T-Bone on the Twizzle

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
We anchored happily on the Twizzle, just inside Stone Point on Saturday night. We didn't have steak for dinner. On Sunday, about 1100, while I was head down trying to sort out the autopilot installation, there was a huge crash, and CdG spun through 90 degrees and heeled to about 15 degrees. Wails from the young crew below, and a WTF from me in the doghouse.

Some chap (to remain nameless) who was a bit distracted and solo, managed to plough into us at about 4-5kts in a Feeling 39. Rather mashed up his short SS bowsprit, anchor fittings and the toggles on his furler. Snared from getting away by my anchor chain, he remained alongside, rather in a state of shock, while we got his sails in, and exchanged details.

Damaged to CdG, was a small splintered area about 3x3" and a 1/4" deep. Filled that afternoon, and now waiting some paint (along with the rest of the topsides). And the teapot and dinner leftovers distributed themselves across the galley. All agreed even with the passing of a bottle of Malt. :)

Lessons learned? Don't mess with 20 tons of teak and iron and CdG is much more robust than I thought!

johnalison

Visit site
There seems to be a local magnetic anomaly affecting wooden boats since the last damage I heard of there was to Tidewitch under its previous owner, by an AWB trying to sail in or out. Tidewitch was unoccupied but the incident had been seen.

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
Wooden boats are strong things!

Yup, I know of one owner that T-boned another yacht (not yours). I bet he made a dash down the companionway (which is what the chap I know did); I cant see any other way of hitting broadside otherwise.