Staying in EU 90 days

syvictoria

Visit site
I see
So its the EU imposed restriction.
I guess if the EU make it 180 days they then have to offer the same to every other 3rd country.

To be honest this does not affect me at the moment . But interested as it could affect me in the future.

I dont see problem really other than Visas are not free issue.

My understanding is that the EU wanted the 180/360 to be open to everyone (UK citizens). The UK wanted control over who was granted a visa (we're not talking about excluding criminals here, but potentially wider exclusions). This was not acceptable to the EU as it goes against some of their fundamental principles. The agreement would have been a bespoke UK-EU one and would not have required a change to Schengen (so it would not have had to extend to other third countries). It's a pity that an agreement couldn't have been reached, but again it needs to be stressed that it is only a very small minority who are affected.

Not all countries offer long stay visas for tourism. And no visa for one country offers entry to another above the standard Schengen 90/180 which we (UK citizens) are entitled to anyway. Therefore, depending upon how many countries you wish to visit and the intended time frame, applying for individual visas may work for you or it might not.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I hope the OP gets enough information before the thread is closed or deleted because some xxxx's insist on trying to score political points.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
A lot of discussion around this has boiled down to three legal ways: one is that you can can search your forebears for potential access to an EU passport. Two is that you can can find residency in one of the countries. Three is to use long stay tourist visas to extend your stay.
There are logistic and or bureaucratic issues with all three options.
I dare say that, as we move into to the endemic stage of covid, and given that EU countries are free to make their own negotiations, and some will have more desire or need for long stay UK visitors, it will become easier to have longer travel plans. Possibly it will settle down within the next 10 years.

Meanwhile we just have to get on with it!

billskip

Visit site
Thanks all for your replies.

I am eligible for a Irish passport, however, a relative who recently did tells me the Irish Gov have suspended the applications for the time being.

Lots to ponder, but I think it's not for me.
Get yourself on the list for Irish passport.
I read somewhere recently that Spain allow yachts unlimited time in spanish waters provided the owner did not live/ spend more than 183 days in Spain.
I dont know how up to date this info is, but if true, a work around keeping your boat in Spanish waters and say living in UK or with Irish passport, or even living in Portugal close to Spanish port could get round the 18 month for a boat rule.

IanCC

Visit site
But it's not all doom and gloom.

I know we used to have free reign in one of the most extensive and varied cruising areas in the world, but we won't have given up all those rights without getting something in return.

Would we? . . . Some one?
particularly pleasing that our EU friends negotiated access to the UK for EU citizens of 180 days at a time.

st599

Visit site
particularly pleasing that our EU friends negotiated access to the UK for EU citizens of 180 days at a time.

They didn't negotiate that, that's the UK's standard offer (and it has further hoops for some EU citizens).

It was reported we were offered 180 days if we removed those hoops, but that's not Govt. policy.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
They didn't negotiate that, that's the UK's standard offer (and it has further hoops for some EU citizens).

It was reported we were offered 180 days if we removed those hoops, but that's not Govt. policy.
I seem to remember it was due to existing rules, possibly even pre-dating EU. I thought it wasn't really offered and was just going to happen unless changes were made to the default position. What are the further hoops for EU citizens?

I didn't even think there was a hard limit of 180 days in one calendar year, possibly not even a rolling window either. I thought it might just flag up some questions if staying 6 months, leaving for a few months, returning and repeating. There's obviously a point where some says "oi, you seem to be living here".:D

I'd be interested to find out but not really of much importance personally.

syvictoria

Visit site
I didn't even think there was a hard limit of 180 days in one calendar year, possibly not even a rolling window either. I thought it might just flag up some questions if staying 6 months, leaving for a few months, returning and repeating. There's obviously a point where some says "oi, you seem to be living here".:D

It IS a rolling 90 in 180 days (or 180 in 360 for EU visitors to the UK, again rolling) and the rules ARE currently being enforced at times (but not universally for UK citizen over stayers as yet). The latter is unfortunately likely to change when ETIAS is up and running later this year.

The reasons behind the 90/180 and 180/360 have been discussed at length in numerous other threads. Essentially the difference stems from the UK gov's 'Taking back control of our borders' stance.

dgadee

Visit site
The reasons behind the 90/180 and 180/360 have been discussed at length in numerous other threads. Essentially the difference stems from the UK gov's 'Taking back control of our borders' stance.

I don't really understand this point - made by quite a few people. Isn't it Schengen borders which are being controlled, not ours? We allow up to 180 days, after which you pay tax. Our borders are not as controlled as Schengen ones, surely? Not making a point, just looking for clarification of the argument.

I've just booked a Greek marina off Turkey, hoping to be able to make use of both Greek and Turkey 90 day limits.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Setur in Lesvos.
Super. It means you can spend up to 30 days each year in each of their Turkish marinas at no extra cost. If you opted for one of their Turkish marinas as your base you could get a residence permit so no 90/180 issues and you could still avail of 30 days free in Lesvos.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
It IS a rolling 90 in 180 days (or 180 in 360 for EU visitors to the UK, again rolling) and the rules ARE currently being enforced at times (but not universally for UK citizen over stayers as yet). The latter is unfortunately likely to change when ETIAS is up and running later this year.

Thanks for that, it isn't something I follow in any detail regarding EU visitors to UK. The 90 days in 180 days is obviously well known for UK visitors to the EU and I always find it hard to believe people don't understand it. Sorry if you thought I was talking about it the other way around, I probably didn't make it clear enough.

I was only talking about EU visitors to the UK and relying on something I read ages ago. I had another look for the old article which said There is no 180 day a year rule for visitors to the UK - Free Movement. I had forgotten it was published so long ago and pre-2021, doesn't time fly.

I remember looking through the UK Government rules for visitors to the UK at the time and couldn't find a reference to the 180 day limit. However, the documentation was updated in the Immigration Rules and I haven't checked it yet. I assume it must be in there somewhere now and will have a look. It would help if you could point me to the section with the 180 day limit if you've spotted it already, thanks. I remember the old documents being very confusing with lots of references to 180 days and rolling periods but nothing actually seemed to state categorically that you couldn't stay 180 days, leave for several months and return on another trip. I hope the new documents are clearer.

Last edited:

syvictoria

Visit site
I remember the old documents being very confusing with lots of references to 180 days and rolling periods but nothing actually seemed to state categorically that you couldn't stay 180 days, leave for several months and return on another trip. I hope the new documents are clearer.

(Edited as I clearly haven't engaged my brain yet this morning!) You are of course quite correct in that the 180/360 for visitors to the UK isn't a rolling one. Sorry.

Last edited: