The 2000 kg holding myth

NormanS

Visit site
Of course, but if "snatch loads" occur, for whatever reason, I would have thought that being prepared to mitigate "snatch loads" would be a good idea. I see anchoring location, riding sails, heavier chain, dual anchors, bridles et cetera as just tools to be used when required.

You seam to be a person who applies your own thoughts and ideas based on your own experience. Yet when Neaves offers his advise, based on his own experience, you are fairly dismissive of it.

I assume that most folks who read anchoring threads on this forum can make their own minds up and take what they want from the anchoring advise offered.
No, I don't dismiss Neeves's advice. What I do repeatedly do is to point out that his methods are not the only methods. His boat was a comparatively light catamaran, and I'm sure that his preferred methods worked well for him, and for his type of boat.
Boats are different, and what works for one, may not be the best or be needed, for others. I do not tell other people what they should or shouldn't do.

Bouba

Visit site
In the lifting industry all the components are defined by strength, G80, G100 and G120. Components are also defined by size, metric chains are 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm - maybe larger. All 8mm components are made to the same size specification and it is impossible to use 6mm or 10mm components with 8mm components - they simply will not fit. All components are embossed with their size (6mm), strength 100 (aka 10) and are sometimes colour coded. You can tell at a glance if a 6mm G80 unit is part of an assembly of G120 units. This is unlike our components where anchor shanks are different thicknesses and different sized chain can fit the same shackles.

If you down size your chain, as we did, from G30 8mm to a galvanised G80 you still are subject to the same, or similar, rode tensions (so you use the same anchor and need the same shackle (because a smaller shackle would be insufficiently strong). That same shackle is now too big for 6mm chain. Historically you might have had a large chain link added to your rode - but this introduced other issues - and the answer is to use an Omega link.

This is a 15kg steel anchor shackle hole with a G80 3/8th" shackle (fits neatly, bow through the hole) joined to high tensile 6mm chain, the 6mm chain is stronger than the 8mm it replaces. The device to join the 6mm chain to the shackle is a 6mm omega link.

The clevis pin of the omega would accept a bigger chain link, say 8mm, but the jaw of the link is too small to accept the bigger link. The clevis is a tight fit, they tend to need to be hammered in, and they are secured with hammer in pins (you can see the 2 hammer in pin ends). The use of the Omega is 'single use' as they are difficult to disassemble.

View attachment 183550
This our chain after much use (Ive replaced the hammer in pins with cotter pins, I swap and change frequently as I test items and ideas.
View attachment 183553

Omega links come in different forms and some are called pear links, that one top row, second from left. Alternatives to Omega links are hammerlocks, the pale blue, large bright yellow and the green device. The top row, apart from the shackle, are all 6mm devices, pins are the same diameter, the jaw of the slot is less than 8mm. Omegas tend to be neat(er), and hammerlocks smoother - than shackles (that's a 3/8th" shackle). The darker blue Omega is 6mm, but it is an old design the version on the left is much neater.

View attachment 183552

Here I have played about with my Boomerang to accept Omegas, or Hammerlocks. The original Boomerang design was designed round 3/8th" shackles but it was a bit clumsy needing a shackle at each end of the boomerang and one on the anchor - all ready to catch on a bow roller. I even designed a Boomerang to attach directly to the chain - but it was a devil to assemble - so its in the pending bucket, awaiting more inspiration. These Boomerangs are made with Duplex stainless, a G60 steel except the top one is a G80, Bisplate 80 (the same strength as many anchor shanks).
View attachment 183554

Other differences

The strongest shackles are G80, the strongest chains in current use are G120.

Bow, "anchor' shackles are commonly sold galvanised, most lifting kit is painted or power coated - its part of marketing - I strip the coating off (paint stripper) and I have mine galvanised. But they last quite well, are not particularly expensive and you can chop them off and replace with a new unit.

The lifting industry is quite innovative - if you look at their lifting hooks, which we might use to secure a snubber to the chain rode, their designs make ours look like something out of The Ark.

If this is all too brief, I'm conscious NormanS has a short attention span :) , I can elaborate.

Jonathan
Thank you Jonathan, that is an impressive answer 👍👍👍👍👍

zoidberg

Visit site
I assume that most folks who read anchoring threads on this forum can make their own minds up and take what they want from the anchoring advise offered.
52713448149_fd1a3b4369_z.jpg

:)