Something has picked up my mooring!

Biggles Wader

Visit site
If it is the OPs gear what would happen if the mooring broke and the illegal cat was wrecked?Could the owner come out of the woodwork and sue the OP?

lw395

Visit site
Put it on eBay with all the other abandoned boats.
Most clubs have bylaws where anything not paying dues can be disposed of.
Use of mooring=acceptance of conditions.

winsbury

Visit site
If that is the case, I would suggest that you seek legal advice. Are you a member of the RYA, they have a legal dept who should at least have good marine knowledge. Failing that, do you have legal assistance via your insurance, possibly as an add on.

excellent suggestions - the RYA would be a good starting point, usually very helpful whether you are a member or not.

Mudisox

Visit site
Time was that it was considered OK and friendly to use a mooring if it was vacant, and didn't have a tender attached. One stayed onboard ready to move if the owner/user of the mooring returned, and if one went ashore, you either cleared it with the local boatman, or left your contact details on it. I find it difficult to believe that no details at all are on the whole structure , or perhaps they were insecurely attached in this recent bad weather.

Everyone seems to have warmed themselves up with righteous indignation about this thread; a search of mooring issue threads provides background reading.

Perhaps fenders out and put it alongside yourself, with a note on it to contact you when they return may be best. You may be surprised with an apology and explanation with the possibility of extending their knowledge, and a new friend.

A case of "what's mine, no one else shall use" culture, seems to have entered this forum.

Friendly bunch these yachtsmen =========== aren't they.

prv

Visit site
Time was that it was considered OK and friendly to use a mooring if it was vacant, and didn't have a tender attached.

With some exceptions, I think most people still do think that.

The crucial part is this, though:

One stayed onboard ready to move if the owner/user of the mooring returned

Which the owners of the windmill have comprehensively failed to do.

Pete

fireball

Visit site
A case of "what's mine, no one else shall use" culture, seems to have entered this forum.
Well - I think it's more a case of taken without permission and without contact details provided ... at which point most of us would be at least peeved ...
I have no problem with another boat on my mooring - provided they are willing and able to move off on my return - if appropriate they may even lie alongside for a bit ...

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
Had it been on my mooring, which is similarly owned by me on a rented 'spot', I would have donated a length of rope and a lump of concrete, towed it into a shallow water spot and re-moored it. It would be safe for at least several weeks like that and if the owners didn't return within that time I would cease to feel any responsibility.

TeamSpirit

Visit site
They may not be muggers or druggies or benefit cheats BUT what they are is thoughtless! .

Well bit more than thoughtless as isn't this a criminal case of obtaining 'percunary advantage' receiving a service, in this case a mooring from someone else without authority without the intent to pay for said service and to do so is an offence and a matter for the plod. So make a formal complaint, pass the problen to them and they should at least impound the evidence pending enquiries. Any losses incurred are down to offenders.

theoldsalt

Visit site
Had it been on my mooring, which is similarly owned by me on a rented 'spot', I would have donated a length of rope and a lump of concrete, towed it into a shallow water spot and re-moored it. It would be safe for at least several weeks like that and if the owners didn't return within that time I would cease to feel any responsibility.

Would you also move someone's car parked in your reserved space ? The same principles apply. You have no authority or the owner's permission to move it and any damage or resultant costs will be entirely your responsibility. You will be in effect acting illegally. Just because someone else may have acted illegally is no reason or excuse for you to do so.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
Would you also move someone's car parked in your reserved space ? The same principles apply. You have no authority or the owner's permission to move it and any damage or resultant costs will be entirely your responsibility. You will be in effect acting illegally. Just because someone else may have acted illegally is no reason or excuse for you to do so.

If I were able to move the parked car without breaking in then, yes, I would move it. It's not just my spot, it's my driveway. I don't believe I would be acting illegally in moving the vessel either.

fireball

Visit site
Would you move someone's car parked blocking your drive? What if there are double yellows outside your house and the only feasible parking available is an expensive P&Display ...

theoldsalt

Visit site
People who legally remove cars (for example) have to be licenced (ie given authority and regulated) and be insured against liablities. For goodness sake people get real.

I certainly would very strongly object to £100,000 worth of boat being moved without authority. However I would be sympathetic if I had inconvenienced someone by using their mooring without knowing it and even offer to pay compensation if appropriate.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
People who legally remove cars (for example) have to be licenced (ie given authority and regulated) and be insured against liablities. For goodness sake people get real.

I certainly would very strongly object to £100,000 worth of boat being moved without authority. However I would be sympathetic if I had inconvenienced someone by using their mooring without knowing it and even offer to pay compensation if appropriate.

You say "get real" and then try to equate a scabby little Hoby cat with a £100,000 boat. Who's the real 'real'.

winsbury

Visit site
People who legally remove cars (for example) have to be licenced (ie given authority and regulated) and be insured against liablities. .

Cars are a completely different area of law to boats and bearing in mind significant changes to that law came into force as recently as September last year not everyone will be up to date with the new rules - for a summary see http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_cars_and_other_vehicles_e/consumer_driving_and_parking_e/consumer_wheel_clamping_e/when_your_car_can_be_clamped_or_towed_away.htm and http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/consumer_s/consumer_cars_and_other_vehicles_e/consumer_driving_and_parking_e/consumer_wheel_clamping_s/when_your_car_can_be_clamped_or_towed_away_s.htm

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
Would you move someone's car parked blocking your drive?

I've helped to, once. The person whose drive was blocked is a mechanic, so he went and fetched some of those "skates" that you use for pushing cars around a workshop. (If you've not seen them, they have rollers that fit either side of the car wheel, you pump a little hydraulic footpump and the rollers move inwards and pick the wheel up, and then you can slide the car around using swivelling castors on the bottom.) We pushed the car down the road a bit and then sideways into a small turning arm. Not impossible to drive out of, but certainly awkward.

When I was a lot younger I watched my dad gather a bunch of blokes together from a nearby pub, to bodily shift a car that was parked where it shouldn't have been. Can't remember the details, something to do with the annual village carol-singing event.

The Warwick University rowing club had a penchant for picking up parked Minis and turning them round, but I don't condone that :)

Pete

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I've helped to, once. The person whose drive was blocked is a mechanic, so he went and fetched some of those "skates" that you use for pushing cars around a workshop. (If you've not seen them, they have rollers that fit either side of the car wheel, you pump a little hydraulic footpump and the rollers move inwards and pick the wheel up, and then you can slide the car around using swivelling castors on the bottom.) We pushed the car down the road a bit and then sideways into a small turning arm. Not impossible to drive out of, but certainly awkward.

When I was a lot younger I watched my dad gather a bunch of blokes together from a nearby pub, to bodily shift a car that was parked where it shouldn't have been. Can't remember the details, something to do with the annual village carol-singing event.

The Warwick University rowing club had a penchant for picking up parked Minis and turning them round, but I don't condone that :)

Pete

I've seen it done too - "bouncing" a car works, even if the brakes are on, without the need for skates. Rough on the suspension, though!