Spade anchors

Close hauled

Visit site
I'v been reading about how good these Spade anchors are supposed to be. Having used a Delta on a charter boat I began to think that maybe there are better alternatives to the trusty CQR.

Anyone got any experience or opinions about Spades?

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
I've been looking at the Spade also so will be interested in responses. I currently have a 35lb CQR and am in the process of fitting a new windlass. I'd like to upgrade the bower to 45lb and have been looking at Spade v CQR without yet reaching any conclusion.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Andrew_Bray

Visit site
I've had a 20kg Spade on my 43 footer for over two years, during which the boat has been at anchor for around 350 days. It has not dragged once and has set the first time on every occasion except once when it got bad weed wrapped around it. Not only that, it self stows very well. I use it with all chain, 10mm. I've used it in hard sand, soft sand and mud and the only problem has sometimes been in persuading it to break out.

<hr width=100% size=1>

warrior40

Visit site
CQR-trusty ?? is this a joke??!
I have always used a Bruce whilst long term cruising, never fails, swapped because early experiences with the CQR were very poor. Every time I dive or snorkel by other boats it never ceases to amaze me the way all the CQR does is lay there on its side, useless and only holding the boat by the weight of it.
If I were willing to fork out, a spade would be my first choice for a new anchor. A friend on another boat who has sailed many miles in our company in the Pacific has one and we are all very impressed with it, it never fails to dig in, is light and comes apart for stowing...if the stainless nuts don't seize up.....
Happy sailin'

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
Thanks for the feedback Andrew. Looks like a good endorsement. I already have 10mm chain but feel that 35lb is a little light for my boat (37ft).

<hr width=100% size=1>

JerryHawkins

Visit site
I have a spade

I got a 15Kg spade for my boat last year. My original was a 25lb CQR (now my spare). I don't anchor a great deal, but the spade has never dragged whereas the CQR did once. My boat is a 4.5T Fisher 25.

Cheers,

Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

timevans2000

Visit site
I have the aluminium version of the spade on a 37 ft cat. I use about 45 ft of chain and the rest is anchorplait. I only fitted it last year and results would suggest it is at least as good as the CQR it replaced.
If I had of bought the steel version it would have been 20kg. This is exactly the same size but wieghs 9kg. it replaces a 35 lbs CQR.

Its self stowing property is brilliant and it seems to dig in very well. I have only had problems in thick kelp.

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
I have to say that I have never dragged our CQR, and we anchor fairly frequently (even in 85m water last year...).

Having said that I might well be tempted by a spade next time around - it is impressive. The only significant negative is the cost (close to £1000 in our case) which is more than double the cost of the equivalent CQR. I will almost certainly put one on the new race boat, due next year, as it seems that the holding power to weight ratio is as good as it gets with an alloy spade - if only they made aluminium chain to go with it!

<hr width=100% size=1>

madman

N/A
Visit site
First of all I'd like to say I was grossly offended by the title of this post which not only is racist but alliteratively offensive. But putting my predjudices aside, I can't see why you'd want alloy chain, surely the whole purpose is for the weight anyway, or am I missing something?

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Lightweight chain

I've been looking at plastic chain - it's very light, even for 8 and 10 mm, never rusts and comes in a variety of colours. Stows well and costs nearly nothing from our local stately home supplier.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
Re: Lightweight chain

Great idea, Airfix make a matching windlass which runs for 12 months on a pair of AAA batteries.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mickshep

Visit site

If we could get floating chain it'd soooooo much easier to get back aboard with my patented "useless for anything heavier" telescopic boat hook. (It came with the boat honest) Cheers, Mick.

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site

Exquisite!

If we used alternating 5m lengths in different colours it would save all that tedious marking of real chain that we have to go through periodically. They could of course be spliced together with either a hot knife, or Airfix glue - so much easier.

It should hold just as well as mooring lines made up with a tangle, rather than a hitch, that seem so much in vogue at many marinas these days.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Alternatively

With the constant increase in crime, most of us have access to considerable quantites of used "police crime scene - keep out"-type tape. That would make a colourful addition to any anchor locker and is (presumably) strong enough to prevent criminals gaining access to crime scenes.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Andrew_Bray

Visit site

...lightweight, floating scene of crime tape - brilliant. It would go soooo well with Des Sleightholme's famous water ballasted anchor

<hr width=100% size=1>

madman

N/A
Visit site
Why did you use a metal anchor in that amount of water, do'nt you have a sea anchor that you could use?

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
i think you are confused young man
a sea anchor is for anchoring to the sea
a metal anchor is for anchoring to the ground

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

qsiv

Visit site
Ahh! But it was nearly calm, and a good tide running. The objective was not to lose ground during the foul tide.

We did need to use a fair bit of string in order to reach the bottom, mind you!

<hr width=100% size=1>