Tally Ho

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
He may be a boatbuilder, but his main job now is video maker. I'd say he's pretty good at it, and that's why people are prepared to pay to watch them.
And what and will supply the basis of his videos. Will he be a sailor or a video maker or a charter skipper, where's his next crust and handout coming from.

Wansworth

Visit site
And what and will supply the basis of his videos. Will he be a sailor or a video maker or a charter skipper, where's his next crust and handout coming from.
The launching of Yaba has brought an end to the construction videos and the couple are scrabbling about for content probably in much the same way as Tally Ho will go once the work is completed……including the mounting of the mighty capstan!

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Him and his father have set up a Tallyho Ltd company in the UK. His father has a very old trading company. I think the boat could be used for all sorts of things, period prop in films, a simple expedition platform, adventure sailing and of course skippered charter. The business acumen appears to be well established and modern classics do appear to be quite popular sailing boats.

benjenbav

Visit site
Time was when folk made content and invited others to spend money to watch same. Nowadays we get to watch for free with the sometimes spoken, sometimes not, invitation to pay something if we enjoyed it and want to see more.

Plus advertising revenue from YouTube who can charge advertisers on the basis of placing their ads on a channel that has 0.5million subscribers.

I’d be quietly confident that for some time going forwards there will be plenty of views for Leo’s content, whether he is shipbuilding or sailing or combining both. So, at least the advertising income will continue even if there is a falling off of donations once it looks as though the boat is completed

How long that will last is a good question. I’d guess that a year or so after Tally Ho leaves Port Townsend the audience will be reduced to those who are interested in watching a pleasant chap in his 30s sailing a wooden boat to places that are perhaps more interesting to visit oneself than to watch others visiting.

Last edited:

steveeasy

Visit site
Yeh but don’t she look cool ah!. That’s some clever hard work and for that reason he deserves full credit. I don’t think he’ll build another boat. His work is done and I recon he’ll spend the next few years making money from all sorts of stuff relation to the build including The book I’m sure he’ll write.

Steveeasy

benjenbav

Visit site
Yeh but don’t she look cool ah!. That’s some clever hard work and for that reason he deserves full credit. I don’t think he’ll build another boat. His work is done and I recon he’ll spend the next few years making money from all sorts of stuff relation to the build including The book I’m sure he’ll write.

Steveeasy
Interesting question about the book. Having documented 7 years in 200 videos, is there much left to say that an audience would want to read?

Do we even want a book of the film when we’ve already got the movie?

No, you’re right. There’ll be a book.

Imagine I’ll buy it. 😁

Marsali_1

Visit site
You mean all those that have opened their wallets to finance his dream and future lifestyle are $3-5m in
I don't get the impression that anyone was forced to contribute and I feel it safe to think that, from your somewhat ungracious tone, you haven't contributed so why criticize something which is not applicable to you? I think that there is great future historical value in the information that has been documented in all of Leo's videos. That said, those voluntary contributors have each played a role in preserving specialized knowledge when it comes to wooden vessels and their construction (re-construction) in a form that is much more widely accessible than a book in a library. I think that is worthy of praise not complaint.

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
I don't get the impression that anyone was forced to contribute and I feel it safe to think that, from your somewhat ungracious tone, you haven't contributed so why criticize something which is not applicable to you? I think that there is great future historical value in the information that has been documented in all of Leo's videos. That said, those voluntary contributors have each played a role in preserving specialized knowledge when it comes to wooden vessels and their construction (re-construction) in a form that is much more widely accessible than a book in a library. I think that is worthy of praise not complaint.
Well said.

steveeasy

Visit site
Interesting question about the book. Having documented 7 years in 200 videos, is there much left to say that an audience would want to read?

Do we even want a book of the film when we’ve already got the movie?

No, you’re right. There’ll be a book.

Imagine I’ll buy it. 😁
Id imagine it could do quite well. You want a read, and I don’t read, but I’d read about Leo and what really was truly going on in his head when he bought a pile of firewood.
Steveeasy