SSR Numbers

pmorris

Visit site
My boat has an Small Ships Register No. on it, but when I bought the boat the current owners didn't have any information on it.
Is the a web site or somewhere you can find out about the number and would it be worth registering, or a waste of time.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Althorne

Visit site
The Small Ships Register is in Cardiff and a search on the web will get you there easily. There is a registration form to download and info that gives all in details you need. It's a good idea to register particularly if you are likely to go foreign as it's needed as one means of proof of ownership. I think it still costs a tenner every few years but the site will tell you more. You may be able to use the ssr number already on the boat?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Being SSR (Part III) registred is NOT proof of ownership - even says so on the certificate. If you want registration to serve as proof of ownership, you need to register Part I (more expensive).

<hr width=100% size=1>Experience is a good teacher, but she sends in terrific bills.

VicMallows

Visit site
Definately register on SSR if you intend to go abroad ... especially to France, where it is obligatory (unless you are registered under the formal Part1 system, which I assume not). SSR registration is personal and non-transferable. I don't know if you can keep the same number; you certainly can if it simply lapses but with same owner. As previously stated, it doesn't prove anything except that the applicant is entitled to it (British citizen etc). It does keep the French happy.

Vic

<hr width=100% size=1>

Prospero

Visit site
Having just purchased my boat I was under the impression that the SSR number changed with a new owner. I received my registration today and was very surprised when I looked to see what new transfers I would have to buy and noteiced that it was the same number. Is this a victory for commonsense?
Incidentally the criticism of the MCA and the RCA is pretty unjustified having gone through the changes of ownership and registration of boat, radio and epirb in the last few weeks they have proved to be remarkably efficient, everything has come back within two weeks which is what they set as a target. Would that all Government departments worked like that!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Birdseye

Visit site
Some continental marinas look at the SSR to find boat size for marina fees. But the SSR is a piece of paper devised purely for paper loving continental bureaucrats, so you can put on the form whatever length you feel like. If your boat actually measures 10m why not put down 9m? All's fair in love and marina fees!

<hr width=100% size=1>

VicMallows

Visit site
In fact, just follow the SSR measuring instructions to the letter. Mine reduces from the manufacturers 8.67m to 8.22m. This intern puts the area below 25sqm which is relevant in the canals. The only thing it may hurt is your pride. Unfortunately doesn't seem to work in the UK.....It's that over-optimistic '29' emblazoned on the side.

Vic

<hr width=100% size=1>