The Church of Double Clipping

Daydream believer

Visit site
The artistic among us might say it looks pretty;

Some will say it has yin and yang; and

Others will say that if the failure was caused by stress then by having the clips facing in different directions the stressing will be different.
When he first posted this thread I doubt that the Op was in the least bit stressed.
But having read the comments he may be feeling somewhat different now :cry: :(

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Cars don't sink.

Saying that with the depth of some potholes it will happen one day.

EDIT: Is it normal to drive cars about in salt water? Residents of Orkney are excused this question.
My point is that failures of a single clipped hose joint in far more adverse conditions than a seacock just don't happen. If it did the problem would have been addressed decades ago. The reality is that getting a hose off a seacock after removing either one or two clips is always a pig of a job.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
On my boat I reckon 5 out of 7 seacock hoses could be left without clips at all and nothing would happen: the hose is metal or plastic armoured, very stiff with very short working lengths (ex I have 20cm between the engine raw water valve and the strainer, 30cm for the sink, etc), the hoses are impossible to remove without unbolting everything attached to them. Given how they are tight over their barbs when I replace them, I doubt there would even be a small leak if left without clips.

Correction - sorry not armoured, rather metal spiral or plastic fiber netting inside the hose.

Last edited:

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Strictly speaking, double hoses are only required below the water line AND were the line cannot be isolated by a valve. For example, if the valve is to be left open when the boat is not attended (air conditioning is a common example) it should be double clamped. Critical services. If the barb is too short, see if you can fit a better barb.

No, you do NOT want the clamp hanging over the barb or worse, over the end of the hose. I've seen them cut hoses in oil plants. Use narrower clips or one really, really good clip.

Yes, it does help to offset the clips, but it also eases work if you reverse one of them, so that both are accessed from the same side.

The most common cause of leaks is a barb that is damaged or poorly formed (common with castings). Always inspect the barb for leak paths, and clean them up with a file as needed. A smooth barb will not leak.

Rappey

Visit site
The only time I've double clipped is when I'm having problems with one clip not stopping a little seepage.
Two has not stopped it either. Something i will fix soon .Calorifier take off so not critical.
Hose clips can corrode but by then the pipe will have bonded to the spiggot.

MikeBz

Visit site
I should have said that it’s a raw water strainer, so will be at < 1 bar when the engine is running. My question really is whether it’s a bad idea for a hose clip to overlap the barb on the end of the hose tail (I would think it is). Having just pushed the hose on for a trial fit (lubed with soap) it was ****** hard to remove again even though it had never had a hose clip on it. The hose tail on the raw water pump inlet will only take a single clip.

Oh, and I’m not stressed about it. Thanks for all your inputs, I thought it might generate quite a lot!

Bouba

Visit site
Of all the jobs on a boat that are doable by a non professional, jubilee clips are probably the easiest....and as someone has already pointed out, if a job is worth doing...it’s worth doing twice

capnsensible

Visit site
Of all the jobs on a boat that are doable by a non professional, jubilee clips are probably the easiest....and as someone has already pointed out, if a job is worth doing...it’s worth doing twice
I got no problem double clipping hoses on hull valves. There's a certain nice feeling when you are bashing around in high sea states. Even if you don't do that often. It's not like decent quality ones are expensive. Something that does seem to make people dig up excuses over safety. Still, up to them. :)

Having changed quite a few hoses over the years, I bless the inventor of the hot air gun. What a bloke.

Bouba

Visit site
I got no problem double clipping hoses on hull valves. There's a certain nice feeling when you are bashing around in high sea states. Even if you don't do that often. It's not like decent quality ones are expensive. Something that does seem to make people dig up excuses over safety. Still, up to them. :)

Having changed quite a few hoses over the years, I bless the inventor of the hot air gun. What a bloke.
😅😂I thought you were going to say bless the guy who invented the jubilee clip ...because he was Royal Navy

thinwater

😅😂I thought you were going to say bless the guy who invented the jubilee clip ...because he was Royal Navy
Wiki. The first patent for a worm-drive hose clamp was granted to Swedish inventor Knut Edwin Bergström [se] in 1896 [1] Bergström founded “Allmänna Brandredskapsaffären E. Bergström & Co.” in 1896 (ABA) to manufacture these worm gear clamps.

thinwater

The only time I've double clipped is when I'm having problems with one clip not stopping a little seepage.
Two has not stopped it either. Something i will fix soon .Calorifier take off so not critical.
Hose clips can corrode but by then the pipe will have bonded to the spiggot.
Take a close look at the barb. It is either misshapen or damaged. Smooth it up.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Another point is always use quality hose clips - some may say they are stainless steel but have ordinary steel screw - and they WILL rust and possibly fail. I always use JCS HiGrip stainless clips or other well known brands. The narrow thin ones with slots in the band I have found are not good. Cheap Chinese ones are also rubbish - IMHO... I have just fitted new hoses to my Lavac toilet, pump & new Trudesign 38mm seacock. Impossible to get 2 clips on the water inlet pipe to the toilet.

penberth3

Visit site
The artistic among us might say it looks pretty;

Some will say it has yin and yang; and

Others will say that if the failure was caused by stress then by having the clips facing in different directions the stressing will be different.

The truth: The bit of hose under the worm drive isn't clamped as well as the rest of of the circumference. Two clips with the worm drive 180deg apart extends the leakage path. But that's all theoretical bollocks, one clip is fine.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Who on earth uses a screwdriver on hose clamps except when it’s easy?

Either one of these: Laser Tools 2162 Hose Clip Driver - 6 & 7mm Heads

or a quarter drive 7mm socket on a ratchet.

And I’ve found jubilee clips rotted and falling off on old boats so I’ve no problem with double clipping below the waterline. They also fit more neatly when one is turned round. The barrel around the screw doesn’t clash with the adjacent clip forcing the clips apart. You can leave a tiny gap that’s even around the circumference to allow the hose to bulge a fraction under compression. You can still have the screws/hex end facing towards you.

Bouba

Visit site
Who on earth uses a screwdriver on hose clamps except when it’s easy?

Either one of these: Laser Tools 2162 Hose Clip Driver - 6 & 7mm Heads

or a quarter drive 7mm socket on a ratchet.

And I’ve found jubilee clips rotted and falling off on old boats so I’ve no problem with double clipping below the waterline. They also fit more neatly when one is turned round. The barrel around the screw doesn’t clash with the adjacent clip forcing the clips apart. You can leave a tiny gap that’s even around the circumference to allow the hose to bulge a fraction under compression. You can still have the screws/hex end facing towards you.
I am disappointed to see it’s just a flexible screwdriver.....I was hoping it was a real laser😀