Teak lookalike...help with colour choice please!

xyachtdave

Visit site
In the interests of not doing the cockpit of my boat twice, your opinions are sought...!

Talk me out of it, or encourage me, I can take the abuse...what does the forum think of grey instead of one of the bleached/natural teak colours?

Our boat has side decks factory finished in gel coat in light grey with knackered real teak in the cockpit and coamings. In an ideal world real teak wouldn't be a bad environmental choice and it wouldn't cost £15k, so Flexiteak it is.

Color Options | Flexiteek

I'm planning on removing the old screwed and glued teak myself and prepping the area, any tips, advice etc appreciated.

It looks like a real PITA from start to finish but needs to be done.

xyachtdave

Visit site
Maybe Grey or Weathered?

As for the prep work, buy quality kneepads. I'm still suffering from the work I did on the teak deck on my last boat!

Weathered looks good, but worried it'll look like it does now...knackered teak!

xyachtdave

Visit site
Maybe. I replaced cockpit teak with "Dek-king" 6 years ago. It looked like real teak at first but over the years it has become a dark brown colour rather than weathered grey.

That's disappointing, do you think the UV in Corfu has caused this?

jonic

www.jryachts.com
One of our clients re-decked his Oyster 56 in composite through elite-teak (the cost of new teak was extortionate and potentially environmentally unfriendly) and he chose a grey weathered look to match his toerail and cockpit. I have to say it looks brilliant and suits the boat far better than a "fresh teak" colour.

Oyster 56 For Sale 4 copy.jpg Oyster 56 For Sale 6.jpg

More pics here

pvb

Visit site
After selling my much-loved Hallberg-Rassy because the teak deck was getting towards the end of its life, and because I couldn't really rationalise spending £25K on a new teak deck, I decided that I wouldn't have another teak deck. So I specified my new-build Bavaria with fake teak everywhere - actually a more expensive option than having real teak everywhere! It's great, zero-maintenance, easy to live with. Bavaria didn't offer a choice of fake teak colours and I think I'd really prefer a slightly more weathered look.

duradeck.jpg

matt1

Visit site
I’ve got “scrubbed” with black caulking and many people think it’s real teak. I like it.

I wonder though if it’s better to make it look obviously fake for example by having grey cualking so it isn’t pretending to be something it isn’t?

xyachtdave

Visit site
I’ve got “scrubbed” with black caulking and many people think it’s real teak. I like it.

I wonder though if it’s better to make it look obviously fake for example by having grey cualking so it isn’t pretending to be something it isn’t?

That was my logic with grey. Utilitarian and practical.

And nobody will sprint over to your boat when you’re jet washing the ‘teak’ shouting ‘Stop, you’ll blow the pith out the wood and wreck your teak!

ashtead

Visit site
If you are able to get down to Hamble point you often see examples of Flexiteak being fitted post delivery. Ours was factory laid - just be aware if you have any teak handrails ,G&T seats ,tables you have to keep them seemcoed to match the Flexiteak decks we are have black caulking and a bleached colour but have a traditional design

xyachtdave

Visit site
If you are able to get down to Hamble point you often see examples of Flexiteak being fitted post delivery. Ours was factory laid - just be aware if you have any teak handrails ,G&T seats ,tables you have to keep them seemcoed to match the Flexiteak decks we are have black caulking and a bleached colour but have a traditional design

That's a good idea, the 100 mm long samples I have aren't making it easy.

Not sure about the lock down rules on this trip to Hamble though...!

jiris

Visit site
I think the color is more a personal choice best left to you. What I can help you with is, to warn you against using the "grooved" pattern. The basic material is excellent and takes a lot of abuse - mechanical chemical and UV as well. Unfortunately, it is not true for the grooves. That is where the thing will start falling apart, especially in a sunny climate. It looks like a low UV resistance is the main problem. That on top of the task of keeping the grooves clean, that is. The smooth surface material may not look as flashy, but if you go for the "best looks", you will regret your choice after a very short time.