Stone point - walton etc

davidfox

Visit site
I know that this was touched on in another thread, but i believe that we need to involve the locals, Is anyone from WFYC or Tichmarsh monitoring the situation with regard to silting up as they did last year? the info that was provided last year was invaluable, I must say that it was a bit buttock clenching entering when someone was coming out as the depth dropped off dramatically within a couple of meters, especially when you draw 1.9 like we do.
The topography of Stone point (around where the WFYC sign stood) had changed alarmingly, over the back, the sand dunes had been dramatically eroded. Looking towards the drowned lighters, it was possible to see the tide swirling over the mud banks instead of coming up through the channel at Stone Point, presumably because so much volumn was trying to force itself through a restricted gap, this made the boats at anchor point all over the place some even against the expected tide. If its going to be worse this year!!

Marmalade

Visit site
Last weekend we were coming out of Hamford and encountered an Etap on a collision course. We, as windward boat judged that we'd pass comfortably in front of him - until that was, he bore away. As Stand on boat I felt he should have held his course but as windward boat we came about all-a-fluster and he passed close by. I looked him in the eye for an acknowledgement, a nod or gesture that indicated he appreciated our giving way. Nothing.

An hour later we heard an Etap call the coastguard having gone aground at Stone Point (you thought I was off topic didn't you!). I can't know for certain that it was the same one - but the sailing gods do have a sense of justice I feel...

nortada

Visit site
Titchmarsh Marina Post Latest On Stone Point

We were in Ipswich last weekend and the Walton boats looked to be have a good time, any feed back from anyone re Stone point?

Looked on the W&FYC website & see Titchmarsh Marina have posted latest info, including detail of dredging in the near future.

johnalison

Visit site
As WFYC say, Titchmarsh have chartlets in their office for guidance only, but presumably this will all change after the proposed ploughing.

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
Pics from www.wfyc.co.uk site

Sorry for big 1st picture - at least you can read the soundings!

Stone%20Apr%202013001.jpg

Stone%20Apr%202013%20b.jpg

Captain Pete

www.wfyc.co.uk
Stone Point is due to be dredged next Monday and Tuesday, and possibly Wednesday.

The dredging vessel can only operate 2hrs either side of HW due to its size and depth restrictions in the area..

I believe that this will be another plough dredge similar to that done previously.

I will be on the guard vessel Limosa while this operation is being performed.

We will not really know how effective the work has been until another offical survey has been done. I have no details for when this has been arranged.

Latest details can be found on www.wfyc.co.uk

Last edited:

Toutvabien

Visit site
I hope the dredging is effective but would worry that the long term balance of flow and depth has shifted, at least for a while.

Coming past Stone Point on Monday morning, 24/6, at 04:15 2.5 hours before LW we had 2.3 metres, 0.6 below our 1.7m keel. I am glad that we did not leave it much later to depart.

Nice early start meant we were back in Brightlingsea by 10am.

Jomo

Visit site
Some poor chap aground at Stone point on Tuesday evening when we arrived from Dover. Harwich ILB was called to assist him when tide started coming back in at about 21.00. No piccies, as there but for the grace of God go I !

Jeannette B appeared on wedneday, and plowed for about 3 hours, so should be better for a while. I await survey results, but much traffic though wed and Thurs morning. Suggest don't risk low water.

ianc1200

Visit site
I think the entrance is still difficult, at LW +2 sat on the beach at the entrance yesterday afternoon and watched boats touch and make quick alterations, and one long keeler get caught and beginning to list very quickly. I would guess he wasn't close to the red buoy as has been advised, but having said that one of the red buoys closer to the cardinal appeared to be aground itself (it was leaning over such that it appeared aground. I did notice the beach shape had changed from last weekend, there was a drop in the shingle almost like a 1m high retaining wall, which appeared to have gone yesterday.

pks1702

Visit site
New chartlet looks accurate to me, we went around the weekend after dredging had been completed depth in the channel going round 2 hours before HW 12 feet under our 'bottom'.

Coming out we were 3 hours after HW and had 8 feet but there was a yacht aground on the spit on the dog leg around the point which is a 90 degree turn, I think more lack of concentration rather than too shallow.