Stuck at Ilfracombe

SaltyMoose

Visit site
Hi,

I’m new here and new to sailing, having sailed from Poole to Carbis Bay with the help of a skipper. The skipper had to bail at Carbis Bay leaving me to solo this boat to its final destination.

My original intention was to take this 30ft Dufour Arpege with the help of a skipper to Aberystwyth however a number of issues have arisen during the passage.

First, the wiring on this boat is something an electrician would have a heart attack seeing. The alternator was wired to charge the batteries as expected but without any kind of over voltage protection.

The alternator overcharged the batteries and then the alternator died, I can no longer charge the batteries from the engine. Luckily I can just about keep the batteries afloat with solar.

After attempting to cross the Bristol Channel with the help of a skipper we were forced to bail due to lack of good wind for sail we had been promised. We calculated that the fuel we had wouldn’t last motoring the whole way and decided to go for our bail out plan and made way to Carbis Bay.

After the skipper hopped off at Carbis Bay I took the boat to Padstow and stopped there a couple of nights. Checking the weather, tides and waves everything looked good to make it from Padstow to Dale near Milford Boat Haven.

Looking at the wind I should have got good wind to go to Dale and the waves were forecasted to be 0.5 with 6-7 second wave period. I topped up on fuel and made sure I had enough to motor the whole journey if I needed to and prepared boat for the journey.

I rechecked the forecasts that morning and all seemed fine so I set off early in the morning hoping to get to Dale for good time. I got about 1/4 of the way across and started to encounter waves the size of pyramids, it was difficult to keep the boat under control, the boat was leaving the water and diving back down bow first straight in to the drink, I’ve never seen anything like it, there were at least 2 times when I thought that was the end for me!

The tiller was snatched out of my hand and as I tried to grab it back it swang back and cracked me on the arm, I realised at this point I might have broken my arm.

I quickly worked out that it would be quicker and safer to return to land so I headed for Clovelly and bailed on my plan to cross the Bristol Channel.

I arrived at Clovelly and decided to work out a more safer coastal hugging plan thinking I could manage with a bad arm suspecting it being more swelling/muscle problems rather than broken bone.

After working some things out I decide to crawl closer towards Swansea to make the jump to Swansea from Ilfracombe with the intention of resting up in Swansea and hiding from the really bad weather that’s about to hit the Bristol Channel (up to 4m waves and 40+ knots wind).

I set off the following morning for Ilfracombe, the water looked almost flat and I felt confident in the predictions and plan I had put together however coming round Croyd the waves again began to get bigger and bigger. At one point the boat left the water, I could hear the prop whizzing in the air just before slamming back down in to the water, the waves were coming over the bow so much so that it filled the cockpit with water. At one point, again the tiller was snatched from my hand and swung back and slapped my arm again in the same place as last time.

Unable to cast anchor alone at Ilfracombe I requested the help of the HM but no one was available to assist. They called the local RLNI to help and they helped tie me on to the RLNI mooring buoy just outside of Ilfracombe Harbour.

I’m currently at Ilfeacombe, still tied on to the RLNI mooring buoy, it’s currently smashing in to the side of the boat and I worry for the hull. I’ve tried to put fenders round the boat but I don’t have many, seems to be working for the most part but there are many gaps in my defence and it’s still managing to hit the hull.

I’ve contacted the coast guard to ask for assistance however they said I will just have to wait it out here but can offer help getting to land for medical attention for my arm. I originally asked for assistance getting to a safe harbour (Swansea is close, about 5 hours) but they were unable to assist.

With the bad weather coming in (it’s already really really rolly, boat like a rocking horse getting smashed by the RLNI bouy) I fear for the weather coming in.

Any advice/help would be very much appreciated.

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
I would suggest a word with the Ilfracombe harbourmaster to see if he/she can find a stretch of wall, or a boat, to dry out against in the inner harbour. You may need to find a plank of wood to put your fenders behind and care will need to be taken to ensure your boat leans towards the wall. Advice on drying out probably available on internet. A fin keel boat like the Arpege can be made to dry out with care.

SaltyMoose

Visit site
I would suggest a word with the Ilfracombe harbourmaster to see if he/she can find a stretch of wall, or a boat, to dry out against in the inner harbour. You may need to find a plank of wood to put your fenders behind and care will need to be taken to ensure your boat leans towards the wall. Advice on drying out probably available on internet. A fin keel boat like the Arpege can be made to dry out with care.

This was suggested to me by a couple of people but also I’ve been warned against it so I’m unsure if this would work out for the best but right now feels like my only option. I’m alone and don’t feel like I’d be able to do this alone with a bad arm but I need to look in to this more as I’ve never attempted to stand up any boat against a wall in a harbour.

Have you contacted the local sailing club for advice?

Good call, I’ll see if I can get in contact with them and see if they can offer any advice!

