Spade anchors

Close hauled

Visit site
Thank you gentlemen. I think a Spade anchor is definitely on the shopping list. I'll let you know how I get on.

<hr width=100% size=1>

hylas

Visit site
Hi, before saying any world.. I should remind all of you that I'm the designer of the Spade anchor..

As I've told in the Fortress thread, the french magazine "Voiles et Voiliers" just publish this month a very technical test of both steel and alu anchors.. with holding curves and submarine photos..

The Spade alu was by far the first..

But in the steel anchor range, the old CQR (16.5 kg) was still the first with 900 kg in sand and 650 kg in gravel.. but with a very negative comment: when dragging this CQR went up side down . as the shank is heavier than the blade.. and it didn't dig in again..

The Spade (steel 15 kg) did also 900 kg in sand and 300 kg in gravel, with the following comments: a constant holding: its reputation on sand is not "usurped" (?) and the holding curve shows that it is quasi impossible to break it out.. it drags slowly with keeping a excellent holding. The shape of its blade is unique and it digs in very easily.

To answer Warrior40 comments about the Bruce.. the comments about Bruce anchors are as follows:
The Bruce anchors have a well establish reputation on the other side of the Atlantic. How is it possible to endorse such an tool?? if the figures are "edyfing" (?) of weakness, to see it in video making its rodeo on the sea ground lead you in between fear and amusement. Fear as a large quantity of boats are equiped with this anchor.. amusement as a bloc of stone will have the same effect. In sand they are laying on their side and plough weakly with a maximum of 200 kg of holding. nearly no holding.. To put to flight.. (sorry for the bad translation..)

To answer QSIV about the only significant negative: the cost.. Spade is in the way of launching a new anchor.. at least as good as the Spade, but much cheaper.. the Océane.. see: www.oceane-anchor.com

<hr width=100% size=1>