The Church of Double Clipping

MikeBz

Visit site
I see no reason not to double-clip where the horsetail is long enough to comfortably do so, but in the pic below it isn’t possible without the second clip overlapping the barb on the end of the tail (both tails are the same length). My feeling is that it’s better not to double clip in this scenario - any argunents? I’ve been unable to source narrower clips.

IMG_2024-03-07-124003.png

Plum

Visit site
I see no reason not to double-clip where the horsetail is long enough to comfortably do so, but in the pic below it isn’t possible without the second clip overlapping the barb on the end of the tail (both tails are the same length). My feeling is that it’s better not to double clip in this scenario - any argunents? I’ve been unable to source narrower clips.

View attachment 173540
I have seen no evidence that double clipping is more reliable than good single clipping. In your case I would use one good quality clip.

Binnacle

Visit site
Sand the barb down to the same diameter as the rest of the spigot, cut the pipe at 90 degrees, and push it right up to the body of the (?) pump. Don't forget to put the clips on so that they face opposite directions (i.e. you have to use a screwdriver in opposite directions.)

Reactions: vas

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Double clipping is one mitigation of a hazard. There are other mitigations @Plum states one, the use of good quality clips.

Speak to your insurance company and get their opinion in writing about what you are proposing. Should you move away from 'best practice' they may not pay out on any claim you may have.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
There are millions (billions?) of cars on earth, not one of which has double hose clips. Despite the fact that they carry almost boiling water at up to 12 psi, maybe more, I never heard of a hose in good condition that blew off. Few boat hoses are subjected to more than a few inches of water head except the engine ones, which are universally single clipped!

Bouba

Visit site
There are millions (billions?) of cars on earth, not one of which has double hose clips. Despite the fact that they carry almost boiling water at up to 12 psi, maybe more, I never heard of a hose in good condition that blew off. Few boat hoses are subjected to more than a few inches of water head except the engine ones, which are universally single clipped!
A leak on a car can kill the engine….it can sink a boat

Plum

Visit site

View attachment 173540
You cannot rely on "common practice" being "best practice" without supporting evidence. For many many decades it was common practice to put spring washers under every bolt head or nut until it was proved that was not best practice.

Bouba

Visit site
You cannot rely on "common practice" being "best practice" without supporting evidence. For many many decades it was common practice to put spring washers under every bolt head or nut until it was proved that was not best practice.
Is that true?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Because if it's done that way.., then no matter where the fixture, there will always be at least one clip that is impossible to remove without coming away bleeding and cursing.., which is, after all, why we own boats.

That's a bit close to the bone. It has taken me numerous trips to the boat just for the one simple job - many hours and miles, several mirrors and an endoscope, some bleeding and a lot of cursing - dealing with a Jubilee clip on the lower side of the engine that appears to have been fitted by an idiot before the engine was installed and with its screw/hexagon head inaccessible to view, or screwdriver, or spanners, or flexible driver or even fingers. Finally cracked it on last visit after removing alternator, starter and various other gubbins. :mad:

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Cars don't sink.

Saying that with the depth of some potholes it will happen one day.

EDIT: Is it normal to drive cars about in salt water? Residents of Orkney are excused this question.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site

View attachment 173540
You do not say what the container & pipe actually is. If it is an exhaust pipe, one can purchase a proper exhause pipe fitting ( Not a "U" bolt type but one with a proper complete circle & tension bolt) This gives a much stronger clamping force than a jubilee clip. Even the best jubilee clips will strip their thread if taken to the limit. Then add vibration & temperature variation & hey presto- A slipping clip.

There are situations on a boat, where even if the complete fitting came free, pipe & all, the vessel would still not sink. But that is not always the case. One needs to use some common sense when considering what action to take.

I am fortunate that I have a hydraulic supplier near me in South Woodham Ferrers, Essex, & they can supply such fittings (& pipes)of the exact diameter rather than the "nearest" size etc.

KevinV

Visit site
I double clip where it's possible, but in the OP's example I would have more faith in a single correctly positioned clip (and a spare in the toolbox) than in two sub-optimally placed ones - I'd also liberally grease the screwy bit, I've seen more clips fail from crevice corrosion within the mechanism than from anything else.