Spanish Marina for Winter Live aboard narrow search

RobbieW

Visit site
Must admit I have no knowledge of this Schengen Zone Visa. I thought individual countries control their own boarders and issue visas and residency accordingly.
This is simply the common 90/180 Schengen visa for 3rd countries, which UK citizens are currently exempt from getting. When ETIAS is implemented, think ESTA in the US, UK citizens will currently need one of those to enter Schengen. Your quite right that individual countries can offer longer stays if they wish, but those often come with strings attached

nortada

Visit site
This is simply the common 90/180 Schengen visa for 3rd countries, which UK citizens are currently exempt from getting. When ETIAS is implemented, think ESTA in the US, UK citizens will currently need one of those to enter Schengen. Your quite right that individual countries can offer longer stays if they wish, but those often come with strings attached
Who issues this common 90/180 Schengen visa for 3rd countries❓Brussels or individual EU countries and does it authorise movement across national borders❓Ie external agencies authorising access to sovereign countries.

Please do not bring the US ESTA into a discussion that is already rather complicated.

As you say, as UK travellers do not require visas to travel in the EU it is rather irrelevant. Nevertheless, I would like to see links to official sites where this all laid down.??

From the OPs position, I think that as the 90/180 is just a people thing so possibly plan on a 3 month push across the EU before leaving the boat and exiting the EU for the next 90 days before returning to continue the adventure. Once in the Med, depending on the sea keeping qualities of the vessel, North Africa could offer alternative possibilities.

Should add, as a resident in Portugal with up to 90 days in 180 in other EU countries, mine is of rather academic interest but the debate is much broader than just me and those like me.

Last edited:

capnsensible

Visit site
Just keep on going downwind - You'll get back to Europe eventually, only via the Galapagos :cool:
Now that's a place with a lot of paperwork and officials. Plus a diver who checks underneath your boat. And a guy who goes through your fresh food for banned stuff. And takes ashore what's been confiscated. ?

Goodroaming

Visit site
Must admit I have no knowledge of this Schengen Zone Visa. I thought individual countries control their own boarders and issue visas and residency accordingly.

As I understand it, at present, unless you are an EU citizen or resident in an EU country, then in EU eyes, the 90/180 rule is absolute. Of course, countries control their own boarders so there may be some wriggle room, depending on the country. Can’t see how any visa issued by the EU fits into this. Any links available❓

The post above then drifts into boat registration and then sailing qualifications.

Grouping these very separate subject together nearly always leads to confusion.

Bring VAT liability into the mix and it gets even more interesting.

As I understand it the OP wants to cross Europe and spend some time in the Med in power cruiser. They are not residents in an EU country and the boat will remain British registered so they will be able to continue operate with an RYA ICC but may need a cevini.

Basic rule - keep it all as simple and straight forward as possible and whilst adhering to the law, don’t rush around shouting, “Look at me.”

In many countries officials would rather not know what the letter of the law is but if asked they will give their opinion and you may have just burnt your boats.

Finally, my observations are based on time mainly spent in Portugal, which as we all know is not in the Med.
Lol about the “look at me!” That would not be our style even when legit ?We are CDN and buying in europe to save all the well noted problems you mentioned with a Brit boat. Phew! We will go through whatever registration and training for that,and ship the boat if we need, to to hunker down in Spain for the winter sorting out our boat etc. How I understand the legal path is that a visa with a residency like the Spanish non lucrative visa would require us to be in Spain 6 months but then give us access to the rest of Europe for the other 6 months so we would not have to do the 3 month hop. I think! Because I have yet to hear from anyone who has done it this way. ??‍♀️
We would like to initially liveaboard (lets see how that goes! ?) and cruise the coast and canals (again, we’ll see). The official link for the Schengen visa is pretty clear and so we think its not for us. Schengen Visa - Comprehensive information about Europe Visa
There is alot to learn so we appreciate the members weighing in!

