Teak lookalike...help with colour choice please!

Resolution

Visit site
After selling my much-loved Hallberg-Rassy because the teak deck was getting towards the end of its life, and because I couldn't really rationalise spending £25K on a new teak deck, I decided that I wouldn't have another teak deck. So I specified my new-build Bavaria with fake teak everywhere - actually a more expensive option than having real teak everywhere! It's great, zero-maintenance, easy to live with. Bavaria didn't offer a choice of fake teak colours and I think I'd really prefer a slightly more weathered look.

View attachment 103263
That looks very much like the colour of my flexiteak, fitted some seven years ago. I would have preferred on shade more weathered or silvered, to go with the other bits of real teak on the boat.
One word of caution : after several years in the Med, some of the edges are coming slightly unstuck. It is actually on our work list for tomorrow to get out with the Araldite. Also one of the joins on the foredeck has parted and needs re-caulking. Bet we get in a real mess!

pvb

Visit site
That looks very much like the colour of my flexiteak, fitted some seven years ago. I would have preferred on shade more weathered or silvered, to go with the other bits of real teak on the boat.
One word of caution : after several years in the Med, some of the edges are coming slightly unstuck. It is actually on our work list for tomorrow to get out with the Araldite. Also one of the joins on the foredeck has parted and needs re-caulking. Bet we get in a real mess!

My fake teak is actually made from a handful of solid panels of composite plastic. The "groove" lines are cut into the sheet by a CNC milling machine, then the grooves are caulked in the conventional way. The panels are stuck to the deck with Sikaflex, with vacuum bagging, and I don't anticipate them coming loose. The panels are made by a German company called Wolz Nautic. If you're interested, this download brochure shows how they make the panels - http://www.wolznautic.de/ePaper/pdf/Kunststofftechnologie.pdf