Stiff throttles

ianainge

Visit site
Both of my throttles are stiff on engaging power, the first part gear selection is ok but the second stage is stiff ,i have disconnect each section in turn and narrowed it down to throttles themselves on the fuel pumps, any ideas how to fix problem?

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Are you sure it isn't the cables themselves that need changing? They do get stiff as they get older, unlike me I might add.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

steved

Visit site
I have the same problem on my P35 although this is limited to the lower helm position, I initially put this down to the fly bridge throttles being used more. However, I was advised to change all the cables after 10 years despite their usage, don't know whether this right or not.
Steved

<hr width=100% size=1>

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Did you try working the throttle levers with the cable disconnected. Mine turned out to be caked up with old grease and the main cause of the problem. Stripped em down, good clean and new grease worked wonders.Much more likely to be this than the engine end

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boatsontheweb.com/galleryframes.html> BoatsOnTheWeb, Photo Gallery, Chat Room</A>

Benny1

Visit site
If they are the standard Volvo jobbies then the basic problem will be that they are a flawed design. I could use some more crude language, but will refrain.

We used to have these on a Sunseeker San Remo 35 and we tried most things, but to no avail. Eventually we replaced them with some stainless Morse jobbies which looked and performed better, but were still by no means perfect.

This had been one of the major advances with the new EDC engins, in that no cable = smooth throttles. There are lots of other advantages too, but they all involve mechanical things which I don't understand at all.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

I had the same problem. I changed the cables and found great improvement their never great but the improvement was acceptable. Much worse on Dual station units.Morse controls seem to be easier than the Volvo ones. I agree with Benny Volvo ones awful.

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
If it seems Ok with cables disconected from engine. I'm presuming it's Volvo. At the end of the cable is a rod with two nuts on the end. The rod passes through a hole in a bracket. This is badly designed and sticks. I think Volvo do a replacement.. I rounded the corners of the hole off with a drill in my hand, then a bit of emery paper. That cured it.

<hr width=100% size=1>
ship_in_a_bottle_e0.gif
Haydn