Goodroaming

Visit site
Some countries have “bilateral agreements” on the books to offer an extra 3 months to some countries but what we are learning is that many are not inclined to agree to them any more. I have yet to hear of a single person who got an extension.

billskip

Visit site
As you say, as UK travellers do not require visas to travel in the EU it is rather irrelevant. Nevertheless, I would like to see links to official sites where this all laid down.??
[/QUOTE
I think it's not rather irrelevant
they will when ETIAS is implemented

nortada

Visit site
Lol about the “look at me!” That would not be our style even when legit ?We are CDN and buying in europe to save all the well noted problems you mentioned with a Brit boat. Phew! We will go through whatever registration and training for that,and ship the boat if we need, to to hunker down in Spain for the winter sorting out our boat etc. How I understand the legal path is that a visa with a residency like the Spanish non lucrative visa would require us to be in Spain 6 months but then give us access to the rest of Europe for the other 6 months so we would not have to do the 3 month hop. I think! Because I have yet to hear from anyone who has done it this way. ??‍♀️
We would like to initially liveaboard (lets see how that goes! ?) and cruise the coast and canals (again, we’ll see). The official link for the Schengen visa is pretty clear and so we think its not for us. Schengen Visa - Comprehensive information about Europe Visa
There is alot to learn so we appreciate the members weighing in!

Thanks for the link; I will read myself in. As you say the key is sharing experiences and trying to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Best of luck with your adventure.

billskip

Visit site
Thanks for the link; I will read myself in.
The EU has confirmed that British citizens will be eligible for ETIAS when it is launched at the end of 2022. This means that UK nationals will not need a visa for short stays in Europe after Brexit but an ETIAS visa waiver will be required.

nortada

Visit site

So once ETIAS is implemented, British will require visas❓News to me as I thought Brexit the non-visa agreement was permanent❓

What’s the latest estimate on the implementation of ETIAS❓

Last edited:

billskip

Visit site
ETIAS
So once ETIAS is implemented, British will require visas❓News to me as I thought Brexit the non-visa agreement was permanent❓
ETIAS is a visa waiver,but will need to be applied for.
Basically it's a vetting system to try and keep undesirables out.
If you apply and it is granted it will be valid for 3 yrs or till end of current passport.
Brits will need one but will not need any other visa for the 90 day period, ( my guess as long as you like providing you dont rock the boat.

billskip

Visit site
Any British citizen that wishes to enter Europe for over 90 days, or for other purposes than those allowed under the ETIAS program will need to apply for a Schengen visa.

AndersG

Visit site
Any British citizen that wishes to enter Europe for over 90 days, or for other purposes than those allowed under the ETIAS program will need to apply for a Schengen visa.
The're are no long stay Schengen visa. Any country in Schengen can issue a long stay national visa but you are still restricted to 90/180 in all other Schengen countries

kashurst

Visit site
ETIAS

ETIAS is a visa waiver,but will need to be applied for.
Basically it's a vetting system to try and keep undesirables out.
If you apply and it is granted it will be valid for 3 yrs or till end of current passport.
Brits will need one but will not need any other visa for the 90 day period, ( my guess as long as you like providing you dont rock the boat.
The Police in Spain are now rounding up and deporting people without the correct visas/documents. You get 15 days notice to go.
You can get a long term visas to stay in an EU country - however once you step outside that specific country your are subject as a British citizen to the Schengen 90 day rule. (thanks b@ris and all the bre@it voters you tw@ts)

nortada

Visit site
The Police in Spain are now rounding up and deporting people without the correct visas/documents. You get 15 days notice to go.

We are not Spanish residents but we have property in Spain. Not that we will abuse the 90/180 day rule but please provide a link on this. Ta

Last edited:

billskip

Visit site
You can get a long term visas to stay in an EU country - however once you step outside that specific country your are subject as a British citizen to the Schengen 90 day rule. (thanks b@ris and all the bre@it voters you tw@ts)
I dont know of anyone being rounded up and deported

billskip

Visit site
That will also be the French, Dutch or anyone who doesn't have correct papers/or has not registered.
You should be aware anyone who stays more than 90 days has to register.

nortada

Visit site
That will also be the French, Dutch or anyone who doesn't have correct papers/or has not registered.
You should be aware anyone who stays more than 90 days has to register.

Having to register if you intend to be in an EU country for more than 90 days is not new.

Rounding up and deportation of those who fail to comply would be new.

Remember, not just Brits but all EU visitors are required to comply with this regulation - few do.

Failing to comply can carry significant financial penalties but, again, I have never met or heard of anybody who has been fined.

Goodroaming

Visit site
And not just financial penalties- in the visa application I believe it states you cannot apply if you have a Schengen violation. With Covid and the new digital system, I think they will enforcing more. Even if they dont want to- other EU countries will put pressure on them- I see you Netherlands!