Spanish Marina for Winter Live aboard narrow search

Goodroaming

Visit site
Hi,
We are looking for a winter live aboard marina. I know there have been good posts in the past we just have a few specific criteria and need help narrowing things down.
Upper south to north med coast
Priorities
1) Winter liveaboard community
2) Sheltered from wind and swell
3) Nice spanish town or city (NOT a tourist mecca)
4) Within a 45-1hr drive to an airport
5) Wifi mandatory

CJ13

Visit site
Cartagena ticks all your boxes. We wintered aboard there 2011-12 brilliant town and live aboard community. 45min from Murcia airport or a bit longer to Alicante. Great walking in the area if you like that sort of thing.

Goodroaming

Visit site
Thanks JFowler. We were just thinking of it! It looks like a lovely town which is key for us. Were there things you didnt like there?

CJ13

Visit site
Not really. We didn’t get any southerly winds, but I’m told it can be a bit roly if they do come. The berths stern to on the west side of the marina are the most sheltered. If you prefer a finger pontoon the the berths on the eastern side are for you. We called in September and sorted things out, then went on to the Balearics for a month.

Goodroaming

Visit site
Thanks! I think I’d prefer less roly than a finger pontoon. Are there other marina’s that would be a 2nd or 3rd choice if we dont get in there?

CJ13

Visit site
We narrowed down our choice to Almerimar & Cartagena.
We spent 4 or 5 nights in Almerimar and decided it wasn’t for us. Very sheltered and a good community, but totally isolated within a high rise tourist development- nearest proper town/village many miles away.
If you’re looking at the Algarve, Lagos has a good reputation, and ticks most of your boxes. The advantage of Cartagena is it’s been a major Naval Port for centuries, with all the interest and culture that brings.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Has J Fowler said Cartagena do tick most boxes but it's got very expensive we ask for a price and the price it's self was ok but then there was some thing like €700 in taxes and extra ,
If your coming from say a UK marina you probably won't think it's that bad .

Almarimer we like yes no big town near by but busses run offen , around the marina you got everything you need , a big supermarket, chandler's, bar and restaurant , you can haulout and work on your boat and stay on board normally a good winter community.
If you looking for a winter community they probably your best bet .
Lagos is expensive , again we asked a price , we not been there for well over 12 years but then it was like little England , buy what friends have said who winter there last winter it's not changed , if that what you looking for , then it's another option ,

nortada

Visit site
Has J Fowler said Cartagena do tick most boxes but it's got very expensive we ask for a price and the price it's self was ok but then there was some thing like €700 in taxes and extra ,

Almarimer we like yes no big town near by but busses run offen , around the marina you got everything you need , a big supermarket, chandler's, bar and restaurant , you can haulout and work on your boat and stay on board normally a good winter community.
Lagos is expensive , again we asked a price , we not been there for well over 12 years but then it was like little England , buy what friends have said who winter there last winter it's not changed , if that what you looking for , then it's another option ,

Lagos is still the same but it is in Portugal.

Prices are not that much different to the rest of the Algarve,

Goodroaming

Visit site
Probably too far north for the OP, but do people over-winter in San Carles de Rapita nowadays? It's almost ten years since we were there, but a lovely town and marina, with decent connections to Barcelona airport.
Thanks! We would go further north for a good town! Even as a possibility to stay shorter term in cruising up the coast. Would be curious to hear if it has a live aboard community in the winter.

Goodroaming

Visit site

Hmm that’s an interesting possibility. I think personally I would miss a town to wander around.

Goodroaming

Visit site
We narrowed down our choice to Almerimar & Cartagena.
We spent 4 or 5 nights in Almerimar and decided it wasn’t for us. Very sheltered and a good community, but totally isolated within a high rise tourist development- nearest proper town/village many miles away.
If you’re looking at the Algarve, Lagos has a good reputation, and ticks most of your boxes. The advantage of Cartagena is it’s been a major Naval Port for centuries, with all the interest and culture that brings.
I think that town would be really interesting for us and keep us walking and exploring through the winter. Thanks

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Thanks! We would go further north for a good town! Even as a possibility to stay shorter term in cruising up the coast. Would be curious to hear if it has a live aboard community in the winter.

Sorry, I can't help with that; where the fleet over-winters seems to change every other year and the last time we were in Sant Carles was 2012.

capnsensible

Visit site
It's only a five day sail from the Straits down to the Canaries. Eight islands to explore and sailing possible three or four days out of the average seven winter ones.

Just sayin.......?

Goodroaming

Visit site
It's only a five day sail from the Straits down to the Canaries. Eight islands to explore and sailing possible three or four days out of the average seven winter ones.

Just sayin.......?
Since we are noobies I think we will have to wait 3-4 more seasons…..The canaries look lovely- although somewhat touristy? Are you staying there?

capnsensible

Visit site
Since we are noobies I think we will have to wait 3-4 more seasons…..The canaries look lovely- although somewhat touristy? Are you staying there?
Yeah. Live in Lanza now. Have sailed up and down from med quite a few times though. ?

Visited all the other islands by yacht too.