Swallows and Amazons - 5 Stars from Libby

phanakapan

Visit site
I've just seen it- thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't have a problem with the re-naming of Titty, or the addition of the silly spies- but I do mind that the character of Susan and her relationship with John has been altered; in the books she is a bit bossy but very competent and cheerful- in the film she is portrayed as moany, bickers with John, can't cook.... however Roger and Titty/Tatty are delightful and spot on imho

Babylon

Visit site
I'll be taking my kid. The film will be for him to enjoy, not for me to critically dissect.

PS he's got an older but functional wooden Oppy, but has no interest in racing at the local reservoir club. However bringing it with us to Newtown Creek or Brownsea Island appeals much more to his innate imagination.

Frank Holden

Visit site

jbweston

Visit site
Three of us went yesterday. Our combined ages about 170.

I enjoyed it. I think the secret with many of these films of books is not to compare them with the books and certainly not let it spoil our enjoyment of the books. I just treat the film and the book as separate creations - eg Master and Commander, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Tinker Tailor etc. Some of them are good, some OK and some just bad films.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I could just about swallow (pun intended) the changing of Titty's name to "Tatty" (it comes from the same source - Joseph Jacob's story "Titty Mouse and Tatty Mouse") even though "Titty" was the real world nickname of Mavis Altounyan on whom "Titty" is based and even though the Altounyan family are furious over the name change but if they've fundamentally changed Susan's character I shan't bother watching the film

The sensible, practical character of Susan (particularly her ability to cook and keep the crew properly fed etc.) is crucial to the storyline because it's the principal reason their mother is prepared to let them go off and have adventures by themselves. If her character does not have that practical competence, the whole story becomes much less credible

Mind you, that said, Susie Altounyan later expressed annoyance at being portrayed as the sensible character :) (could have been worse, her elder sister Taqui had to put up with a gender change!)

For those not in the know, the Swallows were loosely based on the Altounyan family, Taqui, Susan (aka Susie), Mavis (aka Titty), Roger and Bridgit the children of Ransome's friends Ernest and Dora (to whom Ransom had proposed after being turned down by her sister Barbara only to be turned down again) after the family met up with Ransom whilst on holiday in the Lake District which itself was the inspiration for the storyline of Swallows and Amazons.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I have to admit that I have never actually read an Arthur Ransome, though I have enjoyed looking at the occasional excerpt. At the age when I might have read one, I really was not into reading story books, so I am not well place to judge, but there must be very very few film adaptations in this genre that live up to the original, when the literary style is so much part of the character of the book. The wry, whimsical and ironic humour just can't seem to be reproducible.
There is no such thing a "At the age when I might have read one" :) I still read them with enjoyment - and probably get more from them than I did when I was at Junior School age! And some of them probably my subsequent path through life - Winter Holiday, Secret Water and Pigeon Post are all directly relevant to my career, and formed my ambitions as a child. Admittedly there are probably few people who qualified as a Geologist and went on to map the polar regions!

sgr143

Visit site
There is no such thing a "At the age when I might have read one" :) I still read them with enjoyment -!

Despite being an avid reader as a child (and ever since) , oddly I never read any of the Swallows and Amazon books until my daughter started dinghy sailing, and I bought her S&A as a Xmas present. Once I picked it up, I was completely hooked, and I bought and we both devoured the whole set in a pretty short space of time! I can take or leave Peter Duck and Missee Lee, and Secret Water for some reason never really grabbed me that well; but the others I've reread many times over. We didn't mean to go to Sea is I think my favourite, but all the Lake District ones are a delight.

BTW, as well as the 1974 film of S&A, there was a BBC series that combined Coot Club with The Big Six. I have it on DVD, oddly entitled "Swallows and Amazons for Ever", despite having the two Ds in it, but not any of the Swallows or the Amazons! It's rather nice, and really great on all the vintage transport used - especially the wonderful Norfolk wherry. It also has Patrick Troughton (aka Dr Who) as Harry the Eel Man, which can't be bad.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Our 9 and 5 year olds saw it at the weekend and loved it. The 9 year old was captivated and the 5 year old was terrified and enthralled in equal measure. I thought it was a great family film, superb first half but very clunky editing in th second half, like they'd been told by the studio to cut 20 minutes at all costs. As for being upset by them replacing an i with an a I can't see how that affects the film, so what?