Solent Hard Standing

ChathamSailor

Visit site
Does anyone know where the least expensive haul out, hard standing and hoist back in charges are in the Solent area; marina, clubs, commercial are all fine. I am looking for somewhere to haul out for 3 months in about a year from now. It’s for a 10.4m 12T ketch

Refueler

Visit site
Thornham marina is pretty competitive, but you'd need to check your draught as access is limited. I know that boats up to 1.8m draught can get in and out at high spring tides

I used to have a boat at Thornham ...... because of Nature Conservancy - they were not allowed to dredge approaches ... and my 3ft draft regularly ran aground trying to get to berth ...... on real low neaps - I could not get out of berth.

That was some years ago - so maybe they've had some success in dredging ?

samfieldhouse

Visit site
So my research from last summer was…
Kingston Wharf, Cowes. By far the cheapest. And concrete not gravel!!!!
Medina Boat Yard, Cowes. Cheap but lack of availability.
River Yar Boatyard, Yarmouth. About £40 more but a lovely setting and no sling - they have a sea lift which is nicer for the boat.
IOW is generally more reasonable.
Drivers boatyard on the Itchen but you need to remove your backstay for the crane.

Aeolus

Visit site
I used to have a boat at Thornham ...... because of Nature Conservancy - they were not allowed to dredge approaches ... and my 3ft draft regularly ran aground trying to get to berth ...... on real low neaps - I could not get out of berth.

That was some years ago - so maybe they've had some success in dredging ?
I don't think they can dredge. But boats going ashore can access the boat yard at high tides. With 1.5m draught, I need a high tide of 4.6m or higher but one can plan around that.

ChathamSailor

Visit site
We use Hayling Yacht Company.

Tidal restrictions but good prices and very flexible. Small useful chandlery on site, all services on site or nearby.

Boats are hauled out on a Roodberg Hydraulic trailer.

Worth a punt. Speak to Richard.
Now that’s a very good idea indeed! Need to check weight restrictions as trailer haul outs tend to be under 10T

ChathamSailor

Visit site
Don’t know how relatively expensive it is but Victoria quay next to royal clarence have a good travel hoist and good people. Relatively new set up owned I think by abp
Cost at Victoria Quay as of today for a 10.4m boat is £597.79 for lift , wash, block, relaunch plus £12.03 per day up to 8 weeks ( £1271 total).

ChathamSailor

Visit site
Did you factor in the cost of commuting to IoW to work on the boat? unless of course you are resident or living aboard.
Indeed : Isle of Wight is not practical for me, for exactly those reasons , Poole may be better, will check that option out, although Hayling Island may also be very good as would Thornham. Very good suggestions for comparison.

Babylon

Visit site
Call Gareth at Driver's Dry Berthing, Drivers Wharf, Northam Rd, Southampton SO14 0PF.

Had my boat out there for month or so last year for a 10yr survey and various bits of work - urban and a bit gritty but secure and much cheaper than the fancy yards.

Refueler

Visit site
We use Hayling Yacht Company.

Tidal restrictions but good prices and very flexible. Small useful chandlery on site, all services on site or nearby.

Boats are hauled out on a Roodberg Hydraulic trailer.

Worth a punt. Speak to Richard.

HYCo ....

U7j2H7el.jpg

Was there for a number of years .....

Refueler

Visit site
Cost at Victoria Quay as of today for a 10.4m boat is £597.79 for lift , wash, block, relaunch plus £12.03 per day up to 8 weeks ( £1271 total).

Boy am I glad to be away from Solent prices !!

I pay here in Ventspils Latvia :
80 euros a month berth incl water /electric - same rate on shore .... choice of Baltic Bow to moor or pontoon.
80 euros a lift out, 80 euros lift in

9AA2QFLl.jpg

I'm having underhull completely stripped of antifoul and primers : 1267 euros incl VAT
2 coats primer + 2 coats hard race antifoul : 490 euros

Boat is 38ft.