Your longest rope on the boat

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
How do you size / what loadings do you get on your shore lines for adventurous expeditiony places like Patagonia? I would have thought 10mm too small for much more than a wayfarer, but clearly not!
10mm has plenty to strength. Plenty of stretch too, which may well be a good thing. We have to put rubber shock absorbers in our mooring lines, I bet that's not needed in 100m or more of 10mm.

Neeves

Visit site
So let’s play this game as a percentage of waterline lentgh. I have 5 times mine of chain and warp.
Its not as simple as length you need to factor in how much you draw - as some of us can dry out and still not spill the coffee on the saloon table. Not quite dried out - just need a bit more patience.
IMG_0026.jpeg

Jonathan

dunedin

Visit site
Late to this thread, sorry.

Except for the bell rope, there are no ropes on my boat - they all have a specific name eg sheet, warp, line, halyard.... and so on. My guess is the bell rope is no more than 6 inches.
Spare rope is precisely that - rope. It only becomes a sheet, halyard, etc when assigned to a specific purpose - to be pedantic about your pedantry 😀

GHA

Visit site
SERIOUS THREAD DRIFT WARNING!
Left to right, Turnstile antenna to receive NOAA weather sats on 137MHz, 'Moonraker' brand HF whip, VHF ant for AIS, boothook.
The WXtoImg software is brilliant or at least it was until the writer of the program stopped supporting it and the site that supplied the Keplers changed its address. I must have another shot at getting it running again. Was a time when it was one of my primary wx sources.
think it's back > Home Page - WXtoImg Restored

Edit, bit more involved, you ned to download the keplers yourself it seems, and mark NOAA 17 as not active.
WxtoImg Fix - USRadioguy.com

Or just run this in powershell >
Invoke-WebRequest http://celestrak.org/NORAD/elements/weather.txt -OutFile C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\AppData\Roaming\WXtoImg\weather.txt

1720339935370.png

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
?

A 10m yacht carrying a mixed rode with a maximum of 25m of cordage leaving opportunity to anchor in 5m depth at 5:1 - hope the tides are not too severe.

And 2:1 halyards - impossible.

Jonathan
Even by our standards, that would be a very short one. And 2:1 halyards, not sure what you mean there.

Neeves

Visit site
Even by our standards, that would be a very short one. And 2:1 halyards, not sure what you mean there.

I'm not sure what your problem is. A 10m monohull yacht would have a mast of about 12m so a 2:1 halyard would need to be 25m (so 2.5:1) just to cover the mast - but if everyone has mast based winches.....fine

Earlier in the thread Daydream mentioned 2:1 halyards and you then seemed to understand the concept. Are you standing as President somewhere? :)

Just needs a little bit of lateral thinking. :)

quote:

Did you not say that your halyard was 2:1 ? That would mean you have a very short mast if you hoist from the cockpit.
Mine is 1:1 & is 8mm dynema & is 35M both on jib & main. The main being a little short.
You’re right, its another 13 metres longer.

unquote

Jonathan

Last edited:

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
To quote my old Sea Scout Leader, an old sea dog who became a Coastguard when we had full time coastguards living in CG Stations, there is only one rope in a boat the bell rope.

I don't have a bell onboard so no ropes.

The Q

Visit site
?

A 10m yacht carrying a mixed rode with a maximum of 25m of cordage leaving opportunity to anchor in 5m depth at 5:1 - hope the tides are not too severe.

And 2:1 halyards - impossible.

Jonathan
I don't anchor, I tie up to the club or alongside my motorboat.
Tidal range for an individual tide about a foot, but extreme high to extreme low about 3 ft.
Water depth, in the middle of the channel about 10ft, at the edges just over 3ft..

B27

Visit site
I don't anchor, I tie up to the club or alongside my motorboat.
Tidal range for an individual tide about a foot, but extreme high to extreme low about 3 ft.
Water depth, in the middle of the channel about 10ft, at the edges just over 3ft..
What anchor and scope should a land yacht use?

zoidberg

Visit site
What anchor and scope should a land yacht use?
You've just reminded me....

In 1980 ( jeez - that long ago...!) I came Second in the First Great Trans-Dhofar Land Yacht Race. The prize was a weekend for two in the Salalah Hilton. Oman was then seriously misogynist and it was an 'unaccompanied posting', so I traded the coupon for a solitary cold beer.

Each of the 18 entrants had a 'supplied' support helicopter - a Bell UH-1 Iroquois 'Huey' c/w water, med team and 4 SSF 'security' types - and the Thumrait Hunter jocks with their tame Photo-Interpreters spent 5 weeks running recce sorties across 100 miles or so of proto-desert between the Escarpment and the Rub'Al Khali to generate some route mapping, for there wasn't any. Dhofar was then not at all a gentle and peaceful neighbourhood. Every adult male carried a loaded weapon, for that was the culture. There was good reason...

:cool:

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Are Neeves & Chiara thinking of getting married? They are starting off on the right foot, that is for sure. Can we all come to the wedding- it will be a gay affair?
:cautious:
I’m not quite sure what his issue is, and I still don’t understand his original bit about 2:1 halyards or his response to me or why he seems angry. I simply asked what he meant as it was not clear to me.

Frank Holden

Visit site
think it's back > Home Page - WXtoImg Restored

Edit, bit more involved, you ned to download the keplers yourself it seems, and mark NOAA 17 as not active.
WxtoImg Fix - USRadioguy.com

Or just run this in powershell >
Invoke-WebRequest http://celestrak.org/NORAD/elements/weather.txt -OutFile C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\AppData\Roaming\WXtoImg\weather.txt

View attachment 179574
Yep, knew about that but I have been struggling with it. Have spent the last 24 hours installing powershell on my old Macbook but it rejects that Invoke-Web request, sigh.