Something has picked up my mooring!

fireball

Visit site
All very well but where does the OP put his boat in the meantime and how does he cover the extra costs. Whilst I agree some comments are OTT it is still the case that he is not being allowed to use a facility he has paid for, and needs.

Er - isn't this a club mooring - the "club"* would be the ones to deal with it, not the individual. First port of call would be the berthing master.

If the boat is on the mooring with the agreement of the club then the issue is between the mooring holder and the club as he now needs to use the mooring that he's allocated - probably just be allocated a temporary mooring in the meantime.
If not then the berthing master can arrange for a team to remove the hobie from the mooring and place it somewhere else - on the club hard if they have a suitable recovery trolley would be my preference - behind a locked gate.

*club - the club is usually a separate legal entity therefore the best way of bearing the responsibility of removing the vessel.

Lakesailor

Visit site
All very well but where does the OP put his boat in the meantime and how does he cover the extra costs. Whilst I agree some comments are OTT it is still the case that he is not being allowed to use a facility he has paid for, and needs.
His need is secondary. It's his mooring. If he wants to leave it empty until July, that doesn't make it available for anyone else who fancies a free mooring.

Er - isn't this a club mooring - the "club"* would be the ones to deal with it, not the individual. First port of call would be the berthing master.

If the boat is on the mooring with the agreement of the club then the issue is between the mooring holder and the club as he now needs to use the mooring that he's allocated - probably just be allocated a temporary mooring in the meantime.
If not then the berthing master can arrange for a team to remove the hobie from the mooring and place it somewhere else - on the club hard if they have a suitable recovery trolley would be my preference - behind a locked gate.

*club - the club is usually a separate legal entity therefore the best way of bearing the responsibility of removing the vessel.
I think you're on the money there. Pressure on the club.

Last edited:

aslabend

Visit site
If the thing is sampling water he's in for some strange results as Wicormarine were dredging their dinghy channel yesterday and today on the falling tide and the sea was like oxtail soup as I motored back.

KAL

Visit site
What about moving the thing off your mooring and anchoring it close by? Whoever put it there has been irresponsible at the very least, by not leaving some sort of identifying/contact detail.

I suppose the Ampair can't be the quietest thing to moor beside either...

rob2

Visit site
I would assume that the water tank is being used as a load for the windgen - pump it in and let it overflow. I agree that the club shuld remove it immediately and hold it until some minor compensation has been paid, otherwise the owners are likely to repeat the exercise, hoping to get lucky.

Rob.

Slowtack

Visit site
Experiment eh? Theoretical secnario: Assume that an unidentified sharp object accidentally severs the rope at next highest tide and the apparatus drifts ashore and is neaped. Discuss.

tokoloshe

Visit site
+1

prv

Visit site
I would assume that the water tank is being used as a load for the windgen - pump it in and let it overflow.

??

What would be the point of that?

I don't think the tank is full of water, I think it's just a convenient plastic box to hold whatever kit the thing needs to do its job.

Pete

Thistle

Visit site
All very well but where does the OP put his boat in the meantime?/QUOTE]

The thing on the mooring doesn't look as though it will put much strain on the mooring so why can't the OP just hang out a few fenders and raft up to it?

Might spoil whatever experiment might be going on? Ah well, lesson learnt!

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
All very well but where does the OP put his boat in the meantime?/QUOTE]

The thing on the mooring doesn't look as though it will put much strain on the mooring so why can't the OP just hang out a few fenders and raft up to it?

Might spoil whatever experiment might be going on? Ah well, lesson learnt!

......and what if those responsible for the cat turn up and release 'gerryraby's' boat on its merry way?

theoldsalt

Visit site
Two wrongs do not make a right.

Agreed the boat is moored "illegally" but the OP has no authority to move it. The authority in charge of moorings is the only person that can move the offending vessel. It would usually be the Harbour Master but since he seems to have decined to intervene in this instance I can only assume he does not have the authority. However the HM should know who does - so ask. Moorings are not usually a "free for all", someone must be in charge.

fireball

Visit site
It's a club mooring. The club have authority and responsibility for it. All this other bull**** suggestion is just that - bull****!

The moorings officer should be consulted and will decide on a suitable course of action depending on whether or not he authorised the hobos to be there. End of.. Ffs ppl, it's not difficult!

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
??

What would be the point of that?

I don't think the tank is full of water, I think it's just a convenient plastic box to hold whatever kit the thing needs to do its job.

Pete

If there is a pump on the Ampair then the current produced by the wind can be measured against a constant load to give wind speeds. Wind blows harder, pump goes faster. Pretty easy to record output against time. But the tank is pointless, the pump could simply pump the sea back into itself. But the tank would make a fine waterproof container for a recording computer & gsm based transceiver.

Could be some useful salvage kit on there really.

jac

Visit site
If there is a pump on the Ampair then the current produced by the wind can be measured against a constant load to give wind speeds. Wind blows harder, pump goes faster. Pretty easy to record output against time. But the tank is pointless, the pump could simply pump the sea back into itself. But the tank would make a fine waterproof container for a recording computer & gsm based transceiver.

Could be some useful salvage kit on there really.

Why couldn't that just have bought a cheap wind instrument from eBay if they wanted wind speed.

Might be worth being vaguely nice to the owner and finding out what the hell it is doing when he is tracked down!

Lakesailor

Visit site
OP has made a tactical error in

• Reporting it the the Harbourmaster and club
  • Posting about it on here

Just releasing it and denying all knowledge would have sorted the problem. What it genuinely comes adrift now? The finger of suspicion will point his way.

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
OP has made a tactical error in

• Reporting it the the Harbourmaster and club
  • Posting about it on here

Just releasing it and denying all knowledge would have sorted the problem. What it genuinely comes adrift now? The finger of suspicion will point his way.

Just releasing it would not be very popular with the owners of all the other boats moored down wind/tide of it.