Summer has started!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Turf Lock on the Exeter Ship Canal?
If so, do you know if they are planning to open the bridge to allow boats up to Exeter basin this summer?
They will do it on prior arrangement but it’s not cheap, around £230 for both ways. Whereas locking into the canal and staying on the visitors pontoon is £23 per night, min 2 nights. Water and electric is available, as well as a loos and a shower.
It’s a lovely spot, right outside a fantastic pub. And with the added bonus of fresh water to give your hull a free clean. And you can take your dinghy up to another good pub, the Double Locks. From there you can walk into Exeter, probably 45 mins or so. Or take your bikes and take advantage of the excellent river Exe trail which of course runs straight by both pubs.

TwoHooter

Visit site
They will do it on prior arrangement but it’s not cheap, around £230 for both ways. Whereas locking into the canal and staying on the visitors pontoon is £23 per night, min 2 nights. Water and electric is available, as well as a loos and a shower.
It’s a lovely spot, right outside a fantastic pub. And with the added bonus of fresh water to give your hull a free clean. And you can take your dinghy up to another good pub, the Double Locks. From there you can walk into Exeter, probably 45 mins or so. Or take your bikes and take advantage of the excellent river Exe trail which of course runs straight by both pubs.
Thanks. £230 is a bit cheaper than the £800 I was told! But still a lot.

Hurricane

Visit site
We often do the bike ride from Starcross to Turf Locks.
Park the car near the The Anchor Inn and have another beer when we get back!!
The route to Turf Locks is quite short and used to cross the railway using a dodgy crossing but they have a super new foot/cycle bridge now.
Just a short bike ride for us oldies!!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Many, many years ago I went to a party at the Double Locks we camped in the garden, great food I seem to remember.
Probably when Tony and Trev were running the place. They left when it became a Youngs pub about 20 odd years ago and coincidentally became the landlords of my local near Taunton. I then moved down to Exeter 15 years ago and discovered Tony moved down just a few months later and again became the landlord of my local, the Poachers in Ide. It’s a small world.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
We often do the bike ride from Starcross to Turf Locks.
Park the car near the The Anchor Inn and have another beer when we get back!!
The route to Turf Locks is quite short and used to cross the railway using a dodgy crossing but they have a super new foot/cycle bridge now.
Just a short bike ride for us oldies!!
I rode over that bridge several times yesterday on my mission to get burgers and sausages from Powderham farm shop.
It normally rains when I reach Cockwood, about 10 miles away from home !