Stone point - walton etc

nortada

Visit site
Mm, right, she made it, but it's a little hairy, isn't it? What are people's thoughts on best times in and out?

Half tide - with the tide. After/before the run-off/flooding of the Backwater salting produce the strongest currents.

Vessels travelling against the flow, who will have excellent control at slow speeds (over the bottom) must give way to vessels travelling with the flow who will be travelling far faster (over the bottom) & have less control.

Above all, stay within the buoyed channel & beware of being washed onto the lateral buoys.

Provided your are careful it isn't hairy but satisfying to experience & manage the power of the elements.

Last edited:

swatchways

Visit site
Half tide - with the tide. After/before the run-off/flooding of the Backwater salting produce the strongest currents.

Vessels travelling against the flow, who will have excellent control at slow speeds (over the bottom) must give way to vessels travelling with the flow who will be travelling far faster (over the bottom) & have less control.

Above all, stay within the buoyed channel & beware of being washed onto the lateral buoys.

Provided your are careful it isn't hairy but satisfying to experience & manage the power of the elements.

Hmm, was hoping to get back some time tomorrow afternoon, what sort of currents are we talking against the flow at half tide? I do appreciate those against flow need to give way, that goes without saying!

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Once the salting are drained the flow markedly reduces so by half tide it is relatively benign.

Only wish it went without saying, but experience is showing that some vessels running against the flow are standing-on & making life difficult for vessels travelling in the opposite direction (especially at week-ends).

Spring tide today with 4.1m range & HW at 1428 BST so will be interested to hear how you get on

swatchways

Visit site
Once the salting are drained the flow markedly reduces so by half tide it is relatively benign.

Only wish it went without saying, but experience is showing that some vessels running against the flow are standing-on & making life difficult for vessels travelling in the opposite direction (especially at week-ends).

Spring tide today with 4.1m range & HW at 1428 BST so will be interested to hear how you get on

I have the same issues as you, people always squeeze us as we're a relatively slow boat, it's frustrating! No problems today - needed the engine working fairly hard, but that's no surprise given she's 5 tonnes and 10hp, but not the same place as Tuesday morning just after low water! Lesson learned there I think!

Seems ok so long as you are concentrating and planning ahead. Chap in front of us today waited for the one coming out, so we also backed off and left him plenty of room, it's just the right way to do it!

ETA we were bang on half tide and saw 3.3 metres. Wasn't echo watching all the time I must admit!

nortada

Visit site
Many Thanks

I have the same issues as you, people always squeeze us as we're a relatively slow boat, it's frustrating! No problems today - needed the engine working fairly hard, but that's no surprise given she's 5 tonnes and 10hp, but not the same place as Tuesday morning just after low water! Lesson learned there I think!

Seems ok so long as you are concentrating and planning ahead. Chap in front of us today waited for the one coming out, so we also backed off and left him plenty of room, it's just the right way to do it!

ETA we were bang on half tide and saw 3.3 metres. Wasn't echo watching all the time I must admit!

We are also 10hp pushing 5 tonnes of Snapdragon so are well aware of slow speed operations.

Thanks for the details. Increasingly 1/2 tide seems to be optimum. Was the 3.3 metres total depth or depth below the keel?

Heading down that way tomorrow on the afternoon ebb so will get some more stats.

nortada

Visit site
A 5 ton Snapdragon? Sounds unlikely. Might be Thames Measurement (i.e. notional load carrying capacity, not actual weight/displacement).

Correct, off the strike plate, so is Thames Measurement. I have never really understood how they arrive at notional load capacity.

Could possibly carry 5 tonnes of lead (probably would sink) but would certainly bulk out in grain. Length 26 foot - don't know displacement;)

Back to thread - if significant will advise conditions at Stone Point this afternoon.

Last edited:

Andy61

Visit site
I passed through Stone Point Wed 24/7/13 mid flood (around 11.00 hrs when HW 13.43hrs) outbound and returned the following day around 11.30hrs when HW 14.28 hrs. Springs gave strong tidal flow but there was plenty of water (3.3m under keel - 1.8m draught). I was following another yacht in and used Titchmarsh Marina's chartlet/diagram as my guide and had no problems.

nortada

Visit site
Chartlet - Stone Point Channel 28 July 13

I passed through Stone Point Wed 24/7/13 mid flood (around 11.00 hrs when HW 13.43hrs) outbound and returned the following day around 11.30hrs when HW 14.28 hrs. Springs gave strong tidal flow but there was plenty of water (3.3m under keel - 1.8m drought). I was following another yacht in and used Titchmarsh Marina's chartlet/diagram as my guide and had no problems.

Andy - concur all of your comments.

