Suggestions on a one night mooring (Clifton - Wallingford)

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
Going away on our two week cruise this weekend up to Abingdon and back. After staying at Abingdon we normally head to back to Benson marina - but felt the price had gone up quite steeply (think it was working out about £25 a night).

Has anyone moored at the following places recentley and if so, whats it like:

Clifton Hampden - years ago (about 12 years) we moored just upstream of the bridge on the thames path, but think this is all overgrown now and maybe shallow? Anyone used the EA lock moorings at Clifton - can you access Long Wittenham from there by walking ?
Are there moorings downstream of the bridge on the thames path side? seem to remember seeing boats there but not sure if they were liveaboards?
Shillingford - is the hotel still open / offering moorings there. Again we moored up there about 8 years ago, but the hotel was very tired?
Benson - are there any public moorings just before you come to the marina downstream?

We will be mooring at Wallingford / Days lock on the way up, so ideally looking to do somewhere different on the way back

Moulsford / South Stoke - any public moorings here ? Can you moor at the Beetle & Wedge, assuming if you are booked in for a meal?

The next night will be spent at Goring, so just looking for somewhere between Abingdon & Goring.

harvey38

Visit site
I'd head up just past Moulsford and use the free moorings at Wallingford, a nice little town with all the facilities you would need, pubs eateries, supplies etc.

Bran

Visit site
Just above Cleeve lock, left hand side opposite Withymead nature reserve, nice open mooring, there is a mobile no to call to pay farmer.
Just above the Beetle and Wedge is a short signed public mooring on right hand side heading upstream, last year it looked as though it had been cleared up.
The Thames path runs alongside the lock moorings at Clifton, that is the only access to Long Wittenham back via Clifton bridge. The wild moorings near the bridge looked very overgrown last time I was passing.
Shillingford hotel looked even more rundown last year, no public mooring availability that I could see.
You can pre book a mooring at Benson, above the lock. No access across the weir but you can walk into Wallingford.
Hope you have a great break.

Chris_d

Visit site
Some others;
Going downstream of Clifton Bridge basically anywhere on the right all the way to Days Lock is ok for an overnight if you can find a suitable spot.
Days lock I'm sure you are familiar with.
Just before the entrance to the River Thame anywhere you can get in, the Thame itself used to be good but now unfortunately all overgrown, use to take a 30ft Cruiser all the way up to Dorchester Bridge many years ago.
Shillingford Bridge Hotel, as you approach the S bends before the Hotel its ok to moor on the right before the first bend opposite the old small boathouse.
No where between Shillingford and Benson except one small spot opposite the nunnery if its not overgrown.
Outside the Riverside Cafe at Benson is actually public except Le Boat seem to have claimed it all.
Beetle and Wedge moorings are good and bookable, they come out to take your lines, although it recently only got a 2 star hygiene rating so at your risk :)
The Leathern Bottle is an expensive but good Italian that now has a bookable mooring, and they have finally installed some cleats to tie to!

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
Just above Cleeve lock, left hand side opposite Withymead nature reserve, nice open mooring, there is a mobile no to call to pay farmer.
Just above the Beetle and Wedge is a short signed public mooring on right hand side heading upstream, last year it looked as though it had been cleared up.
The Thames path runs alongside the lock moorings at Clifton, that is the only access to Long Wittenham back via Clifton bridge. The wild moorings near the bridge looked very overgrown last time I was passing.
Shillingford hotel looked even more rundown last year, no public mooring availability that I could see.
You can pre book a mooring at Benson, above the lock. No access across the weir but you can walk into Wallingford.
Hope you have a great break.
Great info, thanks.

Is the benson lock one an EA one, ie book through the lock keeper?

harvey38

Visit site
A long time since we had our boats on the Thames but we used to moor up when we saw a decent mooring, we never left it too late in the day (well, once and never again!) and the only plan would be when supplies needed replenishing.

I don't see the point in planning on the Thames, a rough idea maybe.