Sunseeker 23 Daycab

ported0

Visit site
Seen a couple of these for sale and they have piqued my interest in my search for a real boat, any experience or thoughts?

John

scej

Back in Poole, delivering boats for a living and a
Visit site
Nice boat i think you will find that the later ones where badged as Sunseeker but the early ones where Poole Powerboats same thing tho. they where from memory well built, i would go for one with single v8 rather than the twin 130/40 option. they also vary in price i think a good late one 1983 is worth about 8-10 k max in good condition although i stand to be corrected!!!! as am now loafing about the caribbean and have lost touch a little with uk prices but when i was working as a broker that was my view on price and that was 18months ago

Peanuts

Visit site
I had one of these for 18 years! Loved it to bits, mine had 2 x volvo 140's - no problem. If you want more info I will gladly talk for hours on the things to look for on the boat structure and have most of the engine parts cross refered for local car shops.

Toz

Visit site
I had one of these for 18 years! Loved it to bits, mine had 2 x volvo 140's - no problem. If you want more info I will gladly talk for hours on the things to look for on the boat structure and have most of the engine parts cross refered for local car shops.

Hello, i just bought a Sunseeker 23 dc with the same engines, so all information you can gime me will be hugely appreciated.

Thank you

Toz

Visit site
Hello, it´s my first boat so all information will be appreciated.
Right now i would like to know about fuel millage, problems, maintenance and any advice you can give me.

Thanks.

Toz

Visit site
It´s my first boat, so anything will be useful.
I´m specialy interested in maintenance, milleage, most frequent problems, where to find parts, etc

Peanuts

Visit site
I had a text from another forum member just saying "I have a feeling there is going to be a big post on mby"

So before we start just confirm you have a 23DC with twin engines, are they the 140's and the outdrives are 280's single prop. Just in case I know the boat already what is the name of her?

Whereabouts are you based?

Toz

Visit site
Hello, im based in Portugal and so is the boat. Itas a 23 dc and has twin volvo penta with 140hp, but i don´t know what outdrives she has.

Here´s a photo:

sunseeker-23dc-13367040141754685357665752564570x.jpg

Toz

Visit site
Yes, its a 23DC with twin Volvo Penta 140 hp. I don´t know what outdrives it has, but they are single props.
I´m based in Portugal.

Here´s a picture:

sunseeker-23dc-13356040141754685357566750484565x.jpgsunseeker-23dc-13367040141754685357665752564570x.jpgsunseeker-23dc-13343040141754685357536656514557x.jpg

Peanuts

Visit site
Thanks for the pictures, I can see she is a pre 80 model, the stainless engine vents give that away. One thing I notice is the very high antifoul line at the stern, does it really sit that low in the water? Mine was nowhere near that, probably at least 250mm lower.

Toz

Visit site
Well, i didn't noticed how low it sits in the water, i only noticed that the water was at least 50mm below the swimming platform, even with 5 persons on board. Is that a problem? I´m going to finish the deal this weekend, so every advise is very useful.
The selle said they are 280 outdrives.

RobWales

www.3ksengineering.com
Yes, its a 23DC with twin Volvo Penta 140 hp. I don´t know what outdrives it has, but they are single props.
I´m based in Portugal.

Here´s a picture:

View attachment 60663View attachment 60664View attachment 60665

Antifoul might just have been applied a little too high above the water line?
One thing of note...I'm told that you should never antifoul right up to the transome shield of the outdrives but leave a 1 inch gap all around?
Something to do with the galvanic reaction and the possibility of copper particles in the antifoul racting with the alloy of the drives.....

Peanuts

Visit site
Sorry I have not been able to give advice, have been a bit busy.

One question I have to ask, are you sure those are 280 outdrives, I stand to be corrected but they look like 270's to me.

Briefly you need to check the spray rails for cracking especially where the bulkheads are although it looks like it's just been antifouled so that could be difficult to do. In the cabin lift the cushions and inspect the bulkheads where they are attached to the inside of the hull, they are known to crack there, do this fore and aft.
On the engines check the cam belt running gear, look for corrosion on the area the belt contacts, ask when the exhaust manifolds were last changed. They corroded at number 4 exhaust post and eat into the head, this can be repaired though but could be used to reduce price.
Check the cabin long side windows for cracking on the plastic around the countersunk screws, the plastic age hardens and cracks.
Ask if any problems with fuel tank, these are aluminium and can corrode if water gets in around the injected foam, can be removed without lifting engines if required. Plastic water tank is under aft cabin centre floor, remove centre cushion and floor to inspect.
Does it still have the spirit cooker?
Regarding the outdrives ask when bellows last changed and check for emulsified oil.
That's the short version, let me know if you require any further info.

Toz

Visit site
Hello, is there much difference between the 270 and the 280?
Can you give me a bold figure on mileage?
Can you tell me the best and the worst features about this boat?
Unfortunately it doesn't has the spirit cooker. but everything else looks ok.
I was surprised to see how good it looks after 38 years (its from 1978).

Peanuts

Visit site
I am sorry to say I don't have any experience with the 270 leg, maybe some one else on here may do. Regarding the mileage I used to calculate 2 miles to the gallon (4.55L)
Once I had modified my 23 there was nothing I would change, had heating, hot water and knew everything about the structure, that why I kept her for 18 years. Only moved up in size due to family growing.

Toz

Visit site
Can you tell me at what rpm you got that mileage? What was the speed? I plan to do 90 kms and would like to know how much time would take. Thanks.

Peanuts

Visit site
That was my average consumption, used to cruise at 20 + knots, the fuel tank capacity is 50 gallons (227L). Trying to remember what RPM I cruised at - age related problem.