SolentMaster

tcm

Visit site
in line with current government thinking, surely a new and much more relevant qualification is needed. YM (solent) or perhaps Solentmaster.

Detailed questions could include naming a list of late-night eateries at Yarmouth, which pub in Lymington has got a pool table, when to ask a chandler for a discount (always) and how much is fairly straightforward (10%).

Practical exam might include fast rafting at the folly and immediate despatch of one crewmember to bag a table and order the food, jumping the queue at a lock (or at least not getting pushed down the queue) and close-quarter overtaking/or being overtaken on the hamble on a late weekend afternoon. Any other essential elements of the syllabus?

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Well I hesitate to answer this one . but sod it .. timely appropriate riposte and repartee for windward harridae must be an essential part of the curriculum!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
Locks? In the Solent? The bits I sail on are all at sea level.

Other necessary qualifications would be counting the number of eyes ,on the skipper (those in the back of the head counting extra); a minimum of 250 hours of VHF radio-check time to be logged, sailing downwind in a force 5 under mainsail and engine, how to get out of berthing difficulties in a marina with the use of More Throttle and how to convince the berthing master that your BavJeannauSigma 76 is actually only 4 metres long, for accounting purposes (double points for MDL marinas here!).

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Finding the one restaurant that's open in Yarmouth after 2030 on a wet Friday night gets you an immediate pass. And a mention in despatches for learning to pour beer Stingo-fashion.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twister_Ken on 01/07/2003 15:37 (server time).</FONT></P>

duncan

Visit site
Re: Application for SolentMaster

on this basis Forbsie and I wish to apply for the qualification and will submit the appropriate application signed off by Happy, Col and BarryH.
Suppose we just need to know how many stamps to put on the envelope now.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

JeremyF

Visit site
Solentmaster Power & Solentmaster Sail

I think there should be some generic experience targets, that apply to sail and power. For example, proof that in the last 3 months...

Called up marina on CH16 at least twice
Been the target of 5 blasts from shipping at least 3 times
Kept marina awake beyond 2 am at least once with a great party

Solentmaster Power needs its own special achievement objectives. How about causing at least 25 degree pitch/roll for 10 yotties per weekend.

Solentmaster Sail - getting entangled in Sunsail corporate races once a quarter. Accepting a tow from a Solentmaster Power at least once a quarter.

Unlike Yachtmaster, Solentmaster should require proof of achievement of objectives above twice a year. The RYA will add another ten staff to their new offices to administer the Solentmaster scheme.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>Jeremy Flynn/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
Dawn Chorus</font color=red>

Evadne

Visit site
Re: Solentmaster Power & Solentmaster Sail

Marinas? Do they have them in the Solent as well?

The final exam should involve running aground on Bramble Bank, preferably in a ferry or, or failing that, come to a sudden stop on Chichester Bar/Hamble bar/Calshot. Extra points for diving into the mud in Lymington to avoid the ferries.

My favourite place for coming to a sudden stop is the chain ferry at Cowes in September with a summer's worth of barnacles and an SSSI of kelp on the undersides. 4 knots of ebb tide, no wind and 3.9 knots of engine at full chat.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tony_brighton

Visit site
Port Solent + that place opposite Southampton where some prat stopped bang in the middle of the lock last time right as we're coming in with a stiff cross wind.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MADFISH

Visit site
Running aground should also be compulsury at the following places:

Calshot Spit
The Brambles Bank
Hamble Spit

The latter should be done on a falling tide on a sunday afternoon.

Also if you are a motor boat you should leave at least one fender out at all times and use yachts as marks in your imaginary racecourse.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
happened to me once at Island Harbour when I was following someone through on free flow when he suddenly decided to stop for no apparent reason!

<hr width=100% size=1>

MADFISH

Visit site
A mark of distinction should be awarded to small outboard powered motorboats with a cuddy with a child with no lifejacket on sat astride the stemhead fitting, legs over the bow powering around at displacement speeds seemingly at random.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Re: SolentMaster - VHF supplement.

Log (verified by MCA) recording at least 50 radio checks on ch 16. They need not all be done on the same day.

Additionally for stinkies, a correctly worded Mayday call concerning run out of fuel and/or gin.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
lest we forget

Getting bollocked by the Southampton HM launch for being in the 'area of concern' when 87,000 tonnes of containership is a-coming round the bend.

And for extra points - letting off flares during Cowes Week fireworks.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Ignoring the permanent "Harbour Full" sign at Yarmouth and going straight in and rafting up. Asking Solent Coastguard for a radio check every half hour because you never know.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
I\'ve never really sailed in the Solent

But I'd really like one of these - can I do it by correspondence course and will it be recognised as a sort of Oak Cluster or Bar award to any existing RYA thingies I have and can I do the practical in Oban Bay during West Highland Week as it gets quite busy then?

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif