Stone point - walton etc

XTE

Visit site
At 1.5 hrs before LW I found a minimum of 2.4m depth of water at Stone Point yesterday. The LW height above chart datum was forecast at 0.60 m, therefore, there was 3m above CD at 1.5 hrs before LW. We made it into Titchmash without drama and tied up 1 hr before LW. Seems to be just like I have been used to for some years, before the silting.

Last edited:

dennyjc

Visit site
At 1.5 hrs before LW I found a minimum of 2.4m depth of water at Stone Point yesterday. The LW height above chart datum was forecast at 0.60 m, therefore, there was 3m above CD at 1.5 hrs before LW. We made it into Titchmash without drama and tied up 1 hr before LW. Seems to be just like I have been used to for some years, before the silting.

Thanks for that
So starting with your measured minimum depth of water of 2.4m on the way through Walton channel entrance
I've done a bit of fiddling to get the actual height of Tide (using actual measured at Felixstowe and fiddle factors for Stone point)
The slight surge yesterday resulted in 1.2m of water at HW Walton -1.5Hrs

So

That gives a spot depth of 1.2m over CD
Still - that's much better then it used to be
and means that we can all get in there comfortably after half tide

XTE

Visit site
Thanks for that
So starting with your measured minimum depth of water of 2.4m on the way through Walton channel entrance
I've done a bit of fiddling to get the actual height of Tide (using actual measured at Felixstowe and fiddle factors for Stone point)
The slight surge yesterday resulted in 1.2m of water at HW Walton -1.5Hrs

So

That gives a spot depth of 1.2m over CD
Still - that's much better then it used to be
and means that we can all get in there comfortably after half tide

Do you mean that the LW height at this time was 1.2 when forecast to be 0.60 above CD and thus a surge height of 0.60?

Looks like i was lucky to get in!

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Sent to Titchmarsh Berth holders. Dredging happening this weekend........

Please be advised that Harwich Haven Authority will be dredging the channel at Stone Point on Monday 31st March to Wednesday 2nd April . The dredging operation will take place 2 hours either side of High Water. As a consequence, movement within the area will be severely restricted during this time.

PLEASE NOTE:

Navigational Buoys Red No. 16 Plumtree , Green No. 9 and Green No. 11 , will be removed prior to the commencement of operations and reinstated as soon as possible after 2nd April.

Any positional changes will be notified accordingly.

johnalison

Visit site
We used to sail in company with Lady Anne from Heybridge in the '70s. She had a lifting keel, which was fine until the mud came up into the cabin.

Cantata

Visit site
Sorry the definition is not too good, as received by me. It is less that 0.5m if you don't stick close to No.16. Hence the advice note to do just that, and assume 0.6 plus height of tide less fudge factor.
When I have a mo (writing a talk for Saturday at the moment! :ambivalence:), I will have a go at producing an ECP version with clearer figures.

Visit site
Anybody who has been in or out in the last couple of weeks able to confirm that 0.6m plus the tide sounds about right? I will print off the charter (thanks to all involved) but want to go in as early as possible on the flood next weekend....

nortada

Visit site
Came in at 50 mins after stated low water today, and although I was concentrating on steering, the lowest I saw was 2.4m!

Been playing in The Backwater for the past 2 months & have transited Stone Point from all directions on a number of occasions at various states of the tide. Additionally have anchored for appreciable periods so have watched the conditions over the whole tidal range.

It is my impression that of late the buoyed channel has become better defined with increasing depth & the turbulence has reduced.

Compared with the Deben or the Ore, Stone Point is pussy cat.

But, as always, only one opinion so would value any other inputs or opinions.

Last edited: