Spanish Marina for Winter Live aboard narrow search

billskip

Visit site
All the more reason to get our visa!
Theres a lot of talk on this visa /90/180 situation, but as yet I have not heard one incident involving complications in the EU.
At the moment, as I see it, you can come to Europe for as long as you like so long as you dont stay in the same country for more than 90 days, in 2023 this will be different because the new schengen visa, which I think will say you can only be in schengen zone for 90/180.
In Spain even other EU's, ie. Italian, Dutch or German can only stay legally for 90 days without making their presence known

nortada

Visit site
Theres a lot of talk on this visa /90/180 situation, but as yet I have not heard one incident involving complications in the EU.
At the moment, as I see it, you can come to Europe for as long as you like so long as you dont stay in the same country for more than 90 days, in 2023 this will be different because the new schengen visa, which I think will say you can only be in schengen zone for 90/180.
In Spain even other EU's, ie. Italian, Dutch or German can only stay legally for 90 days without making their presence known

Outside the UK legality and reality are not always the same thing.?

I have yet to meet an EU citizen who has tried to registered a stay of longer than 90 days in an EU state - has anybody❓

billskip

Visit site
Outside the UK legality and reality are not always the same thing.

I have yet to mart an EU citizen who has tried to registered a stay of longer than 90 days in an EU state - has anybody❓
Like all things, people have been illegal for years and accepted it as the norm, it's no different now, but of course it will be more difficult with the schengen zone visa,that will have to be applied for before travel, whereas no visa is required for EU by Brits at moment so things really are the same. 2023 will be when complications may set in.

nortada

Visit site
Like all things, people have been illegal for years and accepted it as the norm, it's no different now, but of course it will be more difficult with the schengen zone visa,that will have to be applied for before travel, whereas no visa is required for EU by Brits at moment so things really are the same. 2023 will be when complications may set in.

For a visitor may be, but as there are no frontiers within the Schengen Zone, the Schengen Information System Database will have no impact on EC citizens and residents.

It will be interesting to hear if any over-stayers are apprehended, punished and banned from re-entry. Nothing reported in the first 9 months, when you could have thought the authorities would have been at their keenest.

An aside, apart from Portugal has any other EU state still yet to introduce the EU Biometric Residency Permit for UK residence in the EU❓

ps Side from pure speculation, who is discussing the 90/180 rule❓

Sorry for any thread drift but all of this could be significant.☺️

Last edited:

RobbieW

Visit site
Sorry, I can't help with that; where the fleet over-winters seems to change every other year and the last time we were in Sant Carles was 2012.
If you were there 12/13 we must have overlapped :) My experience of Sant Carles in 12/13 and again in 16/17 is that there wasnt a large liveaboard community but there is a large 'commuting' community as travel between UK and the marina is easy by air and road. The town has a large fishing community, biggest in Med Spain I believe, so its open in winter as well as summer. Fairly well served for chandlery and engineering services. Doesnt have the history of Cartagena though

Goodroaming

Visit site
For a visitor may be, but as there are no frontiers within the Schengen Zone, the Schengen Information System Database will have no impact on EC citizens and residents.

It will be interesting to hear if any over-stayers are apprehended, punished and banned from re-entry. Nothing reported in the first 9 months, when you could have thought the authorities would have been at their keenest.

An aside, apart from Portugal has any other EU state still yet to introduce the EU Biometric Residency Permit for UK residence in the EU❓

ps Side from pure speculation, who is discussing the 90/180 rule❓

Sorry for any thread drift but all of this could be significant.☺
I dont mind the thread drift. The topic is top of mind for us. In 2023 I think with the SISD there will be better tracking and potentially more vigilance and conseq. So with any EC resident visa, we would be exempt.
We are CNDS who are retiring and would prefer not to have to leave Europe every 90 days as that really messes up our Med/Canals boating season ;) We have looked exhaustively into the French long term visa which has a strict address requirement. The Spanish non-lucrative visa doesnt seem as strict on the address. It sure would be nice to come across someone with it! We arent considering other places (Greece/Malta/Portugal) at this time because we are new to the Med and will have alot to learn on a new motor boat (I used to sail) so want to stick to the inner coast and the canals for a few seasons. So much to learn!None of this (for us) happens unless we get a visa.

Goodroaming

Visit site
If you were there 12/13 we must have overlapped :) My experience of Sant Carles in 12/13 and again in 16/17 is that there wasnt a large liveaboard community but there is a large 'commuting' community as travel between UK and the marina is easy by air and road. The town has a large fishing community, biggest in Med Spain I believe, so its open in winter as well as summer. Fairly well served for chandlery and engineering services. Doesnt have the history of Cartagena though
That’s helpful thanks!

Goodroaming

Visit site
Those lucky earlier boaters who could fly under the radar! The boat will be our home so we cant afford the complications or stress of not being legit. Also with the new digital schengen visa, the data will create automatic flags. So needing that visa!

billskip

Visit site
Those lucky earlier boaters who could fly under the radar! The boat will be our home so we cant afford the complications or stress of not being legit. Also with the new digital schengen visa, the data will create automatic flags. So needing that visa!
Yes this schengen zone visa is going to be more enforceable.
At moment any country seems ok if you dont exceed your 90 days and go elsewhere....
Your boat if reg in uk is I believe ok for 18 months, but if you take up residence..eg Spain ... you will have to get a Spanish ticket to skipper it if over 5 mtrs.

It has been uttered hereabouts that one should buy an EU yacht,what is not made clear is the ticket the EU say you need to skipper it.

You can if English, as you know go up to 24 mtr unlicensed, but in Spain its 5 mtr.

nortada

Visit site
Yes this schengen zone visa is going to be more enforceable.
At moment any country seems ok if you dont exceed your 90 days and go elsewhere....
Your boat if reg in uk is I believe ok for 18 months, but if you take up residence..eg Spain ... you will have to get a Spanish ticket to skipper it if over 5 mtrs.

It has been uttered hereabouts that one should buy an EU yacht,what is not made clear is the ticket the EU say you need to skipper it.

You can if English, as you know go up to 24 mtr unlicensed, but in Spain its 5 mtr.

Must admit I have no knowledge of this Schengen Zone Visa. I thought individual countries control their own boarders and issue visas and residency accordingly.

As I understand it, at present, unless you are an EU citizen or resident in an EU country, then in EU eyes, the 90/180 rule is absolute. Of course, countries control their own boarders so there may be some wriggle room, depending on the country. Can’t see how any visa issued by the EU fits into this. Any links available❓

The post above then drifts into boat registration and then sailing qualifications.

Grouping these very separate subject together nearly always leads to confusion.

Bring VAT liability into the mix and it gets even more interesting.

As I understand it the OP wants to cross Europe and spend some time in the Med in power cruiser. They are not residents in an EU country and the boat will remain British registered so they will be able to continue operate with an RYA ICC but may need a cevini.

Basic rule - keep it all as simple and straight forward as possible and whilst adhering to the law, don’t rush around shouting, “Look at me.”

In many countries officials would rather not know what the letter of the law is but if asked they will give their opinion and you may have just burnt your boats.

Finally, my observations are based on time mainly spent in Portugal, which as we all know is not in the Med.

Last edited: