Your longest rope on the boat

bergie

lille-oe.de
100m roll of 5mm dyneema with neon yellow coating, intended to be used for a shore line in a tight anchorage. But could also be used for jury rig or other MacGyver shenanigans. Takes very little space.

Second longest is a 30m rope that used to be the anchor rode before we switched to chain-only. Often useful for Scandinavian mooring for reaching trees that are a bit further away from shore.

Stemar

Visit site
A big lump of octoplait that was on Jissel when we bought her 20 years ago. I've used it a few times, most notably to pull a little mobo off the mud in Chichester harbour The tide was rising, but the wind just blew them aground each time they started to float

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
I feel so inadequate! 😁

Two x 30m - one an old climbing rope, and the other I'm not sure but nylon-esque was a bargain at SBS several years ago. The latter has been very useful on the Göta canal locks.

TSB240

Visit site
My Youngest grand child has the answer for you all.
The longest rope on a boat is the bell rope as there are no other "ropes" on a boat.

Trouble is she can name any line.
She should have been called Google at berth

B27

Visit site
My Youngest grand child has the answer for you all.
The longest rope on a boat is the bell rope as there are no other "ropes" on a boat.

Trouble is she can name any line.
She should have been called Google at berth
My boat runs to a bolt rope and a man rope.

Daydream believer

Visit site
As the instigator of the thread stretch, I suppose I need to confess that the longest rope on our boat is the main halyard, at 32 metres. 8mm Dyneema, so in fact very little stretch.
Did you not say that your halyard was 2:1 ? That would mean you have a very short mast if you hoist from the cockpit.
Mine is 1:1 & is 8mm dynema & is 35M both on jib & main. The main being a little short.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
50m of anchor warp. About 16mm I think and weights a ton and sits unused as the modern Supreme thinghy makes twin anchoring redundant and excessivly messy, but if I ever have to cut main anchor loose.....

Rowing it to the far buoy at Polperro would probably tip my dinghy up or some thing so use my old spinaker halliard as reaching line with my 12mm ordinary warp to follow

Last edited:

Minerva

Visit site
I have 2 x 220 metre lengths of 10mm Polyprop plus two half coils for use as shore lines in Patagonia. Only used the full length of one coil once, in a truly horrid anchorage - Bahia Borja - at the top end of Paso Tortuoso, Estrecho de Magallanes. I wont be stopping there again in a hurry.
Stowed in 'bolsas para verduras' secured to the taffrail when out and about, otherwise they live in the 'garden shed'. When in use I hang them under the end of the boom as shown.
Pic is 2 weeks before the austral winter solstice at the western end of Canal Beagle, getting underway at 0900. Oh Happy Days!

View attachment 179525
How do you size / what loadings do you get on your shore lines for adventurous expeditiony places like Patagonia? I would have thought 10mm too small for much more than a wayfarer, but clearly not!

Stingo

Visit site
Late to this thread, sorry.

Except for the bell rope, there are no ropes on my boat - they all have a specific name eg sheet, warp, line, halyard.... and so on. My guess is the bell rope is no more than 6 inches.

Frank Holden

Visit site
You win, Frank! :D

But do please explain the two vertical rods - one white, one black - secured to the s'board quarter pushpittery.
SERIOUS THREAD DRIFT WARNING!
Left to right, Turnstile antenna to receive NOAA weather sats on 137MHz, 'Moonraker' brand HF whip, VHF ant for AIS, boothook.
The WXtoImg software is brilliant or at least it was until the writer of the program stopped supporting it and the site that supplied the Keplers changed its address. I must have another shot at getting it running again. Was a time when it was one of my primary wx sources04140837.jpeg.

Frank Holden

Visit site
How do you size / what loadings do you get on your shore lines for adventurous expeditiony places like Patagonia? I would have thought 10mm too small for much more than a wayfarer, but clearly not!
Maybe they are 12mm, can't remember. Just the size suggested to me when I first arrived there. Object of the exercise is to anchor and tie up that close in the wind can't get to you. I've only had a few nights when I feared for cleats pulling out of the deck or trees pulling out of the ground but never feared for the lines.100_0810.jpeg

Minerva

Visit site
Maybe they are 12mm, can't remember. Just the size suggested to me when I first arrived there. Object of the exercise is to anchor and tie up that close in the wind can't get to you. I've only had a few nights when I feared for cleats pulling out of the deck or trees pulling out of the ground but never feared for the lines.View attachment 179559
Tremendous!