38mess

Visit site
This was suggested to me by a couple of people but also I’ve been warned against it so I’m unsure if this would work out for the best but right now feels like my only option. I’m alone and don’t feel like I’d be able to do this alone with a bad arm but I need to look in to this more as I’ve never attempted to stand up any boat against a wall in a harbour.

Good call, I’ll see if I can get in contact with them and see if they can offer any advice!
Is your boat a blue hulled yacht on the mooring bout at the entrance to the harbour? If so can I suggest that you get permission to come in and tie against the wall.... there is some bad weather forecast in the next few days. Your boat has a fin keel with a bulb on the bottom if memory serves.

Last edited:

SaltyMoose

Visit site
Is your boat a blue hulled yacht on the mooring bout at the entrance to the harbour? If so can I suggest that you get permission to come in and tie against the wall.... there is some bad weather forecast in the next few days. Your boat has a fin keel with a bulb on the bottom if memory serves.

There were two versions of this boat if memory serves me right, one with a bulb and one without. Having never had this boat out of water (bought her quite recently to take to abber to do some work on her) I’m unsure which type of keel it has, not sure if it has a bulb or not.

I’ve never tied a boat to a wall and worry with my arm I’d have difficulty in doing it but this does sound like the best option.

38mess

Visit site
I've done a lot of sailing in the past on a your class of boat. They are very capable boats and will take a lot of punishment. Good luck watever you decide to do

SaltyMoose

Visit site
I've done a lot of sailing in the past on a your class of boat. They are very capable boats and will take a lot of punishment. Good luck watever you decide to do

Yeah, thankfully she seems like a strong boat and after this experience it’s really proved it to me.

After speaking to the HM they’re going to help and provide assistance tying her up to the wall at Ilfracombe, the weather looks quite bad coming in, in the next few days so looks to be the safest plan!

Just waiting out for high tide then I’m going to take her in.

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
She’s now tied off to the wall at Ilfracombe harbour, the people here are fantastic, very helpful and very kind.

She’s almost fully dried out now, I’m stood here watching in fear, never done this before but so far so good!
Can you find some crew to help finish your journey
Failing that perhaps pay for someone to help you?

SaltyMoose

Visit site
When do you expect to arrive in Swansea if i’m about i’ll try and help you its also a pretty safe place to stop for a few days.

The weathers looking pretty bad for the next week at least and possibly in to the second week. I was hoping to make the jump to Swansea from Ilfracombe to make it easier to get to Aberystwyth/Cardiff, looking more like Cardiff now so could probably take a more direct approach to Cardiff.

Can you find some crew to help finish your journey
Failing that perhaps pay for someone to help you?

My arms not doing so well at the moment so this sounds like a good idea, got about 2 weeks of bad weather so hopefully plenty of time to find a second pair of hands to help out.

VicS

Visit site
She’s now tied off to the wall at Ilfracombe harbour, the people here are fantastic, very helpful and very kind.

She’s almost fully dried out now, I’m stood here watching in fear, never done this before but so far so good!
Is this you ( at least your mast) right up by the lifeboat slip ?

1695050663797.png

SaltyMoose

Visit site
Have you considered Porthcawl?

A shorter trip for you and closer to your final destination.

That might be better! Thanks! Originally intended to get her to Aberystwyth but I think I’m going to try for a winter birth at Cardiff so unsure as of yet to jump from here to Swansea/Porthcawl or take a direct approach to Cardiff.

Is this you ( at least your mast) right up by the lifeboat slip ?

View attachment 164170

Yes, that’s her mast poking out over the wall! :) That’s also me at the railing looking down at her, the phone signal’s not too great round here especially on the boat so have to come up to use the phone.

Last edited:

SaltyMoose

Visit site
IMG-1620.jpg
After getting her out of the water I’ve managed to have a good look under neath her and she’s in much need of a scrape and wash!

But more concerning was the fact that I realised there was some line wrapped around the prop! Managed to cut it off but yeah, thankfully hasn’t (that im aware of) caused any problems.

Emmark

Visit site
I had a nice fish and chips across the harbour there about a month back, horrendous weather that day too.

You have probably gained a lot of valuable experience the last few days so look on the positives.

You also have a better idea what you need to get sorted on it over the winter!

When did you buy it?

SaltyMoose

Visit site
I had a nice fish and chips across the harbour there about a month back, horrendous weather that day too.

You have probably gained a lot of valuable experience the last few days so look on the positives.

You also have a better idea what you need to get sorted on it over the winter!

When did you buy it?

I bought it a couple of months ago from someone in Itchenor, it looks like it’s just been sat there and left to rot.

We cleaned it up best we could and had a nice holiday in it sailing around Poole, Swanage and Studland Bay. Just working on getting her somewhere to give her the love she deserves, she’s looked after us and we’ll look after her!