don't happen. If it did the problem would have been addressed decades ago. The reality is that getting a hose off a seacock after removing either one or two clips is always a pig of a job.
And my point was very badly worded.

Motor vehicles normally work on a solid surface where there is no risk of sinking unlike a boat that sits in water. Any failure opens the hull to an unlimited amount of water at a greater pressure than the air in the hull resulting in sinking, if not dealt with quickly.

Should a clip fail on a motor vehicle then the pressure while high is extremely brief and the vehicle occupants well protected from the ejection of any hot liquid.

I think we all agree that the usual cause of jubilee clip failures is they are a cheap and nasty bit of engineering and we should all be looking at better clips.