Spitway - Pyefleet to Burnham

englishrobs

Visit site
Going to be crossing the Spitway for the first time this weekend. Any advice for a first timer? We plan to leave Pyefleet just after low tide, heading for Burnham.

johnalison

Visit site
There should be plenty of water by the time you get there, but I imagine the Forum creepie-crawlies will tell you to go via the Ray.

Ali-alshira

Visit site
We usually time it to get to the Spitway at or near LW, so you get favourable tide in both rivers. It's more important to get the flood in the Crouch, though, because it's a longer slog if you have to stem the tide, so your timing should be fine. The Spitway channel is very wide and flat, so straying off the line is not a problem - see tillergirl's chartlet to confirm that. Don't worry about it, it's an easy one!

Daydream believer

Visit site
Earlier this year i crossed through the Spitway an hour before LW with 1.800 draft and it went down to just 300 mm below the keel. Southern end. I was dead on the line of the buoys.I am confident that my sounder was accurate because i touched off Sales point when not concentrating and just drifting about to waste time to get into Bradwell. Sounder read correctly on the shingle. It was me that was not watching it

Last edited:

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Earlier this year i crossed through the Spitway an hour before LW with 1.800 draft and it went down to just 300 mm below the keel. Southern end. I was dead on the line of the buoys.I am confident that my sounder was accurate because i touched off Sales point when not concentrating and just drifting about to waste time to get into Bradwell. Sounder read correctly on the shingle. It was me that was not watching it

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the Buoys DO NOT show the best water, see Roger's chartlet on CTTE (Linked in previous post...)