Spectacles in the cockpit

Rikds

Visit site
How do you store yours for easy quick access? I don't have to wear them all the time but find them handy for the chart plotter. Got to be some smart ideas out there somewhere!!

Rikds

Visit site
Both good ideas! Tiller steering so nothing convenient there. The chart plotter is mounted by the instruments above the sliding hatch. Contact lenses not an option for all sorts of reasons.
Hanging them around my neck results in all sorts of chaos but sort of works!

guernseyman

Visit site
How do you store yours for easy quick access? I don't have to wear them all the time but find them handy for the chart plotter. Got to be some smart ideas out there somewhere!!
My spectacles and the spare pair both have lanyards for hanging round my neck, where they normally are when in the cockpit. If I venture out of the cockpit they will be placed on the passage plan adjacent to the compass or on the other side of the companionway.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Cheap readers. If you loose them now and then, who cares. I get most of them from the pound shop. Really.

You can get bifocal sunglass cheap; they are sold as safety glasses. About 8-10 pounds. try Amazon if the hardware store dos not have ones you like.

doug748

Visit site
As I only use them to peer closely at the plotter, I hook one arm, of a dedicated pair, to the trunnion mount and they live there permanently till needed.
Where it gets tricky is swapping between them, binoculars and sun glasses.

Thistle

Visit site
Contact lenses not an option for all sorts of reasons.
Obviously I know nothing about your reasons for rejecting contact lenses but I wonder if you/your optician have considered the possibility of a contact lens in just one eye? Perhaps only for use when sailing?

johnalison

Visit site
I don't often need spectacles in the cockpit unless I am using the iPad as a repeater but if I haven't got a pocket I put them, or sunglasses, around one of the halyard winches under the sprayhood. Like most of my systems this is hopelessly inelegant but it generally works and I haven't lost any doing it. Yet.

Refueler

Visit site
I've had enough of it and starting to investigate Lazer surgery, one eye for long, one for short, anyone else done this?

I'm 67yrs old and the Opthalmic Surgeon who is treating me for Glaucoma and a Cataract advises that for older people such as I - better is to have Ocular Implant ... I can have variable so no need for any glasses - or set focal to give normal vision and then only need for reading.

I cannot use Contacts as my eyes water too much ...

I know two guys who have differing contacts .... one eye for normal ... other eye for reading. They are 30 day contacts.

Thistle

Visit site
I know two guys who have differing contacts .... one eye for normal ... other eye for reading. They are 30 day contacts.

I've had contacts like this for years and have found them a great solution to the problem. After an opthalmic surgeon growled at me for using monthly contacts, which he blamed for many of the cases of eye infections he sees, I was moved onto 14 day lenses. (Or, effectively, 12 day lenses because the opthalmologist wants me to have one day per week without lenses.)

jamie N

Visit site
I've been a serial 'loser of lenses' over my lifetime, and had tried pretty much every type of restraint, frame and holder for spectacles, with the only feature of note being the expense involved in losing the glasses.
This was normal UNTIL I went to Helgoland, where having found that I'd already lost one of my pairs of glasses, having only travelled by car to Cuxhaven and a ferry to Helgoland, so I went to an optician there and explained the problem. The bloke attending to me simply said, "Neck hanging spectacles", (in RP English by the way), "you'll never have the problem again", and sure enough I've not.
Mine aren't the brand shown, but I'd happily buy those shown as they address the issue. I've had mine since 2018; lots of sailing, working offshore and general stuffing about doing stupid things, and they've not ever gotten in the way, or fallen off. 👓(y)