For more detail see chartlet attached (at the end of this post). It is noticeable how much Stone Point as 'grown' since Google completed their overhead pass.

One boat on 1 day so clearly all of the usual health warnings apply.

On Sat 27th July 13 at approximately 0800, 1 hour before low water, we completed a buoy crawl from Red 8 to Green 13 inbound to the Walton Channel the results are attached & for ease of identification, where applicable, the buoys names are included. Tidal predictions gave high water at 0329/4.2m & low water at 0910/0.6m (all times BST), Range 3.6m so a big tide.

The shallowest patch in the channel encountered was between Red 12 (Colin Bloom) & Red 14 (Frank Bloom) & corrected suggested a minimum depth of about 1m at the lowest tide.

Even at this state of the tide there was a noticeable tidal flow (in places across the channel), which meant that the buoys had to be given a reasonable berth - not that easy in such a narrow channel.

Out bound the previous afternoon 1 hr after high water the tidal flow across the channel was so strong, to give us safe clearance in places we past close to but on the wrong side of the buoy (to ensure we were washed of rather than on).

Believe there are a number of discussions as to the best solution to this problem so looking forward to their conclusions.

I closing we must reiterate all of the heath warnings a suggest caution transiting this area.

Hope this proves useful.

Attachments

• Stone Point (27 Jul 13).jpg
    Stone Point (27 Jul 13).jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Stone Point Channel Update Friday 6th Sep.

Transited the Stone Point Channel inbound from the Island Point NCM at low water in calm conditions. The minimum depth of 1.3 meters below chart datum encountered between Red 12 (Colin Bloom) & Red 14 (Frank Bloom) about 40 meters inbound from Red 12.

The channel is very narrow & it is essential to follow the dog leg around Green 9.

Attachments

• Stone Point (27 Jul 13).jpg
    Stone Point (27 Jul 13).jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

eggagent

Visit site
Stone Point 20.1.14

2 and 1/4 hours into the flood. Only 2.5 feet. When is it going to be surveyed again. Getting like a half tide entry / exit?

The shoal is mostly shingle/sand so not ideal.

Anyone else passed through there recently?

eggagent

Visit site
For clarity please -2.5 ft what? Depth? Under your keel? Above CD?

Was depth. to be honest the readings were all over the place. Not good, touched bottom which hard shingle/sand. The published chartlet is well out of date in my view and I suppose won't be surveyed until the spring when the place gets busy again.

nortada

Visit site
Was depth. to be honest the readings were all over the place. Not good, touched bottom which hard shingle/sand. The published chartlet is well out of date in my view and I suppose won't be surveyed until the spring when the place gets busy again.

Published chartlet? Are you referring to my efforts 6 Sep last year?

Would advise this was the result of a single pass & would give it no higher credibility than that. Much a case of anything is better than nothing - I would be most surprised if there have not been significant changes over the last 5 months (North Sea surge & all that).

Still in Portugal but will have another look following our return to the UK. In the meantime it would be interesting to hear others experiences.

eggagent

Visit site
Hi Nortada

I'm referring to the chart on the Titchmarsh Marina website issued in June 2013 I believe.

Our experience. Left Marina Monday 20.1.13 late, as low tide at 0745 tried to pass stone point at 10.00, between red 16 and green 15 went aground on gravel had depth actually went down to 2.2 ft when I got to 15 the depth then increased to 3.5ft.

As you say its becoming half tide entry / exit. The current is very strong and turbulent. In any weather with swell it wont be very nice.

My berth is at Titchmarsh but perhaps not for much longer. I can't live with this restriction and possibility of grounding each time I pass here.

Surely its in the Marina's interest to take regular soundings and keep their berth holders and visitors informed. Or are they believing everyone is still hibernating to the end of March.

eggagent

Visit site
Hi Nortada

I'm referring to the chart on the Titchmarsh Marina website issued in June 2013 I believe.

Our experience. Left Marina Monday 20.1.13 late, as low tide at 0745 tried to pass stone point at 10.00, between red 16 and green 15 went aground on gravel had depth actually went down to 2.2 ft when I got to 15 the depth then increased to 3.5ft.

As you say its becoming half tide entry / exit. The current is very strong and turbulent. In any weather with swell it wont be very nice.

My berth is at Titchmarsh but perhaps not for much longer. I can't live with this restriction and possibility of grounding each time I pass here.

Surely its in the Marina's interest to take regular soundings and keep their berth holders and visitors informed. Or are they believing everyone is still hibernating to the end of March.

Sorry should read 20.1.14

Hadenough

Visit site
Thanks for that. I draw 1.7 so although Stone Point is one of our favourite places we'll wait for some more local info I think. Input from Nortada and co was very useful last year, thanks.