Something has picked up my mooring!

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
If QHM and the club no nothing about it then you are done your due-diligence as far as can be reasonably expected. Move it to the public/fisherman’s pontoon next to Hardway and leave it there. It is not your responsibility. If it ends up trashed by the local young’uns it's not your problem and the owner will learn a valuable lesson but hopefully that won’t happen.

Giblets

Visit site
I am more than a little surprised at QHM's apparent lack of interest bearing in mind that this is an unidentified (and strange) craft moored near a major naval base. :eek:

Perhaps if the OP calls 'em back and tells them he has heard it ticking!

VicS

Visit site
Thanks for the quick responses :)
I need a wind gen but I dint fancy the criminal damage charges.
It is a Hardway Sailing Club mooring but there is no identification on the blasted thing so with whom can they take action?
I called QHM who knew nothing. They did sent up a police launch to look at it......which they did.....look at it, I mean.....and then they motored away never to be seen again. Again there are no identifying marks at all.

Gerry www.sadler32forsale.com

Have you actually contacted the Club moorings officer (Cliff Read ?). If not, do so..

he might know about it .. if not then perhaps he can take some suitable action... like moving it to the cub pontoon and applying the marine equivalent of wheel clamps.

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
If QHM and the club no nothing about it then you are done your due-diligence as far as can be reasonably expected. Move it to the public/fisherman’s pontoon next to Hardway and leave it there. It is not your responsibility. If it ends up trashed by the local young’uns it's not your problem and the owner will learn a valuable lesson but hopefully that won’t happen.

+1, and give the b******ds a bill for your trouble !

gerryraby1

Visit site
Have you actually contacted the Club moorings officer (Cliff Read ?). If not, do so..

he might know about it .. if not then perhaps he can take some suitable action... like moving it to the cub pontoon and applying the marine equivalent of wheel clamps.

Hi Vic

I have spoken to Mike. He is going to take a look at it tomorrow.

I suggested that I go and cut it free and let it drift down the harbour. Someone who is passing could claim it as salvage and have a new set of solar panels, a wing gen AND a new water tank for home.....Oh and a Hobycat to auction ion Ebay :-0

Gerry www.sadler32forsale.com

gerryraby1

Visit site
Has the QHM been told there's a dangerous vessel in his harbour? It says so in big red letters?

Good point! I wonder what they would do if I towed it down towards the dockyard and set if free on an ebb tide. Do you think the navy would go and blow up an unidentified boat drifting towards Illustrious marked "DANGER KEEP AWAY" :)
Any volunteers?

prv

Visit site
If QHM and the club no nothing about it then you are done your due-diligence as far as can be reasonably expected. Move it to the public/fisherman’s pontoon next to Hardway and leave it there. It is not your responsibility.

+1

You can't reasonably cast it loose - if nothing else it may go on to damage someone else's moored boat - or deliberately damage it. But I can't see that you have any responsibility to the idiots who put it on your mooring to keep it safe either. Moving it to a public place for them to come and get seems reasonable to me. If you can disrupt its transmissions (without damaging it - tinfoil round an antenna?) so they come and investigate then so much the better - don't want it cluttering up the pontoon indefinitely.

What have you done with it for now? Presumably you needed to get your boat onto the mooring.

Pete

jac

Visit site
Just out of interest, where is your boat now?

That is actually a very good question.

Presumably if the owner can be found, you can seek costs from them. So if you are having to pay visitors rates somewhere because they have stolen your mooring you can recover them from the owner or sell the boat to recover your costs?

Andrewdfree

Visit site
Thats exactly what I was thinking. Its not right that someone who has paid for their mooring should have to pay visitor fees elsewhere because someone stole their mooring.

prv

Visit site
Thats exactly what I was thinking. Its not right that someone who has paid for their mooring should have to pay visitor fees elsewhere because someone stole their mooring.

I can't imagine the OP would have gone elsewhere. Surely you'd put your boat on the mooring and hang the interloper off the back like a dinghy until you decided what to do with it.

Pete

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
It is a Hardway Sailing Club mooring . . .
I have spoken to Mike. He is going to take a look at it tomorrow.
As it is a club mooring it is the clubs responsibility to do something about it and I assume you are paying fees for use of a mooring, so you should ask to be allocated another (temporary) mooring until yours is available to you.

Seajet

Visit site
I'd take the thing and tie it to the nearest RN pontoon / buoy / Admirals' Barge, I'm sure they have a way of dealing with things marked ' danger ' for your taxpayers' £ but it might be an idea to call and explain first ! :

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
Someone who would almost certainly seen who towed the Hobbie onto your buoy would be one of the two Water Taxis who run out of Gosport Boatyard (Bill and Julie?). They are out and about most of the day and would have seen a strange sight such as that being slowly towed onto your mooring?

Gosport Boatyard
can be initially contacted on 02392 586 216

As for who owns the platform, there are at least five different companies who would do this type of research/survey work:

Downs & Harbours - http://www.cleanwaterpartnership.co.uk/here.html

EA - http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/research/planning/34383.aspx

Southampton University - http://www.southampton.ac.uk/oes

Cefas - http://www.cefas.defra.gov.uk/our-s...food-safety/shellfisheries-water-quality.aspx

UKD - http://www.ukdredging.co.uk/

Out of interest UKD are dredging currently in Portsmouth Harbour with UKD BLUEFIN and UKD SEALION and they have to monitor the amount of silt that they might disturb and this just might belong to them?