Staying in EU 90 days

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
(Edited as I clearly haven't engaged my brain yet this morning!) You are of course quite correct in that the 180/360 for visitors to the UK isn't a rolling one. Sorry.
No problem, these thing change and I wasn't certain if my information was still correct.

It's often difficult to get a definitive answer. I know that I need to register in Greece after 90 days to let them know I'm an EU citizen staying for longer than 90 days. However, I haven't seen any rule stating that I can't just pop over to Italy for a day or two and return with the clock set to 90 days again. A bit like the VAT situation for a boat. UK citizens have a rolling 180 day window but I've not seen a similar thing for EU citizens.

Freedom of movement is a basic right for EU citizens and family and most of the rules about staying longer than 90 days seem to assume you are moving permanently. It is less clear when you start popping in and out of countries on a regular basis. The requirements are aimed at proving you won't be a burden or a threat. Staying for 95 days seems to involve the same documentation as remaining for 2 years. e.g. I think Greece requires 1 year medical cover, even though leaving in a few month. That could just be a local interpretation as they also insist I must buy it in Greece and Government docs. just mention the cover needed.

Last edited:

syvictoria

Visit site
No problem, these thing change and I wasn't certain if my information was still correct.

It's often difficult to get a definitive answer. I know that I need to register in Greece after 90 days to let them know I'm an EU citizen staying for longer than 90 days. However, I haven't seen any rule stating that I can't just pop over to Italy for a day or two and return with the clock set to 90 days again. A bit like the VAT situation for a boat. UK citizens have a rolling 180 day window but I've not seen a similar thing for EU citizens.

Freedom of movement is a basic right for EU citizens and family and most of the rules about staying longer than 90 days seem to assume you are moving permanently. It is less clear when you start popping in and out of countries on a regular basis. The requirements are aimed at proving you won't be a burden or a threat. Staying for 95 days seems to involve the same documentation as remaining for 2 years. e.g. I think Greece requires 1 year medical cover, even though leaving in a few month. That could just be a local interpretation as they also insist I must buy it in Greece and Government docs. just mention the cover needed.

The 90 day clock for EU residents is related to residency, not Schengen visas. The two are entirely separate, and the fact that both are 90 days is purely coincidental. The former is reset by exiting one state; the latter is rolling and applies to the entire Schengen area.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
The 90 day clock for EU residents is related to residency, not Schengen visas. The two are entirely separate, and the fact that both are 90 days is purely coincidental. The former is reset by exiting one state; the latter is rolling and applies to the entire Schengen area.
Yes, that's what I assume. It means that I could get around the hassle of registering in Vonitsa and then registering my wife in Messolonghi (handled by different departments). No documentation at all in theory and my 180 days would be 2 lots, both under 90 days.

However, I haven't found a specific document stating that it is the case and not worth the risk or hassle. It's easier to just complete the Greek formalities as if I'm moving to Greece permanently. I'm currently working through the 178 page document outlining the latest immigrations rules (January, 2022 edition).

syvictoria

Visit site
Yes, that's what I assume. It means that I could get around the hassle of registering in Vonitsa and then registering my wife in Messolonghi (handled by different departments). No documentation at all in theory and my 180 days would be 2 lots, both under 90 days.

However, I haven't found a specific document stating that it is the case and not worth the risk or hassle. It's easier to just complete the Greek formalities as if I'm moving to Greece permanently. I'm currently working through the 178 page document outlining the latest immigrations rules (January, 2022 edition).

You could send an enquiry to Europe Direct - Answering your questions . They provided me with an extremely informative response, including links to all relevant regulations.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
You could send an enquiry to Europe Direct - Answering your questions . They provided me with an extremely informative response, including links to all relevant regulations.
Thanks for that, it's of theoretical interest but I will include it with a couple of other more important questions. The Greek Consulate in London and government agencies in Greece are adept at replying in a manner that doesn't actually answer your query. I suspect the Consulate expected to fob me off with a brand new 178 page document. They were probably surprised when I replied with specific questions and pointed out the odd minor error in their document. I don't think they expected me to read it. :D