Standard Horizon CP 300i help

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
My trusty SH 300i has decided to pack-up decently. When is plugged in, there is nothing on the screen or sound; its totally dead. My knowledge in electronics is zero, however, I open it up to see whether there is something obvious that has gone wrong. Everything looks ok, but there is a small button battery (MS621F) which when tested it reads 0.2 volts.
I done a google search and this battery is used in Seiko watches and other electronics instruments that have an internal clock.; its a 3 volt rechargeable battery. To buy a new battery costs very little, however, would this battery cause the chartplotter to be unable to turn on? Are there any other batteries or anything else that I could check?

CLB

Visit site
Battery normally is only for flash? memory. Basically it remembers roughly where it was when switched off so that it can find itself quicker agin when turned on. I can't imagine it would stop it working completely, but as a cheap component it is probably worth changing it, just in case.

Aeolus

Visit site
AFAIK the battery only helps the plotter retain its last location which speeds up the process of finding itself when it is powered on. That battery being flat shouldn't stop the plotter starting. You need to check (apols if stating the obvious) whether there is power getting to the plotter - a failure or deterioration in the power supply could be the problem. If the power supply is OK, then it is probable that the unit is faulty.

Leighb

Visit site
When my 300i failed to start a few times, it was always down to poor connection at the multi pin plug on the back. Careful cleaning sorted it out. You may have checked this already but minor amounts of verdigris or other muck can affect the contacts.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
I replaced the cable and the chartplotter now works; afretall, the fault was the cable/multi pin. Thank you for the replies. It is surprising to see that this SH 330i chartplotter which is more than 13 years old has better clarity on screen and better resolution than the ONWA chartplotter/AIS which bought a few months ago. Also the ONWA gets condensation inside