Substantial money saving tips for Yanmar GM Series owners

Dean-Bolton

Visit site
Cheers Dean-Bolton.
Mines a 3gm30 f so it looks like it should be doable.
Steve

Hi Steve,
It's good news and bad news. The YM pump will bolt on using the upper bolt and the belt aligns perfectly. However, the adjusting slot is miles away from the engine. The factory back plate bracket for the YM series won't fit the GM series at all as the timing cover is a different shape. It looks like it would be possible at least in theory to make a custom back plate that would do the job. Food for thought there.
IMAG3343__________wi850he650moletterboxbgwhite.jpg

IMAG3345__________wi850he650moletterboxbgwhite.jpg

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I managed to get a lip seal with 2 lips
Wasn't sure of stainless spring so fitted a o ring
After 200 hrs still going good
Have fun

The stainless spring works well. Volvo seals appear to be identical to the Yanmar ones, with a stainless spring instead of a copper alloy one. I had been using the Volvo one for some years, until Marine-power offered me some similar, non-Volvo ones for half the price, since when I have carried them.

gilesfordcrush

Visit site
The basic idea of replacing the standard pump with the Yanmar 128990-42510 version, so the impeller can be changed without removing the pump. Thanks Dean-Bolton for posting those pictures of a GM with it attached, and the older version for comparison. I think it would be fairly simple to modify the backplate by welding on an additional plate for the adjusting slot. The quandry is whether to spend quite a bit of money on the newer version and get welding or not!

Giles

Dean-Bolton

Visit site
Would anyone be interested in some sort of group buy? We could have some brackets made that allow existing pumps and also the new style pumps to be fitted. If enough people went for it we could have them zinc plated also so they would look like the factory items.
Ballpark I would imagine just the bracket would be somewhere between £50 - £100. If enough people were interested in a full kit with new hose and anything else required we could look at that too.
Should we start a new thread for this?

Laysula

www.stevehuntdrivinginstructor.co.uk
Yes I would be up for that.
Would anyone be interested in some sort of group buy? We could have some brackets made that allow existing pumps and also the new style pumps to be fitted. If enough people went for it we could have them zinc plated also so they would look like the factory items.
Ballpark I would imagine just the bracket would be somewhere between £50 - £100. If enough people were interested in a full kit with new hose and anything else required we could look at that too.
Should we start a new thread for this?

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
ok my original 2GM20 pump isnt priming. we tried cleaning the inside and faceplate with emery paper, replaces the impeller and gasket with original yanmar ones. still not priming. even after manually priming the flow isnt that good and it easily gets an air bubble. So we beleiv i do need a new pump. i dont care if its facing away now just need a replacement but they arent of course cheap at an eye watering £500+. not sure what to do.

Spyro

Visit site
ok my original 2GM20 pump isnt priming. we tried cleaning the inside and faceplate with emery paper, replaces the impeller and gasket with original yanmar ones. still not priming. even after manually priming the flow isnt that good and it easily gets an air bubble. So we beleiv i do need a new pump. i dont care if its facing away now just need a replacement but they arent of course cheap at an eye watering £500+. not sure what to do.
If the face plate is worn, try turning it round and refit after cleaning up the surface.